9000ES Mods Improved!

modwright

9000ES Mods Improved!
« on: 18 Aug 2004, 05:22 pm »
I am listening to a Sony 9000ES with our latest Signature Truth modifcations and I am very pleased ;).  The 9000ES is feeding the latest version of our Beta SWL 9.0 linestage with PS 9.0 power supply (Production units WILL be shipping in Oct!), feeding a pair of Channel Islands monoblocks (AMAZING! $999/Pr.!!! - Mods available soon for these), feeding my modified Greybeard KB/2/2 loudspeakers with KB/W woofer modules.

The soundstage is INCREDIBLE and overall detail and transparency are HUGELY improved.  Compared to our previous 9000ES Signature Truth Mods, the whole sound is taken to the NEXT LEVEL.

Details:

1) Power Supply updated to 'Hot Rod' supply as used with 999ES mods and as reviewed.
2) Revelation Audio Cryo Silver Reference umbilical used on both preamp and 9000ES.
3) MAJOR revision to the player digitgal section, where the audio signal is fed to the tube stage.  Now ALL op-amps are removed as are Sony's 'Current Pulse D/A IC's'.  PURE SIGNAL IS TAKEN STRAIGHT FROM VC24 CHIP TO TUBE STAGE - DIRECT COUPLED!!!

There is now only a single capacitor directly in the tube stage - an Auricap a the output.  Two poles of analog filtering are used to address HF 'noise' from DSD chip.  That's it...clean, simple and glorious sounding.

Existing 9000ES customers may have their units upgraded with new power supply design and above mentioned digital board revisions:

Cost = $350; $575 with upgrade to Revelation Audio umbilical in trade for stock umbilical.

Current Signature Mod price for 9000ES = $1300, $1525 w/Revelation Umbilical.

Comparing the 999ES and 9000ES with these mods is difficult as they both have their own tonal characteristic, but both are excellent.  If you already have a 9000ES, it is a 'no-brainer' in my opinion. These units can also be had VERY cheaply on Audiogon right now.

Thanks,

Dan W.

rbrb

9000ES Mods Improved!
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2004, 05:44 pm »
Dan if someone did not presently own either the 999ES or the 9000ES which would you chose knowing that they were going to upgraded/modified?

Multi-channel playback is not a priority.

modwright

9000ES vs 999ES
« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2004, 03:48 am »
Well, that is a good question as both units are exceptional.  The 999ES does have MCH and better video performance, but doesn't have the build quality of the 9000ES.

I would say the main difference is a slightly different tonal character, with the 999ES having a bit more forward and detailed presentation and the 9000ES offers a bit fuller and darker sound.  These differences are pretty slight though, as both are both very neutral.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Dan