RMAF 2011 Final thoughts.

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
Re: RMAF 2011 Final thoughts.
« Reply #140 on: 20 Oct 2011, 09:51 pm »
Not to toot our own horns, but I can't help but notice that all the other 'mainstream' websites and magazines are just now getting around to posted RMAF coverage. Old news eh?  8) 8) 8)

you guys did a great job, not only did you cover more rooms than anybody but unlike most of the "mainstream' press you actually braved the elevators in the tower to cover the 9-11th floors!
of course you knew where the booze was.....  :D

but really, I saw at the end of each day how hard you guys worked! Jason, a big thanks for the help with room treatment, and breakdown etc.

on a somber note I don't think my 1030 room will be happening again, the elevator issue was over the top this year (for the third year in a row), so I don't know what my involvement in RMAF will be next year?

thanks,
lou

david12

« Reply #141 on: 20 Oct 2011, 09:54 pm »
 Pez and Tyson, simple question, can you actually enjoy the show in the same way, when you are under pressure to write detailed feedback?  I don't think I would be able to.

I went to RMAF once in 09 and I'll never go again, it's just too expensive from Europe. Unless we have another recession and they give international flights away for the cost of the taxes alone. No I am not wishing another recession on us. It was the best show I have been to by a country mile and your reporting has helped bring it all back.

Maybe I'll go to the Munich High End Show next year. Not so much fun, but better beer, I would think. Don't get me started on the commercial beers you guys are forced to survive on.

Thanks Again David

Pez

« Reply #142 on: 20 Oct 2011, 10:20 pm »
Pez and Tyson, simple question, can you actually enjoy the show in the same way, when you are under pressure to write detailed feedback? 

Honestly for me the answer is no. It isn't as enjoyable when I am more worried about getting great photos. By the time I'm done getting them taken and downloaded we have been in the room for about 5 minutes or so. We spent about 10-15 minutes per room so that leaves maybe 5-10 minutes to get in a good listen. During that time I've got my nose in the iPad typing up impressions I've been gathering. Almost 0 time for me to just sit and enjoy what I'm hearing.

That said, it doesn't mean I'm not having fun. For me it's different. Every once in a while I'll hear something that really gets me like the Kimber Room or the TAD room and I'll actually find myself in awe of what I'm hearing. Those moments are just as special as the times I'm not covering the show. Those are the rooms that I would have enjoyed no matter what anyway. Also remember I get to go to this show every single year. And every year is better than the last. So in a sense it's kind of old hat for me. I still get giddy like a 5 year old at christmas time.

The biggest part of RMAF is always the people. Meeting everyone from AC and the manufacturers I've known for years is wonderful and nothing that I can think of takes away from that.

Aside from having my Beyerdynamics DT880s lost/stolen (  :duh: ) I'd say it was mostly fun.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #143 on: 20 Oct 2011, 10:35 pm »
Lou,

You may want check out the rooms over the other side (Atrium) for next year.

Less stairs to climb if needed. :)

I had to give up going over to the Tower side to check out my friends' rooms (Positive Feedback,...) due to the long wait for the elevators and when 2 of them stopped working, I went back to our room after almost 30min. waiting. :(
you guys did a great job, not only did you cover more rooms than anybody but unlike most of the "mainstream' press you actually braved the elevators in the tower to cover the 9-11th floors!
of course you knew where the booze was.....  :D

but really, I saw at the end of each day how hard you guys worked! Jason, a big thanks for the help with room treatment, and breakdown etc.

on a somber note I don't think my 1030 room will be happening again, the elevator issue was over the top this year (for the third year in a row), so I don't know what my involvement in RMAF will be next year?

thanks,
lou

Rclark

« Reply #144 on: 20 Oct 2011, 11:22 pm »

I'll say this about room treatments: don't say anything at all! No need. A manufacturer shouldn't need to have this explained to them.

The line has been drawn. The one's who get it, at the next show, they'll have fully broken in gear on day one and have thoughtfully planned for and executed room and power treatments that let their gear shine.

The one's who think their speakers somehow require none (I am lmao at this thread, I can't believe some manufacturers are suggesting EQ, or that little magic boxes or brass bowls are preferable to a robust treatment), will obviously have horrible sounding rooms in comparison to those who took care.

If I was a manufacturer, I'd make sure that room was dialed out. I'd want to showcase my wares in the most optimal conditions possible.

Duh?

I really want to make it out next year. It will be my first audio show. Definitely want to come. I think the first room I'll beeline to is the GR room and I can estimate it will be my reference.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #145 on: 21 Oct 2011, 12:34 am »
Finally posting to somewhere in all this, as I have a question to add, but first. . .

Pez, Tyson, thank you.  I couldn't get things lined up quick enough with work to make the trip happen.  I am very grateful to you guys (and everyone else adding pics/impressions/info) for taking on the effort to do this.

