Next GAS Meeting...SUNDAY MARCH 28th

bmed

« Reply #20 on: 14 Mar 2004, 04:13 pm »
I can't believe it.  I'm actually off and can probably make it.   Sounds like there's going to be more than enough equipment to get through.  But, I'll offer my AES AE3 DJH, EAR 834P w/Tele's/Raytheon's, Cary Rocket 88, assorted IC's from Clarity Labs and Cardas.  

Let me know if anyone has any interest in hearing any of these.
Just got a new case of Rogue Morimoto Hazelnut Brown as well, it just goes well with tubes and vinyl -- you know, I believe in system synergy
  :lol: !

Brad

drummerwill

Yo GASsey's March 28th is okay for me
« Reply #21 on: 14 Mar 2004, 04:59 pm »
Yo Guys
   Looks like March 28th is okay for me. Yup Steve I'll bring back the
  "Black Locomotive" ( PP45 amp).  So others might want to get on the
   train too!

See ya there!
       Willie

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #22 on: 14 Mar 2004, 09:40 pm »
You guys have fun. I am sending the Usher X-708 speakers out to Scott Tuesday. They are already broken in so you won't have to listen with ear muffs on.
  March 28th is my daughter's 17th birthday so I will be tied up all day. Hopefully I can check in later that day to see if there is any talk about the session.

Enjoy.

Blackmore

Next Meeting
« Reply #23 on: 17 Mar 2004, 12:54 am »
Sorry I can't make it! :(    I'm playing with the St. Louis Wind Symphony on Sunday and we're performing the Paul Whiteman version of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue (Grofe arrangement)  This small band version is really a treat and ear-opening if your only experience is the symphonic version we normally hear today.  
Catch you guys next time and keep the tubes warm!!!

Scott F.

Re: Next Meeting
« Reply #24 on: 17 Mar 2004, 04:03 am »
Quote from: Blackmore
Sorry I can't make it! :(    I'm playing with the St. Louis Wind Symphony on Sunday and we're performing the Paul Whiteman version of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue (Grofe arrangement)  This small band version is really a treat and ear-opening if your only experience is the symphonic version we normally hear today.  
Catch you guys next time and keep the tubes warm!!!

Oooh, so you've been holding out on us :lol:

So what insturment do you play and where can we go to hear you perform?

Wayne1

« Reply #25 on: 22 Mar 2004, 08:10 pm »
Hello Scott and the rest of you GAS(ers? GASbags?)

The Radii GS-75PP monoblocks have survived the weekend and will be shipped FedEx Ground out to you tomorrow. I will double box them, this time. Hopefully thay will arrive intact.

Enjoy!!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #26 on: 22 Mar 2004, 09:26 pm »
Hello Wayne1,
   If I may make a suggestion in regard to the Radii amps? From my experience, there is a very noticable difference by removing the transformer covers and applying a few strips of asphalt based damping material to the insides.
  These are the same covers as used on the ASL gear and they can actually "play their own tune". An easy observation would be to listen to them with the covers off after becoming familiar with their sound with them on.
  Those are some nice pieces of gear there and you may be quite suprised of how much of a difference dampinging those covers can make.

Scott F.

« Reply #27 on: 23 Mar 2004, 01:03 am »
Quote from: Wayne1
Hello Scott and the rest of you GAS(ers? GASbags?)

The Radii GS-75PP monoblocks have survived the weekend and will be shipped FedEx Ground out to you tomorrow. I will double box them, this time. Hopefully thay will arrive intact.

Enjoy!!

Goodie goodie!!!!
New toys!

Bill, thanks for the tip on the damping. I've got some here and I'll add it to the casings.

steve k

« Reply #28 on: 23 Mar 2004, 01:42 am »
COOOOLLLLL  TOOOOOBBBBSSSS!!!!!
 :)  :)  :)  :)

steve k

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #29 on: 23 Mar 2004, 01:44 am »
Darn-it, I was even thinking. I could have sent you some Usher speaker cables to use. These have proven to be nice cables when used with tube amps.

Scott< what Rogues are you getting? Are the Radii amps your personal units? You may have mentioned this but my brain is not working 100% lately.
  If so, I may have some other "goodies" for you on these. In case nobody has noticed, they look awfully similar to the ASL gear for these, I know a few more tricks of the trade. One thing I have noticed with the Radii gear is that they come with some darn nice capacitors already installed. Are the caps in these monos the same as in the others mentioned at Bolder?

Give me about 2 weeks till after I finish my custom mods on a pair of ASL Hurricanes (personal units of Chris VenHaus) and I will pass on some new info for the Radiis for anybody interested.

Scott F.

« Reply #30 on: 23 Mar 2004, 03:35 am »
Quote from: Response Audio
Darn-it, I was even thinking. I could have sent you some Usher speaker cables to use. These have proven to be nice cables when used with tube amps.

No problem at all. Got plenty right now. Between my DIY's (that sound pretty good TYVM) and Waynes Bolder cables plus other ones that the guys are bringing, we should have loads to choose from.

Thanks for the offer.

Tell you what, they might be cool to pass around for everybody to listen to.

Scott, what Rogues are you getting? Are the Radii amps your personal units? You may have mentioned this but my brain is not working 100% lately.

Those aren't mine, those are Mike's. I think he's got the M-150's.

The Radii's I'm buying from Wayne as my personal units. I just couldn't get their sound out of my head (or is it monkey off my back). The Radii's mated to the Epiphony's are majical. Can't say too much more, I still need to finsih the review for TNT.

If so, I may have some other "goodies" for you on these. In case nobody has noticed, they look awfully similar to the ASL gear for these, I know a few more tricks of the trade. One thing I have noticed with tthe Radii gear is that they come with some darn nice capacitors already installed. Are the caps in these monos the same as in the others mentioned at Bolder?

