Netflix: What to watch?

persisting1

Re: Netflix: What to watch?
« Reply #240 on: 3 Nov 2016, 07:08 pm »
We just finished up the first two seasons (about 5 episodes each) of Hinterland, which is a detective series set in a not-so-charming section of Wales. There is a third season, but it is not on Netflix quite yet. Overall, Hinterland is worth checking out.

I've been meaning to watch this. Thanks for the reminder.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #241 on: 3 Nov 2016, 08:39 pm »
I've been meaning to watch this. Thanks for the reminder.

Mwynhau!

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #242 on: 3 Nov 2016, 09:22 pm »
Hinterland is coming back around on my PBS station but I didn't pay attention to what season.

Alan

Just checked and no new season  sorry.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #243 on: 4 Nov 2016, 03:48 am »
Just plowed through all 4 seasons of Farscape because I saw on "My List" that Netflix was removing it completely on the 4th of November.  First 1.5 seasons were meh.  Last 2.5 were great.  Love how the main character goes fairly crazy and never really turns back to normal. 

weatherman1

« Reply #244 on: 4 Nov 2016, 11:01 pm »
Penny Dreadful
Containment
ARQ
Retribution
The Honorable Woman
St. Vincent
Hyena Road
May have missed these on earlier entries but IMHO these were all well done with engaging story lines and visuals, and sound.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #245 on: 4 Nov 2016, 11:07 pm »
Penny Dreadful
Containment
ARQ
Retribution
The Honorable Woman
St. Vincent
Hyena Road
May have missed these on earlier entries but IMHO these were all well done with engaging story lines and visuals, and sound.

How do you feel about investing time into canceled programs like Containment?

weatherman1

« Reply #246 on: 5 Nov 2016, 05:37 am »
I wasn't aware Containment was canceled.  It exists on my Netflix feed.  If I watch one episode and find a story that has intriguing possibilities I continue.  The fact that the story could continue for more seasons but gets cancelled is of no consequence.  Not every story narrative needs to have a wrap.  I like to use my imagination and write my own possible conclusions.  I can always find the Belgium story on which this is based. 

drphoto

« Reply #247 on: 5 Nov 2016, 06:25 am »
Black Mirror has some awesome episodes. BBC consistently knocks it out of the park

Last season of Torchwood, "Miracle Day:A world where no one dies. Sounds great, but turns out to be a nightmare. No one dies, but they don't get well, and people keep being born. What to do? uhh.....not pretty.

Dark Matter is not half bad. Maybe not as good as a lot of other shows but pretty entertaining.

Who care if Stranger Things was derivative. It was pretty fun. Those kids did a bang up job. I'm sure the writers would acknowledge it was an homage to Steven King. I loved "Stand by Me" so I suppose I was predisposed to like this show.

Really like Daredevil.

I may look at buying stock in Netflix, they seem be on the road to being a major player, especially as a lot of us cut out cable TV in favor of internet content.

(Which only sucks when I can't watch the golf majors, or baseball playoffs, but hey I suppose I can get a cheap TV antenna for network TV broadcast.....ya know....old school)

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #248 on: 5 Nov 2016, 03:54 pm »
Watch "Undecided" on Netflix before Tuesday. It is hilarious.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #249 on: 8 Nov 2016, 08:31 pm »
Im really enjoying season 2 of Dark Matter. Good production values, interesting plots. Reminds me of kind of a "dark" Farscape without the aliens.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #250 on: 8 Nov 2016, 09:01 pm »
I recently enjoyed "Where To Invade Next" by Michael Moore.
http://michaelmoore.com/movies/where-to-invade-next/
...although to describe it as 'funny' (as was done in the ad) is ludicrous.

persisting1

« Reply #251 on: 8 Nov 2016, 09:37 pm »
Im really enjoying season 2 of Dark Matter. Good production values, interesting plots. Reminds me of kind of a "dark" Farscape without the aliens.

I'll have to give this a look. It has two producers/writes behind Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #252 on: 8 Nov 2016, 10:24 pm »
Dark Matter is a surprise. Much better than you might think reading about the concept.

On BBC America, I've been watching The Living and The Dead.

Tyson

« Reply #253 on: 8 Nov 2016, 11:06 pm »
I'll have to give this a look. It has two producers/writes behind Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis.

SG Atlantis was awesome - so bummed when it only lasted one season. 

Saw first season of Dark Matter, gonna have to check out season 2 now (after I finish Luke Cage).

Mike B.

« Reply #254 on: 8 Nov 2016, 11:53 pm »
Lambert and Stamp is a interesting doc. About the two guys who signed the Who when they were a local pub band. And, then managed them a number of years. More to the story which makes it interesting.

YashN

« Reply #255 on: 9 Nov 2016, 04:50 am »
Who care if Stranger Things was derivative. It was pretty fun. Those kids did a bang up job. I'm sure the writers would acknowledge it was an homage to Steven King. I loved "Stand by Me" so I suppose I was predisposed to like this show.

I care: I get bored watching unoriginal shows and movies.

It's an 'homage' if you want to call it that to Stand By Me, E.T., The Goonies, Aliens...

and way too many more as well.

Here's a video with the 'homages' side-by-side...

YashN

« Reply #256 on: 9 Nov 2016, 04:52 am »
Just plowed through all 4 seasons of Farscape because I saw on "My List" that Netflix was removing it completely on the 4th of November.  First 1.5 seasons were meh.  Last 2.5 were great.  Love how the main character goes fairly crazy and never really turns back to normal.

Farscape is one of the best ever and gets really good when there's sufficient time for the larger story arcs to develop, so some people may not like it in the first season or more as you found out. Very enjoyable SF. Moya being organic is a nice touch as well.

Tyson

« Reply #257 on: 9 Nov 2016, 11:47 pm »
Farscape is one of the best ever and gets really good when there's sufficient time for the larger story arcs to develop, so some people may not like it in the first season or more as you found out. Very enjoyable SF. Moya being organic is a nice touch as well.

You are right, it was great.  I was skeptical because it looked like a cheap Canadian show that would be facile and cliched.  And it sort of was that first season.  But then it seemed like the writers kind of said "eh, screw it - let's GO FOR IT".  Not too much different than one of my other favorite irreverent and well written shows: Supernatural.  Supernatural struggled through 2 pretty bad seasons before the writers just decided to start having hella fun.  Oh, I notice that all 11 seasons are on Netflix now, too.  Highly recommended if you like "Buffy for Bros" as someone here on AC once put it.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #258 on: 10 Nov 2016, 03:02 am »
Farscape is in my all time top 5 of TV shows! :thumb:

Folsom

« Reply #259 on: 10 Nov 2016, 06:23 am »
I liked it. Babylon 5 I liked back when. And I watched all of Enterprise on Netflix, it hurt when I finished it; plus the ending wasn't so good. Otherwise I'm not huge on Startrek. Dark Matter is ok. I'm a bit of a sucker for space ship shows.