Manic Moose Update

Mesanjah05

Manic Moose Update
« on: 4 Dec 2019, 11:01 pm »
So,I updated to the latest firmware of MM.  Now loading my music files is significantly delayed / prolonged.  It even freezes at "loading".  This is in my main directory and if the artist directory is large, there as well. I've not had this issue till now and all previous updates were problem free.  I have the BDP-2 connected through wifi bridge.  No other changes.  Any ideas suggestions to correct this would be appreciated.

gbaby

Re: Manic Moose Update
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2019, 12:49 am »
So,I updated to the latest firmware of MM.  Now loading my music files is significantly delayed / prolonged.  It even freezes at "loading".  This is in my main directory and if the artist directory is large, there as well. I've not had this issue till now and all previous updates were problem free.  I have the BDP-2 connected through wifi bridge.  No other changes.  Any ideas suggestions to correct this would be appreciated.

Re-load it.

Mesanjah05

« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2019, 03:01 pm »
I did the re-load as suggested, also, I updated my collection, and the loading issue remains.  I tend to use the default option for accessing my music library and tried the Artist option.  The latter was a bit faster in loading, but still with noticeable delay.  How does one return to the previous MM version, as it worked perfectly?

gbaby

« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2019, 03:39 pm »
I did the re-load as suggested, also, I updated my collection, and the loading issue remains.  I tend to use the default option for accessing my music library and tried the Artist option.  The latter was a bit faster in loading, but still with noticeable delay.  How does one return to the previous MM version, as it worked perfectly?

I have never had to return to the older software so I don't know how to do it. This may be a job for Chris Rice, and I suggest you contact him. But, in the meantime, reload it again as it can't hurt. When I owned the BDP2, I had to reload the software a couple of times when having hiccups. Like you, I use a bridge also..

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2019, 06:37 pm »
How does one return to the previous MM version, as it worked perfectly?

Never mess with perfection.

Calypte

« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2019, 08:43 pm »
Last year I updated my BDP-pi from MM 2.36 to 2.38.  It was a mistake.  I had to send my BDP-pi to the U.S. rep, Gary Dayton, to revert to version 2.36.  I don't think there's any way an end-user can do this.

gbaby

« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2019, 10:52 pm »

Try this, take all of your USB drives out and reload the software. Put one USB in afterwards and reboot. If it is faster, then put another on in and reboot. What I am trying to do is to determine if you have bad USB drive. I have done this under the directions of Chris and it worked. We found I had a bad USB drive.

gbaby

« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2019, 10:54 pm »
Never mess with perfection.

I will say the upgrade 2.42 is great. I like the fact that it retains the last 50 albums that were put on the drive.  8) Mine works flawlessly. I, too, like the addition of the last 50 albums being displayed. 8)
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2019, 10:32 pm by gbaby »

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2019, 12:47 am »
I will say the upgrade 2.4 is great. I like the fact that it retains the last 50 albums that were put on the drive.  8) Mine works flawlessly.

I'll wait for 5.0 before I "upgrade".  :lol:

gbaby

« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2019, 01:32 am »
I'll wait for 5.0 before I "upgrade".  :lol:

There is a lot to be said for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." :D

gbaby

« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2019, 02:29 am »
Maestro, on another note, I am really enjoying Manic Moose, and I am only just beginning to appreciate its capabilities. For example I have 12 different albums by the same artist. I am able to go through the entire 12 albums in minutes, pick out the best compositions from each using "Favorites" and make a killer playlist. I have an addiction for buying CDs and it is now paying off using the BDP3 and Manic Moose.  8)

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 6 Dec 2019, 02:47 am »
There is a lot to be said for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." :D

The elves at Bryston in sleepy Peterborough must be bored. Might explain the constant tweaking of the Moose.   :lol:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 6 Dec 2019, 02:52 am »
Maestro, on another note, I am really enjoying Manic Moose, and I am only just beginning to appreciate its capabilities. For example I have 12 different albums by the same artist. I am able to go through the entire 12 albums in minutes, pick out the best compositions from each using "Favorites" and make a killer playlist. I have an addiction for buying CDs and it is now paying off using the BDP3 and Manic Moose.  8)

I'm with ya, lad.    :icon_lol:

Like you, I built up multiple playlists, so I don't have a favorite list(s). The problem with such lists is that they constantly need updating as new recordings are acquired. A bit like the Top 10 Charts that radio stations use.  MM is a fine operating system, in its older version. Don't know about the latest v., though. As long as the SQ is great, I don't really care about other stuff like graphics etc. To each his own, eh?

