6moons.com review of the Lorelei up today

klaus@odyssey

« on: 16 Oct 2003, 08:28 am »
Just giving everybody a heads up:

The Lorelei review on  www.6moons.com will be up today.

Late,
Klaus

byteme

« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2003, 02:59 pm »
YEAH!!  I've been checking every day for two weeks now!!  I'm guessing they liked them otherwise you wouldn't be giving us the heads up huh?   :wink:

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2003, 03:51 pm »
Great I was checking the site three times a day...

LadyDog

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2003, 04:05 pm »
Klaus,
Congrats, it looks like you have yourself another winner! Once the family gets settled down here in Florida we will continue our talks about my new speaker purchase. :)  

Regards,
Jeff

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/odyssey/lorelei.html

byteme

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2003, 04:05 pm »
It's up!  And I think he liked them  :o

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/odyssey/lorelei.html

The pictures alone are worth the trip.  The review is great, congrats Klaus, I enjoyed it despite the reviewers writing style which made for a difficult IMO read.

Marbles

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2003, 04:51 pm »
Great review...but...did Srajan really say he could lick his own balls, or did he say he could lick a Dogs hairy balls??? :o   :P

byteme

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2003, 06:59 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Great review...but...did Srajan really say he could lick his own balls, or did he say he could lick a Dogs hairy balls??? :o   :P

I think he said he could...

"Because, like the dog lubricating his hairy manliness, I can. "

And that's the kind of thing I was talking about regarding his writing style.  Not that he used the ball licking dog as a metaphor, but why couldn't he have just said "like the dog licking his neuticals, I can" rather than trying to twist it into something else??  I mean, lubricating his hairy manliness almost give you the image of a dog all covered in baby oil with a copy of Playdog in one paw and his rig in the other.

Eric D

« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2003, 09:00 pm »
I like some diversions and wild analogies in reviews to keep them from being dry, but that was just a bit too meandering in the middle.

That being said, he sure said a lot of what I heard when I experienced them at HE2003.  And I also thought he did a good job of putting his comments in context of his listening experience, and by doing so made his review more believable.

And if you believe the review, they are a fantastic value - sure sounded like it to me.  I preferred them over much more expensive setups at the show.  

Congrats!

P.S.  If he hadn't been so indirect, we wouldn't have been treated to Byteme's vivid imagery.   :lol:

lo mein

« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2003, 01:58 am »
Sir Klaus?  :lol:

Nice review.

amandarae

« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2003, 06:31 am »
Very nice indeed!
 :thumb:

:notworthy: :rock: Congratulations Klaus! :rock:  :notworthy:

For the first time, the term "Dragon Slayer" becomes appropriate when describing a product!  If somebody cannot recognize the price/value/performance of this unit based on the review alone.....better check his/her pulse.  Or else you will smell something really bad in a couple of days or so. :scratch:

Sa-dono

« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2003, 08:29 am »
Very nice review of the Loreleis indeed! The reviewer was a tad overly grandiloquent though.

I would certainly like to hear a pair one of these days. My only concern is the following:
"Directly on-axis, the extreme treble was slightly emphasized but quickly remedied by facing the boxes straight out. My intuition predicts a gently rising response above 6kHz on the scope, to complement the astounding LF extension as a necessary counterweight and to prevent undue shadowing or congealing."

Any comments on the above statement from Klaus, or those that have heard these speakers (preferrably on-axis)?

Congrats on the review Klaus! I hope more people get a chance to hear your speakers..as it seems like they live up to the great value your preamps and amps provide.

MaxCast

« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2003, 12:01 pm »
One would have to consider the amp, pre, source and room to know if this is a trait of the speaker or system.  Of course there is the added possibility of influence from the audiophile tone control.....wires.  :?:

Sa-dono

« Reply #12 on: 18 Oct 2003, 06:44 am »
Quote from: MaxCast
One would have to consider the amp, pre, source and room to know if this is a trait of the speaker or system.  Of course there is the added possibility of influence from the audiophile tone control.....wires.  :?:

Well Srajan doesn't list his gear or describe his room in the review....presumably because he is too busy "lubricating his hairy manliness." :rotflmao:

He does describe his room, show pictures, and list his gear here. Below is some relevant information, for the lazy.

"The relevant audiophile data? Cairn Fog v2.0 with 24/192 upsampler card and after-market BNC digital out compliments of Chris Johnson from the Parts ConneXion. It feeds the glorious Zanden Audio Model 5000 MkIII DAC via Chris Sommovigo's i2digital X60 coaxial digital interconnect, BNC-to-BNC. From there, a pair of Analysis Plus Solo Crystal connects the DAC's 1V tube-powered signal to the Bel Canto PRE1. From there, HMS Gran Finale wire to the AUDIOPAX Model 88 monos. A shotgun biwire run of HMS Grand Finale juices the DUOs whose tweeter horn connects with the midrange horn via a custom Gran Finale jumper. All power cords are HMS Energia except for the Audio Magic Clairvoyant between the Walker Audio Velocitor and the WorldPower cryo'd wall outlet. The Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack sits on Apex footers as do the DUOs, a Furutech RD-2 disc demagnetizer and Walker Audio Vivid perform far-out but benign, not bovine audible voodoo."

