Another NX-Studio and Servo Sub build

Captainhemo

Re: Another NX-Studio and Servo Sub build
« Reply #20 on: 2 Apr 2021, 05:10 pm »
Fltguy,
The top lip where the cover goes was edge banded with White Oak veneer. Prior to the placement of the veneer the whole case was sealed with sanding sealer as recommended by others. The bottom of the top baffle (if that's the right term) will be lined with Norez and the sides will be lined with felt as recommended by Danny.
The bottom is still off and will not be veneered since it has the same footprint as the top of the speaker stand. I'm toying with the idea of just screwing the bottom in since the fit is so tight and the Norez will seal the perimeter. Also, the speaker case will be bolted to the speaker stand. That way I have another way of access the crossover if needed. I don't think that will be a problem, but others would know.
Mark

They are looking good  man  :thumb:

You could probably get away with screwing in the base, especially being it sits  in a rabbet that  goes around the entire perimeter so it will be pressed up against  a surface.   
The original X-Stadik's  had  a removable   bottom plate  as well and they  were a  sealed  speaker for the   2  M165's,  it was done in a  very similar  way

jay..

coot1957

« Reply #21 on: 2 Apr 2021, 10:40 pm »

John,
Since the bottom and sides will be lined with Norez and felt there is no need to veneer the inside. I believe this is what you were asking about.
Mark

coot1957

« Reply #22 on: 2 Apr 2021, 11:34 pm »

And the transition from the veneer (1/64" thick plus three coats of top coat) to the future painted surface. A straight edge was clamped between the front baffle joint and the side for a clean straight line when installing the veneer.

coot1957

« Reply #23 on: 7 Apr 2021, 02:22 pm »

The face of the monitors painted with satin black lacquer.

Tweeter installed. What worked for me was taping the predrilled holes and slightly countersinking the holes. Because the provided screws are such a  tight fit in the tweeter slot they tend to thread in random directions. The counter sunk holes helped walk the screws into the predrilled holes. A right angle screw driver is a must.

Fltguy

« Reply #24 on: 7 Apr 2021, 04:39 pm »
I like the lacquered satin finish. :thumb:
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2021, 05:39 pm by Fltguy »

coot1957

« Reply #25 on: 12 Apr 2021, 10:00 pm »

Crossovers installed. I need to finish the top cover and waiting on the woofers.

Servo Sub veneered with quarter sawn white oak. Finishing time again.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #26 on: 12 Apr 2021, 10:12 pm »
Looks great!  :thumb:

mkrawcz

« Reply #27 on: 12 Apr 2021, 10:13 pm »
Those speakers look great on those stands. Waiting on the woofers must be torture! Trust me, once you hear them, it will be worth the wait.

coot1957

« Reply #28 on: 12 Jun 2021, 08:25 pm »
Completed!! And sounding great!!

mkrawcz

« Reply #29 on: 12 Jun 2021, 08:46 pm »
Those speakers look great! They will continue to sound even better through the first 100hrs.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 12 Jun 2021, 10:10 pm »
Fantastic work! Hope you enjoy continue to enjoy them for ages to come!  :thumb:

Sonicjoy

« Reply #31 on: 13 Jun 2021, 01:52 pm »
Something to keep in mind, if you do make the bottom removable you will need to make the wires longer in order to be able to pull the bread board down and out to work on it. Personally I would not worry about that and would rather the box be one solid unit. Just make sure you can reach the mounting screws from the woofer opening.

Redheart

« Reply #32 on: 15 Jun 2021, 06:29 pm »
Very nice work and inspiring! I like the oak veneer and the black face, it's very classy! Enjoy!

jlucas

« Reply #33 on: 4 Aug 2021, 11:32 am »
The bottom is still off and will not be veneered since it has the same footprint as the top of the speaker stand. I'm toying with the idea of just screwing the bottom in since the fit is so tight and the Norez will seal the perimeter. Also, the speaker case will be bolted to the speaker stand. That way I have another way of access the crossover if needed. I don't think that will be a problem, but others would know.
Mark
Mark, what was your final method?  Got pictures?  I like the access idea and I’m about to glue up my flat pack.

Jeremy

coot1957

« Reply #34 on: 5 Aug 2021, 10:15 pm »
Hi Jeremy,
Nothing special regarding the glue up method. My flatpack fit together so well the bottom did not needed to be in place to keep the speaker square when assembling. For me leaving the bottom off made sealing the interior and installing the no-rez a whole lot easier. I did end up gluing the bottom on once the crossover board was mounted. Sorry no additional pictures, but if you need more information you can can PM me.
I currently have about 60 hours on the NX-Studios and the subwoofer and they sound great! I'm still blown away by the detail in the sound!
Hope that helps,
Mark

WarmColors

« Reply #35 on: 22 Aug 2021, 03:30 pm »
A few more images:

A crossover view.

And another

Servo Sub Kit No 2 final assemble.

I am building my crossover today, I am using your picture as a reference, but I cant quite make up where the connections go in this corner of the crossover.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 22 Aug 2021, 03:34 pm »
Those look like the returns from the tweeter and woofer. Going to the ground

WarmColors

« Reply #37 on: 23 Aug 2021, 12:48 am »
Those look like the returns from the tweeter and woofer. Going to the ground

Before I start using my soldering iron, I just want to double check that the gauge inductor that's vertical "standing up" is the bigger mh? or is it the other gauge inductor with the lesser value? according to the corner picture I uploaded earlier today? I am literally following the picture to how mine should look like.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 23 Aug 2021, 12:52 am »
The big one is the one lying down, the smaller one is the one standing up.

WarmColors

« Reply #39 on: 23 Aug 2021, 01:09 am »
ty