Hi quality breakers

mikeeastman

Hi quality breakers
« on: 14 Dec 2017, 05:41 pm »
I have dedicated circuits for my system, I had the sub panel and breakers cryoed but I would like to upgrade to a higher quality ac breaker, I'd prefer  a din rail breaker,  I found some made by Schneider Electric that look ok, anyone have any other recommendation?

Thanks, Mike

Nick77

Re: Hi quality breakers
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2017, 06:01 pm »
Very interesting, I didn't know breakers could make a difference?? Have you been able to confirm this?

I have dedicated circuits to my audio room also, with 10ga cryo wire. I would be interested in upgraded breakers as well if it makes a difference.

What is a Din rail breaker?

Thanks........

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2017, 06:14 pm »
A DIN rail breaker is for use in industrial products, it may not have approval for use in a residential system.

Never ever cryo a circuit breaker!!!
The breaker depends on spring tension and other metal properties. Cryo will most likely chance those properties.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2017, 06:19 pm »
What is a Din rail breaker?
DIN standard is German not US, but dont let Wayner know you are using it;

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2017, 06:33 pm »
anyone have any other recommendation?
You dont mentiopn if you will need 1,2 or 3 poles.
In my country the B curve circuit breakers are used to work w/electric showers, heaters, electric ovens and incandescent light bulbs.

The action C-curve circuit breakers run w/washing machines, electric motors in general, fluorescent lamps.

D-curve circuit breakers are used to networks with large loads, such as transformers.

There are 2 other safety circuit breakers types:
DR residual differential protects people or animals from electric shocks.

DPS Surge Protection Device serves to protect electronic equipment connected to the electrical circuit, seems suited to computer and CD Players.

Maybe hi Amp DPS be suited to big amps.

mikeeastman

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2017, 06:48 pm »
They are single pole breakers, 1-15 amp and 1-20amp. It seems logical that if the wire makes a difference than the breakers would also. I use din breakers, both A/C and D/C all the time in my solar installs and they meet all the codes. I'm just looking for the highest quality I can find.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2017, 07:02 pm »
They are single pole breakers, 1-15 amp and 1-20amp. It seems logical that if the wire makes a difference than the breakers would also. I use din breakers, both A/C and D/C all the time in my solar installs and they meet all the codes. I'm just looking for the highest quality I can find.
Breakers are rated for safety not for sound quality, in this case you will have to relie in personal opinions and snake oil marketing talk.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2017, 07:43 pm »
  Siemens non magnetic breakers sound good to me. I believe they have silver contacts available.

charles

maty

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2017, 08:00 pm »
I wrote days ago:

Re: Icepower 1200AS amp. Class D like you've never heard before

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=153645.msg1647460#msg1647460

In Europe, Schnneider residual current Super immune circuit breaker is a very good idea if you have a dedicated line to audio equipment => additional protection in front the harmonics at mains in polluted environments and networks.

Why?

The electricity network is getting dirtier every day. The widespread use of cheap SMPS, cheap electrical motors, air conditioners (they add DC at mains too)....  usually made in East Asia (China). And bad electrical installations in elevators, and...

https://www.schneider-electric.com/en/search/inmmunized

https://www.schneider-electric.com/en/search/Super+immune

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2017, 09:29 pm »
With out a doubt they are safe and of high quality. But solar panel systems are more like industrial products than a residential main breaker box (panel board).

The NEC & UL have rules that state a product has to be listed for a particular use.

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2017, 09:43 pm »
I wrote days ago:

Re: Icepower 1200AS amp. Class D like you've never heard before

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=153645.msg1647460#msg1647460

Can you post a quote or something about what this "super immune" deal is? I gave up searching.

mikeeastman

« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2017, 10:14 pm »
I got on the phone and contacted a couple of electrical tech guys and they both recommended the Sq D QOU breakers. One guy said he used to install high end systems in the Chicago area and he always used those breakers. I ordered some and will let you know what happen.

Mike B.

« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2017, 11:10 pm »
I have taken apart a couple different brand breaks in the past. I was looking at how I could improve them. Those I disassembled were made up of both non magnetic and magnetic metal parts. Not ideal IMO. I did cryo my breaker of the dedicated circuit. I think the best approach would be a old style screw in fuse or cartridge style fuse panel. The parts that matter are all no magnetic. Buss bars are copper. They might or might not meet code depending on location/rules and regulations?

mikeeastman

« Reply #13 on: 14 Dec 2017, 11:17 pm »
I was thinking about using audiophile fuses, they make fairly decent fuse holder for car audio that will easily handle 20 amps+.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 14 Dec 2017, 11:36 pm »
I think the best approach would be a old style screw in fuse or cartridge style fuse panel. The parts that matter are all no magnetic.
In the 1970s I rented a apto which had these fuses you mention, they had a ceramic body.

jea48

« Reply #15 on: 15 Dec 2017, 01:19 am »
I have dedicated circuits for my system, I had the sub panel and breakers cryoed but I would like to upgrade to a higher quality ac breaker, I'd prefer  a din rail breaker,  I found some made by Schneider Electric that look ok, anyone have any other recommendation?

Thanks, Mike

I see you live in the US.

Per NEC code only breakers specified by the manufacture of the electrical panel can be installed in the panel. Branch circuits breakers used are combination Thermal/Magnetic. 

What manufacture and type of sub panel did you have installed?

Copper bus or aluminum bus?

Square D QO uses plated copper bus in their load centers.

Cutler hammer also makes a load center that uses non plated copper bus. I think Siemens does as well.

Personally I like the Square D QO.

Stay away from load centers that use aluminum bus.

Square D Homeline brand has aluminum bus. Square D started making this residential panel many years ago to compete with other manufactures that use aluminum bus in their panels.

« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2017, 07:56 am by jea48 »

Folsom

« Reply #16 on: 15 Dec 2017, 01:40 am »
I would be more interested in finding a higher frequency inverter.

mikeeastman

« Reply #17 on: 15 Dec 2017, 03:28 am »
I'm using Sq D QOU DIN rail breakers in an aluminum box made for solar. Eliminates the buss.

jea48

« Reply #18 on: 15 Dec 2017, 01:35 pm »
I'm using Sq D QOU DIN rail breakers in an aluminum box made for solar. Eliminates the buss.

Interesting. You are the first person I know of that has posted on an audio forum that uses a breaker DIN Rail system to feed branch circuit wiring for an audio system.
Edit: I have read posts where someone was using an Isoclean electrical panel board. Which I should add is not approved for use in the US for its' represented intended use.
http://www.unitedhomeproducts.com/id171.htm

Square D QOU breakers.
http://www.starlinepower.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2015/11/QOU.pdf

What type/manufacture breakers are you using now?

Did you build, assemble, your own electrical panel board?

How many branch circuit breakers are install in the electrical panel enclosure?

What type of aluminum enclosure did you use to house the breakers? Hinged front cover? Does the electrical panel enclosure have dead front?

How did you feed the Line side of the breakers?

What size of wire did you feed the sub panel with? Feeder (feed) breaker size?
120V only?

Sorry for all the question. Your post peaked my curiosity.

Jim

mikeeastman

« Reply #19 on: 15 Dec 2017, 02:04 pm »
 Din rail breaker are commonly used in Europe and in solar system in the USA. I'm using SqD Homeline breakers and sub panel now, it has 2 circuits 1-15 amp and 1-20amp. The enclosure I plan to use is this https://www.solar-electric.com/baby-box.html. Or I thought I might try making one and line it with copper sheeting. Din breakers have wire connecters for both input and output so tho wire is connected directly to the breaker, which I feel gives a better connection than a plug in type breaker. I feed the sub panel with #6 cryoed wire, tied directly to my inverter and the dedicated circuits use #8 cryoed romex. As my power is supplied by inverter it only puts out 120v.