Bose Wave Radio reviewed by Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

Russell Dawkins

I stumbled on this while doing a search for Schoeps microphones (!), and thought a number of you would enjoy it:

http://www.meta-gizmo.com/Tri/june/bose.html

mgalusha

Re: Bose Wave Radio reviewed by Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2007, 10:09 pm »
Beautiful. I wish Harvey was still with us. Certainly someone I would have liked to meet.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2007, 10:19 pm »
Harvey was an interesting bird.  I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times at CES in the 80's. 

I voice of sanity and reason for sure - though a bit odd - but that's not a bad thing.

Bryan

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2007, 10:20 pm »
And to think all this time I thought it and the Bose Sound Dock were just glorified table radios with car radio speaker in them. How wrong could I have been.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2007, 01:48 am »
Jerry Seinfeld had a stand-up line that went along the lines of....while folks in the rest of the country (US) get more boring as they get older, New Yorkers get funnier and gain more character.

Was there any doubt that Harvey Gizmo Rosenberg was a product of NY  :icon_lol:

He was just out there funny, that guy, and funnier as he went along in life.  Too, too young tho - didn't he die at something like 58?  :o

Steve Eddy

• http://www.q-audio.com
« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2007, 02:41 am »
He was just out there funny, that guy, and funnier as he went along in life.  Too, too young tho - didn't he die at something like 58?  :o

Yeah. Died of one of those sudden heart attacks shortly after getting off a plane.

If anybody wants to have some fun, I suggest they set aside a few hours and read through all his articles posted on the Triode Guild page.

se

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2007, 03:43 pm »
What a find.  Thanks, Russ.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 4 Oct 2007, 08:20 pm »

Yeah. Died of one of those sudden heart attacks shortly after getting off a plane.

If anybody wants to have some fun, I suggest they set aside a few hours and read through all his articles posted on the Triode Guild page.

se

Man, that's some deep stuff!  :o  This guy basically makes a joke out the "audiophile perfectionist" who strives for the "is it live or is it Memorex" system when in fact there's just no such thing. Everything an audiophile is actually doing is "toning" his system,,,it'll never totally replicate the real thing. Don't you just love a guy who looks outside AND inside the box?  :notworthy:

Robin

spud

« Reply #8 on: 8 Oct 2007, 04:43 pm »
Harvey was truly one of a kind. Eccentric maybe but really smart. He is truly missed by all. I own a Bose Wave and it brings us pleasure when the big rig is resting.

spud

nathanm

« Reply #9 on: 8 Oct 2007, 06:13 pm »
I remember reading a hilarious story about him from people he knew after his death.  Thanks to the miracle of Google I found it again:

In the late 1970's Harvey used to

have this fabulous apartment on Central Park West and he would have these

fabulous free flowing parties.. It was not unusual to find the most eclectic

types of people involved in a variety of insane situations and positions..

After one of these parties, myself, Harvey and a couple of my friends went to dinner

at a restaurant on nthe Upper West Side.. Harvey came to the dinner dressed in a

white lab coat that beared a name tag "Dr Harvey Rosenberg" and he carried a doctors bag.

I sat at the table with him and I excused myself from the table and went to the payphone in the

rear of therestaurant. I called the establishment and asked them if they could page

Dr. Rosenberg-- identifying myself as being an intern at Roosevelt Hospital..

Harvey has no idea it is me until he gets on the phone and we decide to play a major

joke on everyone in the restaurant.

He picks up the phone and screams

"I don't care if she is hemorraghing to death, screw her. i am hungry." and he

hangs up and goes back to the table. I go back to the table and of course the

whole restaurant is in shock. I wait five minutes more and go back to the phone

and he is paged again.. He screams " Screw her, don't call me again-- get

someone else." Well, the place is an uproar-- a woman comes up to him and says

to his face " you ought to be ashamed of yourself-- what about the Hippocratic

Oath you took? Don't you have any sympathy--any compassion? " Harvey looks at

her and says to her " Madam, I know you. you were in the 1972 Sex Olympics.. you

were disqualified for having Lock Jaw" That is the Harvey I will always

remember-- trying to have a little harmless fun and trying to turn the world on

its edge a little bit.. He certainly did.. He had a heart of gold and a mind

that penetrated steel. I will always miss him-- why not? he was one of a kind..A

renaissance man who was also a pisser-- what a combo. Rest in peace Dr. Harvey..

respectfully,

Les Borden

Source: http://coneyislanddreams.com/tri/harvey.html

Steve Eddy

• http://www.q-audio.com
« Reply #10 on: 8 Oct 2007, 07:27 pm »
I remember reading a hilarious story about him from people he knew after his death.

:o

Thanks to the miracle of Google I found it again:

Google ain't the only miracle here. :green:

se

spud

« Reply #11 on: 8 Oct 2007, 07:32 pm »
nathanm,
              Great story. Only Harvey could handle that.

spud