DaveC's RMAF Reviews

JoshK

Re: DaveC's RMAF Reviews
« Reply #40 on: 17 Oct 2013, 02:22 am »
EMIA is Jeffrey Jackson (former Eleven Horns, some others) + Dave Slagle (Intact Audio)

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #41 on: 17 Oct 2013, 02:25 am »
I did miss that room...  :(

I wish I would have stopped by as I am interested in Intact's autoformer volume controls.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #42 on: 17 Oct 2013, 02:49 am »
Hey Dave, it was nice to meet ... for some reason I pictured you a more of an unkempt old curmudgeon, not a young stylish dude  :D

Next time, you and I can chase everybody out of the room with an electronica-fest.  I'm always looking for a reason to dig into my collection, and I know I have a few jewels in there that would have had you writing down names. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #43 on: 17 Oct 2013, 03:24 pm »
Hi Ryan, good to meet you too, I would definitely be interested in checking out your collection. Lol, I'm closing in on 40 real quick, but I'll take the "young" comment.  :thumb:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #44 on: 17 Oct 2013, 04:03 pm »
Hi Ryan, good to meet you too, I would definitely be interested in checking out your collection. Lol, I'm closing in on 40 real quick, but I'll take the "young" comment.  :thumb:

I hear ya on that ... just one more year till 40 for me  :o

One that pops into my head, check out Monolake - Ghosts.  Very spatial, ambient, ethereal kinda of stuff.

OzarkTom

« Reply #45 on: 17 Oct 2013, 04:05 pm »
Audio Beat wound up giving the Wavelenth-Vaughn system as the best of show.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/rmaf2013/rmaf2013_wavelength_vaughn.htm

A friend now has these plasma drivers in his system and he says this is definitely a game changer.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #46 on: 17 Oct 2013, 04:09 pm »
Thanks for the coverage and photos Dave.  8)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #47 on: 17 Oct 2013, 04:13 pm »
Agreed with everyone else here, Dave - your coverage and comments are killer.  It was great meeting you this year.

audioengr

« Reply #48 on: 17 Oct 2013, 09:19 pm »
Great value for the money and worth looking at if TAD is out of your price range...

I've had both in my room and I chose the Vapors.
Steve N.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #49 on: 18 Oct 2013, 02:18 am »
Steve, you mean the Nimbus?

I'd need to hear both under more identical conditions to know for sure. I do think the Nimbus sounded better at the show, I was front row center and the bass was pretty clean... not perfect but good. I was 3rd row center listening to the Joules and the bass was way more out of control, which made it difficult to compare the two. I do think there is a more ethereal, clear and detailed presentation of the mids and highs with the Joules. Both great speakers though...

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #50 on: 18 Oct 2013, 02:31 am »
Steve, you mean the Nimbus?

I'd need to hear both under more identical conditions to know for sure. I do think the Nimbus sounded better at the show, I was front row center and the bass was pretty clean... not perfect but good. I was 3rd row center listening to the Joules and the bass was way more out of control, which made it difficult to compare the two. I do think there is a more ethereal, clear and detailed presentation of the mids and highs with the Joules. Both great speakers though...

Both sides had a bass node if you got back beyond the first row.  It would have taken a LOT more bass trapping to do anything about it in a room that size.  At home where everything is quite well controlled, I'm not sure which speakers bass I like better ... but the Joule is clearly better from 500hz up, just as it should be. 

Bombaywalla

« Reply #51 on: 22 Oct 2013, 10:21 pm »
Hi DaveC,
I was also at the show this year & visited pretty much (but not) all the rooms you visited & (surprisingly) many of my favourites are also your favourites!
You mentioned that you have no recollection of the Rowland-Raidho room - It was very good. Good PRaT from the speakers. good tonality, good timbre, dynamic & not as dark/brooding as prev gen Rowland gear used to be. The larger Model 625 amp was Much more dynamic than a recent smaller-chassis Model 525 class-D amp that was playing the Green Mountain room on Fri & Sat (later on Sat or maybe Sun, Green Mtn Audio switched out the Rowland for the Edge power amp with much better results).

here are my pix from RMAF2013:
https://picasaweb.google.com/bombaywalla9/RMAF2013Day1?authkey=Gv1sRgCOyJ9Z6C85_D8QE#
https://picasaweb.google.com/bombaywalla9/2013RMAFDay2?authkey=Gv1sRgCMeIs6LuxJuOWQ#
https://picasaweb.google.com/bombaywalla9/2013RMAFDay3?authkey=Gv1sRgCInAw6LazorokwE#