"How does the main system sound? By virtue of venting into a doorless width of 56 feet total (the sound barely changes with the curtains in the archway closed), there are no audible bass nodes - none. Bass from the depths of hell equals bass from Heaven. Naturally, such an amount of raw air volume also leans out the sound. Fortunately, minor adjustments on the DUOs' active woofer attenuators and crossover pots ameliorated in a Taos minute what otherwise could have been a fatal hunger strike. The listening triangle's dimensions now are 11' x 11' x 8.5', placing me two feet closer than before, with the speakers a bit closer to the front wall as well. As a result, I'm not getting quite the soundstage depth I reveled in before. However, tonal density has grown to rather scary proportions for that virtual reality intensity. I'm not done fine-tuning yet but already know that I'm home-free - bound for first-rate sound. A good thing, too. My career as head moonie woulda come to a premature conclusion otherwise. Final adjustments? Those will simply be a matter of experimenting with minute speaker positioning changes, active control settings and the TimbreLock bias changes possible on the SEP monos. A pair of heavy brocade drapes suspend between the speakers on the front wall to absorb early reflections, the two longer banners previously in that position (albeit hung from the ceiling) now buffer the backwall on either side of the Afghan Kilim chair."

Not quite my ideal listening environment, but he may have changed things around since, and I have not listened in his room. Since I will likely never hear the Loreleis in his room, with his gear, I figure it would be more helpful to get info straight from the source (aka Klaus). So any thoughts Klaus, or anyone else that has listened to Loreleis directly on axis?

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #13 on: 18 Oct 2003, 08:51 am »
Sadono,

Good link etc.

Well,  hard to say what the room really does without listening to a reference system in it,  of course.  Furthermore,  I haven't personally listened to pretty much most of Srajan's equipment either,  and obviously,  (as I said over and over again,  and as anybody should tell anybody who gives those plain "a is better than b"  statements over and over again) synergy is everything.  Everything.

So,  a couple of interesting issues come to light:
1.  Srajan made a point that these speakers worked great with pretty much any amp that he used.  Which is true to a certain extent in that the speakers really don't Jackyl and Hyde on you even with an amp mismatch.  However,  I also know that they love current and speed.  Look at the drivers and the x-over.  So,  obviously an amp like a big tube unit or a high current unit such as the Stratos works wonders in quite a few different ways.

2.  Srajan's room is indeed made for bass extension.  Yes,  the Loreleis are indeed very extended, but at the same time,  his kind of room also tends to not bring out the maximum of information,  let's say.  Also depends on how you listen.  If it's mostly nearfield,  then all of this is academic.    However,  one of the reasons why the Duos are apparently so fantastic in his setup is a bit due to the character of his room.  In different setups (and of course also taking into account the equipment)  I have heard Avantgardes sound anything from neutral to overly analytical,  or less "round" for a lack of a better word.  I think that his room indeed gives systems ceretain characters.  Having said that,  the apparent (again, haven't listened in it) character of his room, however,  is dead-on for his listening and reviewing style.  Much, much better than other guys out there that listen in a "glass house".  Also,  having read some of his reviews on pieces that I know,  I must say that I completely trust his hearing.

3.  As for the setup of the Loreleis:  
- they really benefit tremendeously from the setup formula as given in our web site  for minimalizing 1st and 2nd wave of reflection.
-  they really need to be at least 2-3 feet of the rear wall.  The bass extension comes with quite a bit of air pressure through the rear port,  and , for example,  the dancing plants behind the speakers in Lima were a pretty good attraction,  hehehe.
-  with the axis setup:  yes,  I've listened to them sitting straight ahead,  which is actually valid in a bigger room because of the dispersion rate of the Scan's.  Facing the speakers directly at you,  I dislike.  Now you can tone up the detail tremendeously,  yes,  but to me,  music is too much in your face this way.  Calls too much attention,  kind of "hey listen to me"  in a way that very analytical (there are so many) amps and pres do for example.   Personally  I like them toed in just a few degrees.  Here you have a wonderful flow of the musical texture, harmonics, and 3 d information.  The perfect compromise for this speaker,  and you can put them a mile apart without loosing any of that.
-  However,  obviously some amps with a ,  let's say, very strong personality can change all of the above,  of course.

4.  Lastly,  because of the Scan 9700  and Rolf's ridiculous x-over,  I have to say that yes, you can get more detail out of the speakers with system approach,  room setup,  and room environments.  However,  the one thing that I didn't succeed in yet (even when playing Deutsche Grammophone records  and using  early Audioquest cables) is to get the damn tweeter bright.  It is so well dampened and so neutral,  that I really believe that the darn Scan 9700  is the absolutely perfect piece for this design,  ringtweeters and torpedos be damned,  hehehe.

Hope that this gives you a bit more of an idea,

Klaus

Marbles

« Reply #14 on: 18 Oct 2003, 04:55 pm »
Srajan said "Capable of higher-than-good-for-you decibels without obvious compression or nastiness, they reminded me of the nOrh SM6.9s in their feisty mien, but with a more lit-up treble than the implementation of Vifa's ring radiator in the Thai drums manages."

I said "For those that have heard the nOrh 6.9, the tweeter of the Lorilie's reminds me very much of when I heard Maxcasts 6.9's.

It's been a long time since I heard them so my memory could be off, but when I first heard cymbals on the Lor's my first thought was of how much I thought they reminded me of that long ago listening session."

Funny how we both compared them to the same speaker........

Here were my thoughts when I had the Lorelies for a few days a year ago.  It seems Srajan and I agree on most things on how they sound.

http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8535&highlight=lorelies