Front vs. Rear USB ports + Flash Drives vs. Hard Drives

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: Front vs. Rear USB ports + Flash Drives vs. Hard Drives
« Reply #60 on: 2 Jun 2017, 07:40 pm »
If it sounds better to you, that's all that matters.

Some of the buyers on Amazon say that they heard improvements on some devices (e.g. computer) but not on others (e.g Cambridge DAC -- higher-end).....probably correlated wth how much grunge is generated from the source. The more there is, the bigger the contrast and the more obvious the improvement.  :scratch:

zoom25

« Reply #61 on: 2 Jun 2017, 07:56 pm »
From my reading, most can tell some kind of variable difference on each device. Surprisingly, not many that couldn't hear any difference. However, it was interesting to note that not everyone liked what it did for the sound. Some say it got dull and thinner. Most of it was tonality based feedback. It could've been due to their particular gear or where their current listening skills/preferences were.

For example, a lot of people would think something is better if there is "more" in the sound. More harmonics or distortion. It's an easy thing to mistake with higher fidelity and more detail. Not everyone likes more accurate from the start. It is a learning curve.

Tonality aside, what was not debatable for me was what it did to the stereo image. With the Amphions locked in, it was easier mentally to follow the phantom center. Sound Liaison recordings are good at showing the depth difference.

Besides the equipment involved, there's also the listener, their brain and their training that could play a part in whether they would like it.

zoom25

« Reply #62 on: 11 Jul 2017, 07:07 pm »
Update on Jitterbug: Details matter

I use portable WD hard drives over their desktop counterparts because they are physically quieter. Even without music playing, you can never hear the portable drives. They are 5400 RPM and you have to touch them to see if they are spinning. The desktop on the other hand are much louder.

So let's see what configurations I've tried:

1) USB drives plugged in directly to BDP-1 ports

2) Portable WD hard drive plugged directly to the rear bottom.

3) Portable WD hard drive plugged directly to the rear bottom WITH an Audioquest Jitterbug attached to it.

Impressions:

#1 - The USB drives I've always felt they were tighter than hard drives and with more resolution, but sometimes with some kind of grunge (maybe?). But certainly the best sound when directly making connections to the BDP-1 without anything in the middle.

#2 - With the portable drive connected directly, I felt they sometimes smeared the transients and made it kind of sloppy. Not as clean sounding as flash drives.

#3 - When I added the Jitterbug to the portable drive connecting to BDP-1, I noticed there was a tradeoff but wasn't sure at first. It felt as if it got cleaner, but something felt off. I started to notice that I was actually getting fatigued with my WAVs. I actually started to prefer the compressed FLACs over the WAV because of the treble alone. The WAVs were more extended, but with a harshness and fatigue.

I noticed that with my iMac outputting to DAC, I did like it, but not so much with the hard drive. So I did some research and tried to find how the Jitterbug actually works and how they deal with voltage.

So I got an idea to break out my 10 port external powered USB Hub with switching power supply. Something generic from Canada Computers. So I plugged my portable hard drive into one of its 10 USB ports and immediately it was powered on. For the main output cable, I used my regular Belkin Gold from the hub and connected that to the BDP-1's USB input BUT with the Jitterbug at the end.

This finally resulted with a much better sound from the hard drive. Majority of treble glare gone and tight sounding like flash sounding. It seems the Jitterbug doesn't mesh well when a lot of power is going through it to power the drive as in configuration #3.

Now with an external hub and Jitterbug, the sound is very close to the flash drive. It's still not identical and I can hear it slightly in the highs and the harmonics in the vocals. Will have to do more listening.

What's next:

I want to either try a cable that only sends the data and not the power (if that can work) or an adapter that can block the 5V line in the USB cable (like Sbooster). I feel with filtering, there's always a tradeoff. This tradeoff varies depending on how and what things are connected. So I figure, maybe instead of filtering, why not get just get rid of the problem completely? I still have to learn more about this and if there are any downsides to this approach.

If anyone has experience with data only cables or blockers, I would love some suggestions and your experience.

zoom25

« Reply #63 on: 12 Jul 2017, 05:07 am »
I tried the obvious next configuration by taking the Audioquest Jitterbug out of the USB hub system's output connecting to BDP-1's USB.

