Netflix: What to watch?

JoshK

Re: Netflix: What to watch?
« Reply #380 on: 9 Feb 2018, 02:02 am »
Godless was fantastic, but because I am working from home (contracting) and also seriously sick with the flu, I am crushing all the good ones.   

Mindhunter was good.
https://www.netflix.com/watch/80114856

Dark was even better (subtitled/dubbed).
https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80100172

Other fantastic ones I've seen in recent memory on Netflix are Manhunt: Unabomber.   The latter made me actually look shit up because I didn't believe parts of it. Won't give away.
https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80176878

Anyway, here is my picks of recent one.   Would like good adult comedy or serious intelligent drama recs.   

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #381 on: 9 Feb 2018, 02:10 am »
Godless was fantastic, but because I am working from home (contracting) and also seriously sick with the flu, I am crushing all the good ones.   

Mindhunter was good.
https://www.netflix.com/watch/80114856

Dark was even better (subtitled/dubbed).
https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80100172

Other fantastic ones I've seen in recent memory on Netflix are Manhunt: Unabomber.   The latter made me actually look shit up because I didn't believe parts of it. Won't give away.
https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80176878

Anyway, here is my picks of recent one.   Would like good adult comedy or serious intelligent drama recs.   

Luther staring Idris Elba is great.  British serial killer show.

Bored to Death is funny in a clever way.  Uses Ted Danson effectively. 

Broadchurch is excellent, especially if you have kids.  Punches you in the gut. 

It's not on Netflix, but I also recommend "The Leftovers" from HBO.  It's powerful especially if you've ever been through extended periods of grief.  I found it cathartic. 

If you do any work in the corporate world at all, then "House of Lies" is pretty funny and very on-point. 

WGH

« Reply #382 on: 9 Feb 2018, 02:25 am »
Would like good adult comedy or serious intelligent drama recs.

Altered Carbon - not a comedy but very adult drama it is. Half the time I'm trying to figure out what is happening, just like the characters, then it all makes sense. A very hard boiled detective mystery that evolves into another mystery with plenty of action.

Did I mention it takes place in the future:

JoshK

« Reply #383 on: 9 Feb 2018, 02:37 am »
Luther staring Idris Elba is great.  British serial killer show.

Bored to Death is funny in a clever way.  Uses Ted Danson effectively. 

Broadchurch is excellent, especially if you have kids.  Punches you in the gut. 

It's not on Netflix, but I also recommend "The Leftovers" from HBO.  It's powerful especially if you've ever been through extended periods of grief.  I found it cathartic. 

If you do any work in the corporate world at all, then "House of Lies" is pretty funny and very on-point. 

I think I started Luther...not sure why I quit....it happens....maybe too much.

I do not have kids and in fact that is a salient point between 'us' and 'them'... my g/f has a 15 yo but she is more us than them, not that she doesn't love and cherish him, she does.. there is more to it

WC

« Reply #384 on: 9 Feb 2018, 02:53 am »
Godless was very good.

Travelers was worth watching.

Currently watching the Chronicles of Shanarra.

I think I may move on to Altered Carbon next. Looks interesting.

JoshK

« Reply #385 on: 9 Feb 2018, 02:54 am »
Will look at Travelers, didn't see it

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #386 on: 9 Feb 2018, 03:41 pm »
Altered Carbon is outstanding.  All of the first year episodes are available on Netflix now.

It follows the book closely, which was very hard to do.

Frank Van Alstine

TrungT

« Reply #387 on: 14 Feb 2018, 06:58 am »
Imposters.  :thumb:
2017 TV-14 1 Season.
Supported by a team of fellow thieves, a con artist lures her targets into matrimony and then absconds with their fortunes in this darkly comic series.

777BigAnt777

« Reply #388 on: 14 Feb 2018, 05:49 pm »
Altered Carbon is outstanding.  All of the first year episodes are available on Netflix now.

It follows the book closely, which was very hard to do.

Frank Van Alstine

I gotta watch this now.  The photo on Netflix didn't inspire me, but the photo above and so many recommendations do!  So much to watch, so little free time  :scratch:

Folsom

« Reply #389 on: 20 Feb 2018, 04:01 am »
I just started Altered Carbon.

But I just finished "The End of the F***ing World"

I really liked EFW.

SPL db

« Reply #390 on: 20 Feb 2018, 01:43 pm »
Didn't read the whole thread, but I'll throw out a show called The Ranch.  Sam Elliot, Aston Kutcher, & Danny Masterson all make for a great cast!

thorman

« Reply #391 on: 26 Feb 2018, 07:19 pm »
Just started Season 2 of the Frankenstein Chronicles. Can be a little "Gory" at times, but so is regular Television lately.

Great acting and very realistic Story Line.. Great old world structures too......

xsb7244

« Reply #392 on: 26 Feb 2018, 09:06 pm »
I love Altered Carbon, not for kids.

nature boy

« Reply #393 on: 1 Mar 2018, 10:17 pm »
Wind River
NB

roscoeiii

« Reply #394 on: 1 Mar 2018, 10:49 pm »
I just started Altered Carbon.

But I just finished "The End of the F***ing World"

I really liked EFW.

EFW was great.

Another British series that is something very different is The Detectorists. Nice and calm, lovely break from high tension, action-packed sorts of things.

stlrman

« Reply #395 on: 16 Apr 2018, 04:47 pm »
Season 4 of Chef's Table. This is an amazing series highlighting the greatest chefs from the greatest restaurants in the world. Watch all of them from every season.  This is one of my favorite series ever from Netflix!!!!! :thumb:

shahed

« Reply #396 on: 16 Apr 2018, 05:03 pm »
The new sci-fi original "Lost in Space" is surprisingly good. I'm into 3rd episode. Quite impressed so far.

Mag

« Reply #397 on: 20 May 2018, 06:35 pm »
Watched Anon last night. What a weird movie, a detective thriller/drama in a futuristic cyber virtual world. You have to watch intently or you will get lost in the story line. Gets a little tedious at times trying to follow along but a unique movie.

Clive Owen plays the main character in the movie ( I like his movies as they usually have a good story line).

I give it 3 out of 5 stars because I had to watch so intently. At the end I wasn't sure whether to give it the thumbs up, only cause I generally prefer action movies.

weatherman1

« Reply #398 on: 20 May 2018, 10:10 pm »
 :thumb: :popcorn:  'Anon' is a great story of future human tech but agree that it is a dense plot which requires thought and attention.  Not a mindless time filler but character development and acting are good.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #399 on: 21 May 2018, 02:13 pm »
Wind River is very good, well worth the time and has the most startling/convincing gun shoot outs of any movie I’ve seen.
Terrific acting by all and surprisingly impressive acting by Elizabeth Olsen.