Re: Just saying hi => Omega questions => Super 7 XRS on the way! => Now Here!!

jorgen

Re: Just saying hi . . . now Omega questions!
« Reply #40 on: 27 Feb 2014, 10:08 pm »
Norway.. I guess both of us will appreciate that warm tube sound.
I googled your new amp and its very nice. I like these rare and special products, at least its rare in Europe. I bet it will be a very nice sound as well. What kind of music will you listen to with this set up?

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #41 on: 27 Feb 2014, 10:48 pm »
Just replied to your PM with some geography chat!  :)

I like a wide range of jazz, blues, 60's/70's classic rock, some classical (not too avant garde), and modern rock/folk-rock if not too aggressive.

The amp is really nice and I'm very excited about trying it with Louis' speakers.  I also ordered a matching preamp from Dennis in the same Jaguar Red - model LP-2.  It may end up as a "special" secondary preamp though, as it doesn't have a remote volume control.  Couldn't resist having the set though!  :o

pstrisik

« Reply #42 on: 5 Mar 2014, 06:37 pm »
Just picked up a 1980's Harman Kardon 40wpc integrated amp for $60 on craig's list.  :)

Why, you say?  I shall put it in the basement with an old iPhone for a source.  When my Super 7 XRS' come, I will use utmost discipline and run them in the basement for break in.  Two sets of drivers, so a week with one, then a week with the other, then bring them upstairs. 

Yes, with the utmost discipline!

Anyone laying bets yet?  :lol:

........Peter

jorgen

« Reply #43 on: 5 Mar 2014, 07:03 pm »
Are you confident it is working properly, nothing to be afraid of? No possibility that it can blow those new drivers ?

pstrisik

« Reply #44 on: 5 Mar 2014, 08:16 pm »
Are you confident it is working properly, nothing to be afraid of? No possibility that it can blow those new drivers ?

I ran it at the seller's house and it seemed functional enough.  All inputs work - no scratchy sounding controls.  I will also try it in my main system this weekend and see how it sounds.  Thanks for your concern!

jorgen

« Reply #45 on: 5 Mar 2014, 08:38 pm »
Had an amp that on occasion went to full output...believe there was dust in the pot meter or something.. Sold it since I couldn't trust it.

pstrisik

« Reply #46 on: 5 Mar 2014, 08:44 pm »
Had an amp that on occasion went to full output...believe there was dust in the pot meter or something.. Sold it since I couldn't trust it.

Wow!  That would be scary!  :o

jorgen

« Reply #47 on: 5 Mar 2014, 08:58 pm »
Old ss amp. Actually a good one, classe cap 101.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #48 on: 6 Mar 2014, 03:01 am »
pstrisik,

Years ago I had a brand new 80's HK integrated, and it went to max volume all on it's own - I about jumped out of my skin.  I have owned 4 pieces of HK over the years and 3 of them had problems. 

I would just hook your speakers up to the amp you are going to listen to them on in the room where they will permanently reside and enjoy the music while you are breaking the speakers in.  You will never get that listening time back if you put the speakers in the basement and let them run by themselves on an old worn out 1980's HK. 

pstrisik

« Reply #49 on: 6 Mar 2014, 06:07 am »
pstrisik,

Years ago I had a brand new 80's HK integrated, and it went to max volume all on it's own - I about jumped out of my skin.  I have owned 4 pieces of HK over the years and 3 of them had problems. 

I would just hook your speakers up to the amp you are going to listen to them on in the room where they will permanently reside and enjoy the music while you are breaking the speakers in.  You will never get that listening time back if you put the speakers in the basement and let them run by themselves on an old worn out 1980's HK.

I'll be careful. 

I plan to hook up the HK to my main system this weekend and see what it sounds like where I'm already familiar.  I'll be there if it catches fire or anything.  If it runs ok for a couple of days of regular use, I'm not going to worry.

The agony of break in is something I really do not relish.  My mind plays too many games.  I'd rather start in a place that I know is where I will be.