Mesanjah05

« Reply #13 on: 6 Dec 2019, 04:17 am »
Try this, take all of your USB drives out and reload the software. Put one USB in afterwards and reboot. If it is faster, then put another on in and reboot. What I am trying to do is to determine if you have bad USB drive. I have done this under the directions of Chris and it worked. We found I had a bad USB drive.

Gbaby,
I don't use USB drives.  I use a NAS with my WiFi bridged.  MM's earlier versions worked flawlessly and Maestro's advice is one I will follow in the future.  I was hoping Chris might be able to participate in this discussion and will call him perhaps tomorrow. 

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 6 Dec 2019, 01:52 pm »
I was thinking about what feature I would like to see in MM, and I came up with this.

How about a feature that recognizes automatically the most frequently played tracks in a library. Then adds those tracks to a "Master Favorite List", like a playlist. It would update the list automatically as tracks are played, keeping an expanding (or shrinking) tally of tracks most freq played. The user can then go in, and rename the Master List whatever, OR sub-fractionate the list into different sub-lists. e.g. Beethoven Lat Qts vs. Eary/Middle Qts, etc etc. The addition/updating of freq played tracks needs to be automatic, so MM needs to keep running count.

Difficult, but I'm just throwing this out there. I am assuming, of course, that the most freq played tracks are indeed the favorite musik of the owner (why would anyone not play their favs more freq than their least fav?).

cheers

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #15 on: 6 Dec 2019, 04:00 pm »

I'm not sure which version you upgraded from, but this could be something has gone wrong like some of the community have already suggested or could be fixed by turning some options off.  It may not even be related to the update, i'd suggest placing the BDP into service mode and email us the service ID.  Also you'll likely get the fastest response by simply emailing us rather then relying on posts and your welcome to post the correspondence if you like.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

gbaby

« Reply #16 on: 6 Dec 2019, 07:44 pm »
Gbaby,
I don't use USB drives.  I use a NAS with my WiFi bridged.  MM's earlier versions worked flawlessly and Maestro's advice is one I will follow in the future.  I was hoping Chris might be able to participate in this discussion and will call him perhaps tomorrow.

Are you aware that you are not getting the best fidelity from the BDP using NAS? All reviewers have stated the best sound comes from the USB drives. Now there ar 256 and soon 512 USB drives so storage is no longer a problem with USB.

gbaby

« Reply #17 on: 6 Dec 2019, 09:59 pm »
I'm with ya, lad.    :icon_lol:

Like you, I built up multiple playlists, so I don't have a favorite list(s).other stuff like graphics etc.

We may be putting DJs and program directors out of business.  :lol:

Mesanjah05

« Reply #18 on: 7 Dec 2019, 03:37 pm »
Are you aware that you are not getting the best fidelity from the BDP using NAS? All reviewers have stated the best sound comes from the USB drives. Now there ar 256 and soon 512 USB drives so storage is no longer a problem with USB.

No, I was not aware of this.  I will have to experiment with your suggestion to experience what the results are.  One question; when accessing the USB can you also access the NAS at the same time?

zoom25

« Reply #19 on: 7 Dec 2019, 06:45 pm »
Yes, you can mount both USB and NAS sources at the same time. You can even have identical libraries on a NAS and a USB drive mounted at the same time to compare as much as possible. The BDP handles flawless switching between playback sources.

There are only 2 reviewers that so far I've known to actively compare NAS vs. USB playback:

Unfortunately, both of these links do not seem to be working right now possibly due to Bryston changing their website. Hopefully Bryston fixes this.

BDP-1 USB model review http://www.bryston.com/PDF/reviews/2015_03_Review_BDP1_USB.pdf

This review mentions NAS only a little bit.

Karl Schuster's The Absolute Sound BDP-2 -> http://www.bryston.com/PDF/reviews/2015_12_Review_BDP-2_Absolute.pdf

This review covers a lot more about HDD vs. SSD vs. Thumb drives vs NAS vs DLNA; AES vs. USB and SPDIF, and WAV vs FLAC. I found his review useful as he lets you get a good sense of what he's hearing and of his preferences. Some of those preferences don't line up with the majority of Bryston owners. Yet, I can definitely see his choice selection from his perspective/rationale.

I won't say anything else right now. It's best to compare these yourself. Make sure to do long sessions with both.