Magnavox CDC 748/17 Service Manual

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
Magnavox CDC 748/17 Service Manual
« on: 12 Jun 2018, 10:31 am »
I've a Magnavox CDP modded by Don Allen, which has seen little use. I held on to it due to it's dogged ability to track a CD without skipping a beat. I had recently acquired some superb sounding DIY speakers and had set up a system in my Man's den with the said CDP as source feeding a K-Buffer to drive the Speakers through Class D Audio CDA254 Power amp. I was using a stepdown transformer to feed 110 volts to the CDP.

As luck would have it, the power transformer of the CDP went kaput. On checking, we found that the secondaries are intact. Based on the suggesstions of the repair guy, I got the transformer rewound for 230 volts but to my utter dismay, the display of the CDP refuses to turn on and the tray moves erratically with jerky movements. As per the technician, the voltages are not correct and it seems we need to look up the Service Manual to check for the correct voltages.

I scouted the internet extensively for the Manual but drew a blank. Can anyone help me source the Service Manual. I'm prepared to even buy it online if some link could be provided. Thanks for your patient hearing folks.

Doublej

Re: Magnavox CDC 748/17 Service Manual
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2018, 11:21 am »
Try perusing through Philips CD players service manuals as Philips owned Magnavox for a period of time. It quite possible that the innards are the same for both.

If you are unsuccessful there's a independent repair shop in the states I can give you the name of. You can call them to try to get your questions answered.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2018, 12:27 pm »

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2018, 02:47 am »
Try perusing through Philips CD players service manuals as Philips owned Magnavox for a period of time. It quite possible that the innards are the same for both.

If you are unsuccessful there's a independent repair shop in the states I can give you the name of. You can call them to try to get your questions answered.
My CDP is circa 1995. So I'm not sure if the voltages are identical. Good suggestion though. I'll sift through the net for Philips manuals of CDPs of that era. Contact details of the workshop would certainly be helpful.
Does it look like this?
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/philips/cd750.shtml
Sadly no. The one linked appears a lot newer.

FWIW, I've sourced same model from e-bay through a friend in USA. It's landing in India by June end.

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2018, 10:41 am »
Here's the shop. You'll want to talk to Vince.

https://www.audioproz.com/AP.php

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2018, 03:12 am »
Here's the shop. You'll want to talk to Vince.

https://www.audioproz.com/AP.php

Thank you very much Doublej. Much appreciated. :thumb: