TU-717 - what's it worth?

Brad

« on: 24 Jun 2003, 04:57 am »
I've got a nice Sansui tuner I'm not using right now.
It's in good, not great condition.
It has the rack mount handles.  All of the lights/switches/etc work.

Any ideas?

(Can you see how this is leading to a followup post in the Marketplace?)

t.i.a.

-Brad in Houston

randog

« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2003, 09:35 pm »
Brad,

http://fmtunerinfo.com/sansui.html

Scroll down to your model and it will tell you exactly what you are looking for.

I'm in the market right now (see Trading Post). When you come up with a figure, please give me a shout.

Thanks,
Randog

Brad

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2003, 10:13 pm »
From that post, it looks like $175-200 would be fair, without having to resort to *bay.

I'd just like to see someone using it.......

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2003, 10:44 pm »
Wow, I feel lucky to have picked mine up for $75.

randog

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2003, 10:59 pm »
Yea, it's a little disheartening... with people discovering great authoritative sites like fmtunerinfo.com (like myself) and running straight to eBay (like myself), things can get out of hand in short order. Especially for something like vintage equipment where you have zilch chance to audition at a realhonesttogoodness retail outlet.  :cry:

I've come to realize online sites like eBay are for the lazy buyers with deep pockets, especially when it comes to vintage items of limited supply. Try looking for Panhead parts someday.  :o

Yes, the only true way to find a bargain is to do it the old fashioned way: hoof it on the street and keep your ear close to the ground. Or - if you consider yourself a real keen ad hound and you want to look for a real deal on eBay, tailor your searches to look specifically for mis-categorized items by folks who aren't really sure of the value of what they've got (or even better, can't spell a lick!). It works, but it *is* work! Doittoday ain't gonna happen!  8)

Randog

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2003, 11:06 pm »
Quote from: randog
Or - if you consider yourself a real keen ad hound and you want to look for a real deal on eBay, tailor your searches to look specifically for mis-categorized items by folks who aren't really sure of the value of what they've got (or even better, can't spell a lick!).

That's exactly how to get something cheap on eBay. Either from people that don't know what they've got, or don't know how to spell. I've gotten pleanty of deals by picking up things in the wrong category or that weren't spelled right.

Another way to get a decent deal is to frequently check, and bid what you'd care to pay as often as you find the item you're looking for. If you're patient & what you're willing to pay isn't ridiculously low, you'll end up catching a break at some point. Usually when an auction ends at an odd time of day when people are asleep or at work. You'll get outbid quite a bit. But you'll get it eventually.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2003, 12:49 am »
ya, the price of the 717 (and a lot of other tuna) have gone up quite a bit, now that the word is out, that a good tuna w/a quality broadcast can give true a'phile sound.  but, $200 for one is still a bargain, especially considering it will be at least as good as anyting  new for up to $2.5k.  and, w/mods, these (and many other vintage tuna), are as good as it gets....

doug s.

warnerwh

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2003, 12:28 am »
I probably shouldn't say this but if you keep your eyes peeled for the newly listed tuners occasionally one will come up with a "buy it now" price that's more good than it should be.  Some guy on ***gon had a Luxman T117 a while back for 150 and it sold immediatley. So he said. Then he emailed me and said it was still available but for 300 as he found out he made a mistake. That's the beauty of buy it now on Ebay.  You've got alot of competition but I've picked up a few this way. Also sometimes certain things will go for much less than they should even after the full auction period. Then again never bid on anything you want til the last few seconds either as you could end up driving the price up way too high, this happens also and then it will sell for upto double or more than it's worth.