.......Peter

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 6 Mar 2014, 07:31 am »
pstrisik,

Every Omega I have had has sounded great right out of the box; the break in period just improved what was already there, and my experience with Omega goes back to the hempcone days.  I always had suitable upline gear in front of them, so I never have had any of the thinness of sound that some say they have.  If the Omegas don't sound great out of the box, there is something wrong elsewhere in the system, so if you already have good upline gear you can go right at it.   

If you start listening on an old solid state amp, you may be disappointed, as Omegas are thoroughbreds and require good upline gear, and your Dennis Had amp is surely that.  You sound like the break in period is like a trip to the dentist; it doesn't have to be.  I will use the reverse of your psychology: first impressions are the strongest, and the HK may mess with your mind.

jorgen

« Reply #51 on: 6 Mar 2014, 08:47 am »
CanadaRob: Its really nice to read your statements; good out the box...thoroughbreds... only improves whats already there. This is nice reading! Really looking forward to getting them now, Louis wrote me an email and told me there would be pictures and shipping this week. Not sure how logistics will work out, if to be sent by boat or by air-

pstrisik; I really should not be your main source for taking decisions, but the amp I mentioned, worked well days and weeks and then all of the sudden BOOOOM, then worked ok for days and days then BOOM and there wasnt a pattern, well..yes scary
on the other hand; that was a much larger amp, 2x 100 watts, but I believe it blew the crap out of my speakers

pstrisik

« Reply #52 on: 6 Mar 2014, 03:19 pm »
pstrisik,

Every Omega I have had has sounded great right out of the box; the break in period just improved what was already there, and my experience with Omega goes back to the hempcone days.  I always had suitable upline gear in front of them, so I never have had any of the thinness of sound that some say they have.  If the Omegas don't sound great out of the box, there is something wrong elsewhere in the system, so if you already have good upline gear you can go right at it.   

If you start listening on an old solid state amp, you may be disappointed, as Omegas are thoroughbreds and require good upline gear, and your Dennis Had amp is surely that.  You sound like the break in period is like a trip to the dentist; it doesn't have to be.  I will use the reverse of your psychology: first impressions are the strongest, and the HK may mess with your mind.

You misunderstand.  I won't have my Omegas for a few more weeks.  I'll check out this amp this weekend in my existing system.  I have no intention of listening to the Omegas with this amp.

jorgen

« Reply #53 on: 6 Mar 2014, 05:14 pm »
Oh ok. Then I wouldn't be to worried about it. Happy listening

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #54 on: 6 Mar 2014, 06:41 pm »
You misunderstand.  I won't have my Omegas for a few more weeks.  I'll check out this amp this weekend in my existing system.  I have no intention of listening to the Omegas with this amp.
Phew, I'm relieved.

pstrisik

« Reply #55 on: 23 May 2014, 09:57 pm »
Just got my tracking numbers from Louis for my pair of Super 7 XRS in zebrawood.  It is shipping with the stock 7F drivers.  He shipped a pair of 7A drivers in advance which I have broken in with ~100 hours.  I will run those first and break in the 7F's for comparison second.

Woohoo!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #56 on: 24 May 2014, 01:19 am »
Congrats! :green:

milford3

« Reply #57 on: 24 May 2014, 01:28 am »
Very nice indeed.  Enjoy the music. :D

Guy 13

« Reply #58 on: 24 May 2014, 02:39 am »
Hi pstrisick.
I own a pair of Omega 7F in a open baffle dipole configuration
and I would sure like to read your findings on both 7F and 7A.
I hope to read your comments soon.
Thanks.

Guy 13

pstrisik

« Reply #59 on: 24 May 2014, 03:53 pm »
Thanks guys....  I am looking forward to comparing the 7A/7F.  My understanding from Louis is that the 7A does more right in the mids, particularly with sound texture, but needs the whizzer cone for highs while the 7F does very well with highs and doesn't need the whizzer.  We shall see!