That said, my question:

Lou, Hugh, elevator situation (multiple years)?  Please elaborate if you would for someone who has never made it to the show?  If the elevators are having problems, is part of the venue cut off or is there some other way (that needs to be better advertised?) to get around everywhere?

fsimms

« Reply #146 on: 21 Oct 2011, 12:46 am »
Riding on the elevators was a cross between a roller coaster ride and the horror house.
:tempted:

Bob

beaglebump

« Reply #147 on: 21 Oct 2011, 12:47 am »
Pez, Tyson - I'd like to add my sincere thanks for your candid reporting.  As another who couldn't get break away from my gig to make it, I enjoyed living vicariously through your photos and comments.  btw - Pez, I recently posted on the Athenas in the Daedalus circle, fyi.        Peace ~

OzarkTom

« Reply #148 on: 21 Oct 2011, 12:54 am »
I took the stairway, much quicker and you get your exercise.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #149 on: 21 Oct 2011, 12:56 am »
Tom, what's the name of that Buddy Holly CD you had playing at LSAF year before last?  Thanks.  Say hello to your Mrs. for me.

WGH

« Reply #150 on: 21 Oct 2011, 01:01 am »
If the elevators are having problems, is part of the venue cut off or is there some other way (that needs to be better advertised?) to get around everywhere?

I didn't know the elevators were having such problems. I always took the stairs but not everyone is comfortable or capable of climbing 10 or 11 floors. The stairs on the ground floor are outside to the right of the elevators, usually the door is propped open. Moving equipment with a wonky elevator has to be a real pain.

Wayne

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #151 on: 21 Oct 2011, 01:47 am »
Jonathon,

Actually, it's not really a problem at all.

Most of the times, I found the stairs to be quicker, at least over the Atrium side since it's only 5 stories. :)

It's a fun event so one should at least goes once.
Finally posting to somewhere in all this, as I have a question to add, but first. . .

Pez, Tyson, thank you.  I couldn't get things lined up quick enough with work to make the trip happen.  I am very grateful to you guys (and everyone else adding pics/impressions/info) for taking on the effort to do this.

That said, my question:

Lou, Hugh, elevator situation (multiple years)?  Please elaborate if you would for someone who has never made it to the show?  If the elevators are having problems, is part of the venue cut off or is there some other way (that needs to be better advertised?) to get around everywhere?

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #152 on: 21 Oct 2011, 02:24 am »
Thanks for the reply, Hugh.  Not saying I don't (hopefully) have it on the list of things to do to get to RMAF one of these years, but I was curious because Lou's reply sounded like it put a damper on his intentions for further events.  Considering how highly praised his presence was in all the rooms showcasing his products based on the excellent AC coverage of the event, it would be a shame if something so trivial that the venue should have under control could turn away someone bringing a lot to the show.

I really do need to somehow get it in the schedule to get to this show.  There are a bunch of folks here on AC that I would like to get to meet, and I would also like to get in touch with some of the folks from back in the va321 days.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #153 on: 21 Oct 2011, 03:13 am »
It's a fun event so one should at least goes once.

RMAF is like a potato chip....you can't have just one. Last year was my first year and after that experience, there was no way I was missing it this year. If I hadn't been there last year, there was a good chance I was not going to go this year as I was totally burned out from the flood in September. It was last year's experience that made me come back again this year and I will be there next year and hopefuly more years to come. :D

dminches

« Reply #154 on: 21 Oct 2011, 03:44 am »

thanks,
lou

What issues did you have?

This is too bad since I spent at least 20 minutes in 1030, part of the time listening to "Old Man" from Massey Hall.  I really felt I was actually back in 1971 in the hall.

OzarkTom

« Reply #155 on: 21 Oct 2011, 04:49 am »
Tom, what's the name of that Buddy Holly CD you had playing at LSAF year before last?  Thanks.  Say hello to your Mrs. for me.

Hi Jim, Buddy Holly, From the original master tapes. You can get it on Ebay for $2 or less. Good to hear from you.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #156 on: 21 Oct 2011, 05:17 am »
Thanks, Tumas, believe I will.  That was so good in your room.

sumadoggie

« Reply #157 on: 22 Oct 2011, 04:00 pm »
Does anyone remember the name of the company that had the excellent $999 bookshelf speakers?  They called their room "the cure."  The speakers developed an tremendous amount of base for a small-boxed speaker.

To say "for a small-boxed speaker" is an understatement.  Flat to 28Hz depending on room construction.  Yikes.  The fastest, most tonally correct bass response I heard at the show compared to even most uber $ floorstanders.  (the clue) FTW.   :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #158 on: 22 Oct 2011, 04:47 pm »
To say "for a small-boxed speaker" is an understatement.  Flat to 28Hz depending on room construction.  Yikes.  The fastest, most tonally correct bass response I heard at the show compared to even most uber $ floorstanders.  (the clue) FTW.   :thumb:

That was about the only room I never went into. The room was always way overcrowed every time I went by. Standing room only and you would have had to stand in front of someone.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #159 on: 22 Oct 2011, 04:52 pm »
That was about the only room I never went into. The room was always way overcrowed every time I went by. Standing room only and you would have had to stand in front of someone.
sounds like a good sign.   :thumb:

i am curious about speakers that have to be within 2" of the rear wall... 

doug s.