That sounded the worst.

Just to be clear, this was: WD portable hard drive -> USB external hub -> USB A to B cable from the hub -> Jitterbug (removed) -> Bryston BDP-1's USB input.

The removal of Jitterbug in this configuration just made it worse across the board. Makes me think about people who have been using external power drives with switching PS or hubs or some combination.

Let me know if someone's confused and wants pic to follow along.  :thumb:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #64 on: 12 Jul 2017, 10:27 am »
^ Every system is different (cliche). I use a powered USB hub and pocket drives plugged into it then a single A-B to BDP. No issues with SQ whatsoever, love it. Tried a Bug from a friend like you suggested. Heard no improvement, on many tracks. So, back to the shortest possible path (for multiple drives) -- hub and cable, no bug. Will stay put. Shorter path always. For my system.  :thumb:

zoom25

« Reply #65 on: 12 Jul 2017, 04:16 pm »
Nice. That's great to hear. Very lucky! Was this with BDP-1 or BDP-2?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #66 on: 12 Jul 2017, 05:22 pm »
Nice. That's great to hear. Very lucky! Was this with BDP-1 or BDP-2?

Both.  :thumb:

zoom25

« Reply #67 on: 12 Jul 2017, 05:31 pm »
Both.  :thumb:

You would've heard it if only you used MQA!!! :lol: :lol:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #68 on: 12 Jul 2017, 05:33 pm »
You would've heard it if only you used MQA!!! :lol: :lol:

Darn!! I knew I was missing something! The SQ was too clean and clear to be believable!

MQA = Most Questionable Audio   :lol: :lol:

gbaby

« Reply #69 on: 15 Jul 2017, 01:16 am »

MQA = Most Questionable Audio   :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

zoom25

« Reply #70 on: 27 Jul 2017, 01:00 am »
For all that have tested hard drives against flash drives and found that the hard drives were more veiled sounding and slower and neutral...

Well, in the past two weeks with the addition of the Jitterbug on the external hub powering portable hard drive, that (WD drive + hub + JB) combo did to flash drive what flash drives had done to hard drives when they were just plugged in directly.

The flash drives sound warmer in the mids and slightly less tight across the spectrum. However, the highs are much better on the Jitterbug and more detailed and extended without any artificiality. Also, the dynamics is improved even further with the hard drive combo. The sound is more linear and to my liking.

Cool. :thumb:

Marius

« Reply #71 on: 28 Jul 2017, 11:59 am »
Hi Zoom,

Reading your enthusiastic post about the Jitterbug persuaded me to finally try one. 39 euro can't cause any misfortune...

I use the exact same setup as you, feeding my BDP1 with the Usb HDD's hooked up to a usb Hub with its own (not yet linear) power supply.

And thats why my next question would be what kind of power supply you use.

I have several devices using a cheap provided wall wart, and to try and isolate these as much as possible, they're powered on their own dedicated power strip, fed from another wall outlet than my main setup.
Still, inevitably they're connected to that main setup. Not only the network interfaces (which don't bother me that much since they're supposed to be isolated transports). Neither do the optical ones worry me. More so do the HDMI and digital coax connections. Think of a cable setup box, or an AppleTV for that matter. Think of USB devices, as my fake BOT drive connected to the BDP. (will test that too with the jitterbug to see if any progress is to me heard.)

All in all, please let me know about your power source, and thoughts on setting several of these up as isolated as possible..

Cheers,
Marius

For all that have tested hard drives against flash drives and found that the hard drives were more veiled sounding and slower and neutral...

Well, in the past two weeks with the addition of the Jitterbug on the external hub powering portable hard drive, that (WD drive + hub + JB) combo did to flash drive what flash drives had done to hard drives when they were just plugged in directly.

The flash drives sound warmer in the mids and slightly less tight across the spectrum. However, the highs are much better on the Jitterbug and more detailed and extended without any artificiality. Also, the dynamics is improved even further with the hard drive combo. The sound is more linear and to my liking.

Cool. :thumb:

zoom25

« Reply #72 on: 28 Jul 2017, 07:21 pm »
Hi Zoom,

Reading your enthusiastic post about the Jitterbug persuaded me to finally try one. 39 euro can't cause any misfortune...

I use the exact same setup as you, feeding my BDP1 with the Usb HDD's hooked up to a usb Hub with its own (not yet linear) power supply.

And thats why my next question would be what kind of power supply you use.

I have several devices using a cheap provided wall wart, and to try and isolate these as much as possible, they're powered on their own dedicated power strip, fed from another wall outlet than my main setup.
Still, inevitably they're connected to that main setup. Not only the network interfaces (which don't bother me that much since they're supposed to be isolated transports). Neither do the optical ones worry me. More so do the HDMI and digital coax connections. Think of a cable setup box, or an AppleTV for that matter. Think of USB devices, as my fake BOT drive connected to the BDP. (will test that too with the jitterbug to see if any progress is to me heard.)

All in all, please let me know about your power source, and thoughts on setting several of these up as isolated as possible..

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

Good questions. I'll try to tackle them. They might be all over the place and without a clear defined structure. Hopefully it provides some context. Your main response is at the end.

I think the first thing to know is exactly what is on your circuit. On the particular one for my desktop with the Bryston and Amphion, I only have 2 switching power supplies. One of them is a Sony dock in another room. I haven't had any problems with that. The other switching power I had until now was a router in a closed network. I disabled it's SSID broadcast and so the BDP-1 is not connected to the internet, but only the router which in turn is connected to the ethernet port of my iMac. So I get the internet for my iMac via it's Wifi and use the ethernet for BDP-1.

I used to use a Powerline adapter on the circuit in the past as the router is too far away to run an ethernet cable, which would have been preferable. Powerline adapter is bad in so many ways. If you put your ears close to them, you can actually hear a high pitch whine. Furthermore, they would make some of my headphones buzz. My BDP/DAC/AMP/speaker combo is all balanced and I couldn't hear any problem directly like with headphones, but could tell the dynamics and blackground were comprimised. So Powerline is gone.

I'm looking into some other bridge devices if I need the internet aspect or being able to control the BDP-1 from a tablet again. You need two cards for two network connectivity at the same time. Only the iMac does this for me. I also have to look into if/how much and what kind of crap they are going to put into the mains.

Another thing about Powerline is that it can creep in other circuits. All of those dimmable LED lights should also be avoided. I've played around with different bulbs from different brands. Some high end ones with high CRI and can tell you that not all dimmers and bulbs are made equal. Some can be very noisy when attenuated. However, it's best to avoid them throughout the house. Both the bulbs and powerline put out a lot of RF! I have tested this with headphones connected to a Macbook Pro which was running on battery with power adapter unplugged, so the power couldn't have been a problem. They

Our rigs should are good enough that you won't notice any concrete evidence of problems. It's more of a subtle change in sound that can be fatiguing over time. There's surprisingly a lot more discussion about power, media storage, and format testing on Naim forums. You might want to also look into that.

Solutions:

Isolation Transformer: I'm looking into this more and more for the system. I'll probably be fine with BIT15. I'm already good on the outlets as I upgraded them to some nice Hubbell a few months back. That was a good upgrade.

Switching power supplies: Not all of them are bad and certainly not to the same extent. In general, I try to remove as many as possible, especially on the circuit.

Ethernet: Like USB, ethernet can also be noisy. There are fiber converters where you need to buy a pair of two of them and the incoming ethernet is converted to light and back out to ethernet in second box. Again, good option. Except both of those devices also run on SMPS. So either you then have to worry about how noisy those boxes are vs. the benefit of their conversion. Or get a linear power supply for them as well. It's part of the reason why I didn't get an Uptone Regen and went with the passive Jitterbug as I didn't want to deal with another SMPS and having to replace that with a LPS as well. My goal is to keep the number of devices to a minimum.

Before discussing the power supplies of hard drives, let's just talk about them in practical use. The bigger external hard drives are cheaper by a little bit and can offer bigger max sizes in general and for the money in comparison to the portable hard drives. However, I have yet to find a single external hard drive that was anywhere as quiet sounding as the 5400 portable WD Drives. You cannot hear them even when music is not playing. They are sitting behind the rack along with the hub. So for that reason, I only stick with portable drives....HOWEVER, the external drive runs on 12V. I'll get back to that.

