Hello from PA

lewdogg

Hello from PA
« on: 23 Apr 2019, 03:13 pm »
New member from Harrisburg, PA. Looking forward to digging into threads about value floorstanding speakers around $2,000. Can anyone direct me to the best place to look? Thanks so much!!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello from PA
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2019, 04:18 pm »
Welcome Lewdoog :thumb: Do you mean say new or used?
Values of used tend to vary according to supply/demand.
After 3 approved post you will allowed to search and other features.

twitch54

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2019, 04:50 pm »
welcome Lew, from another 'Pennsyltucky' resident !

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2019, 05:51 pm »
Welcome!

lewdogg

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2019, 06:54 pm »
Welcome Lewdoog :thumb: Do you mean say new or used?
Values of used tend to vary according to supply/demand.
After 3 approved post you will allowed to search and other features.

Thanks! Yeah searching will help.  :wink:

New or used, I'm not picky. Obviously used is better value.

syzygy

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2019, 07:23 pm »
Greetings from Picksburgh!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2019, 08:49 pm »
Welcome! 

I'm a proponent of monitors/subs versus floor standers.  Floor standers can over power a smaller room and are harder to move if the space is multi-purpose.  Monitors generate mid/high frequencies where best done (away from walls).  A subwoofer can be added and dialed in to add the desired amount of bass, plus they can be located where most effective and additional subs can be used to reduce in-room bass peaks and dips.  Monitors are cheaper than floor standers and easier to ship, making them easier to sell on.

I'm also a proponent of active speaker design (one channel of amplification per driver with low voltage crossover feeding the amps).  Cost is lower compared to separates and performance is greatly enhanced.  Just add a DAC/preamp to your computer with a pair of active monitors to have a complete digital system (like I have). 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2019, 10:48 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC lewdogg    :thumb:

lewdogg

« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2019, 01:14 am »
Welcome! 

I'm a proponent of monitors/subs versus floor standers.  Floor standers can over power a smaller room and are harder to move if the space is multi-purpose.  Monitors generate mid/high frequencies where best done (away from walls).  A subwoofer can be added and dialed in to add the desired amount of bass, plus they can be located where most effective and additional subs can be used to reduce in-room bass peaks and dips.  Monitors are cheaper than floor standers and easier to ship, making them easier to sell on.

I'm also a proponent of active speaker design (one channel of amplification per driver with low voltage crossover feeding the amps).  Cost is lower compared to separates and performance is greatly enhanced.  Just add a DAC/preamp to your computer with a pair of active monitors to have a complete digital system (like I have).

Thanks, JLM!