Yep, almost identical to the ASL's. You're right about the caps. The Chinese paper and oils have a really seductive sound. Lord knows they suckered me in :lol:

The power supply caps are JJ's. I think thats the same ones Santa Man uses in the Stereoblocks. Wayne would know for sure.

Give me about 2 weeks till after I finish my custom mods on a pair of ASL Hurricanes (personal units of Chris VenHaus) and I will pass on some new info for the Radiis for anybody interested.

Definately, I'm interested. Thanks!

Scott F.

Who's coming?
« Reply #31 on: 23 Mar 2004, 03:43 am »
OK, quick check of how many are coming so I can make sure I make enough burgers and brats. The only thing you may want to bring is a drink (beer specifically). I'll have plenty of soda and the hard stuff.

Who all is coming? And what are you bringing (gear-wise)?

Scott F.

« Reply #32 on: 23 Mar 2004, 03:50 am »
Quote from: Mike D
OOOOOHHHHH OOOOhhhhhhhh!!! I'm in! I'll try to bring some of our local Korte Bratwurst. They changed my life! Best Brats on Earth. No Exaggeration!
What time? I'm not too cool to get to a party early.

Pretty much anytime. I think most everybody will be showing up after 12 but you (or anybody else) are more than welcome to show up early. I'll be up at 6:30 or so anyway  :D

I guess we ought to wait until my girls have a chance to get themselves beautious. Say 10 or so should give them plenty of time.

Be sure to bring the brats. We can have a brat showdown. I'll have some from Zernas Meat Market (my neighbor).

DeadFish

« Reply #33 on: 23 Mar 2004, 06:24 am »
How-de-do!

I'll definitely be there, Scott.
This would be too cool to not catch.
Wouldja like me to bring some deviled eggs?  It's MaMa's recipe!    :)
I'll mostly be a mooch musically, as it sounds like everyone has a heaping helping for our plates!  "Tomorrow IS another day", as Miss Scarlett said...
Ah, Scott, thanks for the turn-on to Los Lonely Boys.
Hoo-ha!
I drove quickly to BestBuy on my lunch 1/2hour and found it on sale for $10 bux, PLUS got back to work with 3 minutes to spare!  It seems some things are just meant to happen.  
Big fun with the Discman after supper!
Phew!

Anything you DO need brought, give a hollar.

And to ditto Scott's earlier post, we had a grand time yesterday meeting in his playland.  Jeezus-Pete, there'e gonna be gear au gogo Sunday, and I don't think my ears are gonna be the same afterwards.
Looking forward to it!

DF

steve k

« Reply #34 on: 23 Mar 2004, 01:15 pm »
Hi Scott,
I'll be there around noonish. I'm trying to get my newbie friend
Amir from work to come. He wants to hear the Griffin Powerwave if it shows up. He ought to be wasted by all this tube gear. He's also a guitar player so he should be in good company with Mike D and Thom if he makes it:D

I'll bring some import beer, my camera, some Charles Lloyd tunes and the Venhaus IC's. I suspect that's all you'll have room for with every thing else that's coming. You're neighbors may think we're up to no good! The Pulsars have about 100 hours run in on them now and they're sounding real nice. Will 1 m. IC's get from your CD player to your preamp?

See you then.
steve k.

Scott F.

« Reply #35 on: 23 Mar 2004, 04:52 pm »
Quote from: steve k
Hi Scott,
I'll be there around noonish. I'm trying to get my newbie friend
Amir from work to come. He wants to hear the Griffin Powerwave if it shows up. He ought to be wasted by all this tube gear. He's also a guitar player so he should be in good company with Mike D and Thom if he makes it:D

I'll bring some import beer, my camera, some Charles Lloyd tunes and the Venhaus IC's. I suspect that's all you'll have room for with every thing else that's coming. You're neighbors may think we're up to no go ...

1m's should work just fine.

I'm curious to hear the Griffins too. At 15wpc the Lowthers would be the best mate for them. Should be fun.

bmed

« Reply #36 on: 24 Mar 2004, 12:46 am »
Hi Scott,

I'm planning on coming.  You'll have to email me some directions.  I'm relatively familiar with the St. Louis area.  I can bring my linestage along.  I've also got a Stereovox HDXV if anyone hasn't heard one yet.  I'll bring along some vinyl if you don't mind.  

Brad

sturgus

« Reply #37 on: 24 Mar 2004, 03:05 am »
Scott,
I will be there around 5:30. If we have time maybe we can listen to the NAIT I left there. There will be more gear there than most shops have. Look forward to seeing everybody.
Sturgus

Mike D

« Reply #38 on: 24 Mar 2004, 03:31 am »
Brad

What's and HDXV?  I guess you should bring it.   :)

mike

Scott F.

« Reply #39 on: 24 Mar 2004, 04:34 am »
Hi Guys,

Tomorrow night I'll email everybody directions and a map. I'm really easy to find but it's always good to have a map in hand.

Sturgus, listening to the Nait should be fun. No doubt everybody has read loads about it. We can give a listen to Bills RAM too. It's the same wattage so it should make a fun comparison.

Brad, unfortunately I don't have an external DAC for your Stereovox. Maybe you could bring one?

Finished up the two pairs of speaker cables tonite, got them burning in. My first go at the corner subs failed. I might (slim chance) have the new cabs finsihed for the weekend. If not, no biggie. Still got the little one.

Also go the Ushers in and played them for a while. Cross your fingers and pray that the Radii's show up in time. If not we've got Mikes Rogues. They should be loads of fun.