The BDP-1 has its own LPS, so need to worry about that. If you have a BDA-X, then you're good. I use an external Teradak for my DAC, so I'm also covered in that areas: http://www.teradak.com/products/66.html

My amp is a Class D, but it's the cleanest implementation of SMPS I've seen. It's better than some top Class A/AB I've heard in being linear and neutral. Plus, I can leave it on 24/7. So I'm not concerned about any of the major hardware in my rig in terms of power or pollution.

----

Now back to the remaining two SMPS: router for me and portable hard drives and hubs (for both of us).

I checked my SMPS and found that the router and the big WD external hard drive use 12V. The USB hub on the other hand uses 5V. The portable hard drive on the other hand needs a USB input. Here's where you can do a 2-1.

I can get either one 12V LPS that gives 2 root lines: 1 for the router and one for the external big drive. For USB hub, I'll need a separate LPS as its 5V. However, most modems/routers nowadays have USB slots so you can plug the portable hard drive directly to the router which is powered by the LPS. That way you only need one LPS with one output

If you do it this way with the portable drive on the router, then you'll be sending music via ethernet. So you cannot add Jitterbugs to that. However, if needed, one could add the fiber converter I previously mentioned that are also being powered with LPS.

OR, if routers/switches are not needed at all and you're just big external drives or small drives with a LPS, then you get either get a 12V for the big drives or a 5v for the hub. There's many ways a system can be hooked up.

________

Here's another crucial thing I've noticed that I have not seen mentioned yet at all. if you connect say a flash drive and a portable drive directly to the BDP-1 and also an external drive all at the same time, and load the same WAV file on each of them, and then that file from each device, it will sound different! (Which we know)

However, the mere act of plugging in the devices to the BDP-1 doesn't affect them badly. I think the problem arises it's when drawing the stream from each source that the noise type of each source becomes relevant. There doesn't seem to be an adverse affect from having other noisy drives plugged in as long as they are not being used for the music. So that's a positive for Bryston!

You will notice that the BDP-1 is constantly buffering. Unlike with some computers and softwares like Audirvana, you can actually load the entire album and unplug the drive and the entire album will play out. This is the best way to stop worrying about noise from source.

If you've read the forums on memory playback, then you've heard about this: "Our software plays from the memory and not the drive itself so the noise doesn't matter."

To me that's true, but doesn't fully solve the problem. Even then the actual music is being played from memory which it keeps buffering in advance, HOWEVER, the buffer is being updated continuously so the MEDIA STORAGE is ALWAYS in play in the circuit.

I even mentioned this for the BDP-3 as a feature. I want true buffering of all tracks in advance. I don't mind the wait of a few seconds or even the first minute. I want to be able to load all the tracks in the memory and then either put my drive to sleep or even be able to plug the hard drive from the USB port and let it finish the album.

However, there's no need to unplug or put the drives to sleep as there doesn't seem to be an adverse affect of just having the drives plugged in.

I haven't seen any BDP-3 impressions yet, but I'm interested in hearing about what the 8GB of RAM can do for the sound and if it can take the drives out of the scenario after a few seconds.

_________

I'll link some LPS in the future for the hard drives/switches/routers/hubs etc.

I might have missed a few things here and there. It's all over the place with lots of variables that one can choose to control or not if they wish.

zoom25

« Reply #73 on: 28 Jul 2017, 07:26 pm »
BTW forgot to ask: how did you like the Jitterbug so far?

When I initially got it, I was not using it with hard drives, but rather at iMac to feed my DAC. I noticed it took 3-4 days for the sound to open up. It felt dark sounding initially. The extreme top end wasn't there yet. Just factor that in and feed stuff through it for a couple of days 24/7 if you already haven't.

Cheers!

Marius

« Reply #75 on: 29 Jul 2017, 11:28 am »
BTW forgot to ask: how did you like the Jitterbug so far?

