Day 2 and 3 coverage

Scott F.

Re: Day 2 coverage
« Reply #20 on: 7 Oct 2009, 10:23 pm »
Jason,

That was the SoundSmith Room.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #21 on: 8 Oct 2009, 12:17 am »
Pez,
Thanks so much for the photos and the commentary!
Have to agree with your comment about closed ear 'cans.  My perfectly good Sennheiser 650's sit gathering dust
while I would rather listen to any of my speakers.
Did you try those $2K in ear buds? The J-pro's?
Lyndon

JH13pro is $1099, and it is Jerry's top of the line product.

I tried the JH13pro both single and balanced I want to do a little wright up in the headphone section so i wont spill all the beans with what i have to say but they made my top 5 list for sound at the show.

ED

santacore

« Reply #22 on: 8 Oct 2009, 12:39 am »
I tried the JH13pro both single and balanced I want to do a little wright up in the headphone section so i wont spill all the beans with what i have to say but they made my top 5 list for sound at the show.

I look forward to hearing more, Ed.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 8 Oct 2009, 12:48 am »
I thought the Win Analog room was very good, but the speakers were a serious limitation to hearing what the amps were trying to do. I used those same Focal drivers in one of my cars a few years ago, so I had to wonder if they bought a Focal Polykevlar component set and stuffed them into an enclosure. 

Anyhow, the amps sounded like they had great potential driving some big, very dynamic speakers... at least for those with a few hundered grand to throw around on a stereo.

I only went for a day, but the standouts for me were the Merlin speakers and the OBs that used the $37k / pair field coil single drivers paired with 2 15" woofers per side.

edit... the OB's were in the Lotus audio room using the Feastrex 5" single drivers
« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2009, 02:20 am by DaveC113 »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #24 on: 8 Oct 2009, 12:59 am »
I thought the Win Analog room was very good, but the speakers were a serious limitation to hearing what the amps were trying to do. I used those same Focal drivers in one of my cars a few years ago, so I had to wonder if they bought a Focal Polykevlar component set and stuffed them into an enclosure. 

Anyhow, the amps sounded like they had great potential driving some big, very dynamic speakers... at least for those with a few hundered grand to throw around on a stereo.

I only went for a day, but the standouts for me were the Merlin speakers and the OBs that used the $37k / pair field coil single drivers paired with 2 15" woofers per side.

No doubt!  I would have loved to hear the Win Amps driving the big Daedalus speakers - that should be a great match.

Pez

Re: Day 2 and 3 coverage
« Reply #25 on: 8 Oct 2009, 10:12 pm »
I'd love to hear MY system driven by the Win amps.  :thumb:  I have made the executive decision to condense the remainder of the show coverage to this thread rather than have a separate day 3 thread. I am pretty exhausted from all the coverage and interest seems to be waning.  Any way here are some broad brush stokes of the remaining day (when I say broad, I mean only stuff that interested me in the least, the rest I'm skipping).

J-Corder

Reels, reels and more reels!!! Fun room with some interesting stuff.

Tocaro

Is it even remotely possible to explain this room? hmmm let me start by saying this; "full-range" 8 inch driver put into a box, placed on stands and plugged into amplification. No whizzer cone, no tweeter.  The sound... Well imagine what you think something I just described would sound like and there's your answer. Definitely one of those "what the hell were they thinking????" moments of the show.

That's it for day 2. Day 3 to come. Don't expect a whole lot. I was a zombie and Tyson was gone. :)

fsimms

« Reply #26 on: 8 Oct 2009, 10:38 pm »
I am pretty exhausted from all the coverage and interest seems to be waning.

I sure have been enjoying your posts.  I think you have by the best coverage on the net.  aa

Thanks!

Bob

ltr317

« Reply #27 on: 9 Oct 2009, 12:33 am »
Jason,

You're doing a fantastic job covering the show.  Kudos.

Paul

stereodad

« Reply #28 on: 9 Oct 2009, 01:21 am »
Pez

Great coverage

Thanks Larry

Pez

« Reply #29 on: 9 Oct 2009, 01:30 am »
Thank you all very much. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

capwkidd

« Reply #30 on: 9 Oct 2009, 03:46 am »
This was the funnest room I was in, it had a Disco vibe (probably because of the light bars that moved to the sound of the music). Who makes those speakers? I think they had drivers on all four sides....

Reels, reels and more reels!!! Fun room with some interesting stuff.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #31 on: 10 Oct 2009, 03:54 am »
I spent quite a bit of time in the room with the reel to reels talking with the guy that rebuilds/refurbishes the tape decks, Jeff Jacobs of Gig Harbor WA, and his wife. Very nice folks. He told me he built the speakers, one of a kind, and they do have drivers on all 4 sides for an omni-directional sound. I thought it was a very cool room with decent sound. He has over 35 years experience selling and servicing tape decks and other audio equipment. I wouldn't mind having one of those decks sitting next to my TT  :roll:.

When I was in the Nola speakers room they were playing reel to reel and the sound was 2D4.

Laura

JakeJ

« Reply #32 on: 10 Oct 2009, 10:31 pm »
I'll add my thanks to tyson and Pez for an outstanding job on show coverage.  :thumb:

Pez, you said you had more pics but decided not to upload a bunch.  Maybe later you could upload them to Flikr or Photobucket after you've had a chance to recover.  :wink:

Thanks again, guys.

JakeJ

Pez

« Reply #33 on: 10 Oct 2009, 10:55 pm »
Jake and evryone else. I appreciate the thanks. Yes here is a bit more, but I have been busy with everything else. I will post what little I have left probably starting Monday.

Thanks,
Pez

Mariusz

« Reply #34 on: 11 Oct 2009, 02:42 am »
Pez
I enjoy your coverage the most from any other source or publication.
Great job buddy. :thumb:

Mariusz

vinyl_lady

« Reply #35 on: 11 Oct 2009, 02:47 am »
Pez
I enjoy your coverage the most from any other source or publication.
Great job buddy. :thumb:

Pez,

I AGREE! Great coverage and pics. Your awesome, and nice guy too!

Laura

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #36 on: 11 Oct 2009, 03:25 am »
Thanks all.  I'd been getting a bit disheartened because we put a heck of a lot of work into this and just didn't seem to be getting much traffic on these threads.  I really appreciate the feedback!

Mariusz

« Reply #37 on: 11 Oct 2009, 04:08 am »
Thanks all.  I'd been getting a bit disheartened because we put a heck of a lot of work into this and just didn't seem to be getting much traffic on these threads.  I really appreciate the feedback!

Almost 1900 views - traffic is fine if you ask me. :scratch:

I missed you in my post Tyson so without farther due - thanks again for great coverage. :thumb:

Mariusz

mca

« Reply #38 on: 11 Oct 2009, 05:43 am »
The coverage was great, but what I really thought was cool were the interviews  :thumb:

david12

« Reply #39 on: 11 Oct 2009, 01:20 pm »
Agree with everyone else, respect over the coverage. Just getting around the darn rooms is hard enough, never mind taking pictures and writing a commentry. Very annoying, you have commented on rooms I missed! I thought I had covered nearly everything.
  The Win room, I felt was frankly ridiculous. Yes the amps looked and sounded nice, but the size. you would need to build a house round them. I am more impressed by the less expensive systems and the LSA room, Moscode and Von Swheikert and Modwright /Daedalus, come to mind.
  A great show and excellent coverage