RMAF 2011 Final thoughts.

chester_audio

Re: RMAF 2011 Final thoughts.
« Reply #60 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:16 pm »
Well, to quote Granny Hawkins from Josey Wales, "I say that big talk's worth doodly-squat."

How many of you have ever set up a room at a show?

Pez

« Reply #61 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:17 pm »
I have over several years. This one included.

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #62 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:20 pm »
Best Sound at RMAF 2011 to these humble ears - and no, I did not visit every room:
Coincident Loudspeakers and Electronics.   Sound was exactly what I having been dreaming of for 40 years of being in this hobby. 
Next best but a very close second:
Sanders Electrostatics and Electronics. 
Both of these systems made the hair on my arms stand up - no it wasn't static because of the dry mountain air.
BTW - No treatments in either room - can't imagine what sonic heights would have been heard if there had been!

chester_audio

« Reply #63 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:23 pm »
as I thought, none of you

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #64 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:25 pm »
Well, to quote Granny Hawkins from Josey Wales, "I say that big talk's worth doodly-squat."

You do realize that it's not hard to do.  Right?  Computer, mic stand, calibrated mic and sound card and you can see what you have.  Measurements DO NOT lie.   :duh:  Pez know's this and that's why he is confident.

Am I correct Pez?   :)

Pez

« Reply #65 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:26 pm »
Ummm....  :scratch: :scratch:

Let me try again....

I HAVE HELPED SET UP ROOMS OVER SEVERAL YEARS

chester_audio

« Reply #66 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:28 pm »
then why haven't you gotten everyone straightened out? It's so damn easy

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #67 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:28 pm »
as I thought, none of you

I've offered to help this community here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99284.0

I've helped setup many systems.  In fact, this past weekend I did. 

chester_audio

« Reply #68 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:30 pm »
not someone's home. try at La quinta

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #69 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:32 pm »

Bring it on! 

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #70 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:34 pm »

With all due respect - that is not the point.
I am not in the speaker building business - they are.  This is a "show" - so show your best or don't show up. 
Although the Von Schweikert new VR44 speakers driven by Purity Audio electronics was not my favourite speaker, my congrats to them for actually hiring Jeff Hedback from HD Acoustics to do the room treatment of the room.
The GR Research room ALWAYS sounds great because Danny Ritchie makes sure that the room is treated.  In past years Danny and his team actually took the time to drive over to the local Home Depot and bought huge bags of insulation which he strategically placed behind  makeshift black curtains.  After the room he returned the unopened bags for a refund.  That is exactly what Danny told me a few years ago.  That is using your head as a speaker manufacturer.  Cost him nothing - made the room sound fantastic.
Here is what bothers me - how can I have confidence in a speaker product if the manufacturer/designer/distributor cannot figure out how to make a single room sound, if not perfect, at least presentable?

orientalexpress

« Reply #71 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:37 pm »
And hot show babes greeting everyone.

That got me everytime  :o,it's got me to stay longer even tho the system suck.

lapsan

chester_audio

« Reply #72 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:39 pm »
this is the same complaint, year after year, and you guys keep going and expecting them to have primo showroom sound.

What was that definition of insanity? Same thing, expecting different outcomes.

Don_S

« Reply #73 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:43 pm »
this is the same complaint, year after year, and you guys keep going and expecting them to have primo showroom sound.

What was that definition of insanity? Same thing, expecting different outcomes.

Absolutely Chester,  I expect the manufacturers who use the same size room in the same hotel over multiple years to finally figure it out.   :lol:

taoggniklat

« Reply #74 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:47 pm »
Something that needs to be remembered when discussing small loudspeaker companies particularly those that build to order like Salk does is that they have no excess capacity, they are producing loudspeakers as fast as they can to meet  existing orders. They have had to divert time and resources away from production to build the speakers taken to the show. I am not at all surprised that they wind up bringing loudspeakers that are not fully broken in.If their business is successful they have stolen time from spare moments or nights and weekends to build something to take to the show.   Another thing to remember is that most small vendors who go to these shows are lucky to get enough sales based on their appearance at the show to break even on the trip. I am willing to cut the little guys considerable slack because of these factors.
Scotty

While it is true, many smaller companies may not have the overhead for it, but the fact still remains...they have 365 days to plan for this. Having worked in manufacturing high end equipment before, its really not that difficult to set aside a unit or two well in advance for something like this. I understand new products may not even be finished until the day before the show and that is understandable. The issue is the companies bringing products that they have had since last years show and then using excuses of "its not broken in" etc.

Just my 2cents.

chester_audio

« Reply #75 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:47 pm »
I think they have figured RMAF out. which is why you keep hearing the same crap, year after year 

Pez

« Reply #76 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:49 pm »
then why haven't you gotten everyone straightened out? It's so damn easy

That's what this thread is attempting to accomplish. And I never said it was easy.

chester_audio

« Reply #77 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:53 pm »
there it is

rbbert

« Reply #78 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:55 pm »
What, no beer? Scotch?

There were both and more in the Positive Feedback room   :D

Pez

« Reply #79 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:56 pm »

Chester, you seen to be attempting to pigeon hole me into some preconceived idea. When I say I have helped setup I mean at audio shows. Several years at RMAF and a show in Ohio. And I used room treatment in every single case!Btw which room were you in?