When I initially got it, I was not using it with hard drives, but rather at iMac to feed my DAC. I noticed it took 3-4 days for the sound to open up. It felt dark sounding initially. The extreme top end wasn't there yet. Just factor that in and feed stuff through it for a couple of days 24/7 if you already haven't.

Cheers!

It just arrived in the mail! No listening yet, just a first try on the front USB ports of the Bdp. It won’t play at all.....  :scratch:

Will study your other post in detail a bit later, have to run now, but thanks!

Marius

Marius

« Reply #76 on: 30 Jul 2017, 09:49 am »
Hi Zoom,

No luck sofar... my BDP1 won't recognize any drives on my usb hub through the Jitterbug. Ive attached a dvd drive and 3 usb drives to the hub, and that worked perfectly before. I hear them spinning and see the hdd leds lit, so they must have power.  :scratch:

In the manual Audioquest states they make usb 3 drives behave like usb2 and spin them down, maybe thats conflicting in my setup.

ive installed the latest firmware at the same time. hope thats not buggy, which i can't imagine tbh.
My ancient Macbook Pro has no issues reading the usb3 drive through the jitterbug.

Cheers,
Marius
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2017, 12:51 pm by Marius »

bjski

« Reply #77 on: 30 Jul 2017, 03:44 pm »
Hi Zoom,

No luck sofar... my BDP1 won't recognize any drives on my usb hub through the Jitterbug. Ive attached a dvd drive and 3 usb drives to the hub, and that worked perfectly before. I hear them spinning and see the hdd leds lit, so they must have power.  :scratch:

In the manual Audioquest states they make usb 3 drives behave like usb2 and spin them down, maybe thats conflicting in my setup.

ive installed the latest firmware at the same time. hope thats not buggy, which i can't imagine tbh.
My ancient Macbook Pro has no issues reading the usb3 drive through the jitterbug.

Cheers,
Marius

I noticed my Jitterbug did not work with some USB cables. Wireworld in particular. The Jitterbug did work with Audioquest cables. I use a BDP-1 and a BDP-2. Waiting for a BDP-3 and will report if the jitterbug will work with Wireworld cables.
I have Legacy Aeris speakers and now using the Legacy Wavelet as the Preamp. I have switched the the power supply to HDPLEX. The HDPLEX has lowered the noise floor and increased definition.

zoom25

« Reply #78 on: 30 Jul 2017, 04:16 pm »
Hi Marius,

I've taken a look at my flash drives, hard drives, and the hub.

I've used both USB 3.0 and 2.0 for both the flash drives and the hard drives. The hub is USB 2.0.

Can you confirm whether the Jitterbug is working at all? Try plugging it to the BDP-1 with a flash drive attached or with a USB output from a computer to a BDA. Or if you have a big external drive, try connecting that to the BDP-1 as well via the Jitterbug. If all of those work, then it might be the USB hub.

I do remember that the Jitterbug limits the performance of USB 3.0 to USB 2.0. Although, I didn't think it would completely block it. Let's make sure that the device is actually working. If it's not working, get a refund ASAP. If it is, I'd contact Audioquest for help. Also, I'm using stock Belkin Gold USB cables. They meet the spec quite well. I've had USB and HDMI cables that worked in some setups, but not others. Maybe if you have a different A to B USB cable, that could also be worth a try.

Let's figure out if the things works at all, and if so, in which scenarios.

EDIT: Just read: "My ancient Macbook Pro has no issues reading the usb3 drive through the jitterbug."

Okay, so the thing works. Try connecting one external powered drive without the hub and see if that works. Either it's the hub itself or the USB A to B master output cable in the hub.

zoom25

« Reply #79 on: 30 Jul 2017, 04:25 pm »
I noticed my Jitterbug did not work with some USB cables. Wireworld in particular. The Jitterbug did work with Audioquest cables. I use a BDP-1 and a BDP-2. Waiting for a BDP-3 and will report if the jitterbug will work with Wireworld cables.
I have Legacy Aeris speakers and now using the Legacy Wavelet as the Preamp. I have switched the the power supply to HDPLEX. The HDPLEX has lowered the noise floor and increased definition.

For which product did you get the HDPLEX?