4B Sq. Arrives!

1ZIP

4B Sq. Arrives!
« on: 22 Apr 2009, 01:44 am »
Heard today that my 4B SQ. has arrived and is available for pick up.  :) Thursday night should be a "all nighter" with the CD's.  This completes the Bryston system (BCD-1, BP-26, 4B SST sq. & Bryston ICs) except for maybe a Torus, undecided with that piece of Eq.

Thanks James for all the help with these acquisitions over the last 5 months.  Bryston customer service has got to be thee best in the industry! :thumb:

werd

Re: 4B Sq. Arrives!
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2009, 02:02 am »
Heard today that my 4B SQ. has arrived and is available for pick up.  :) Thursday night should be a "all nighter" with the CD's.  This completes the Bryston system (BCD-1, BP-26, 4B SST sq. & Bryston ICs) except for maybe a Torus, undecided with that piece of Eq.

Thanks James for all the help with these acquisitions over the last 5 months.  Bryston customer service has got to be thee best in the industry! :thumb:

So do u have it yet zip?

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2009, 02:20 am »
Zip,nice setup.

1ZIP

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2009, 02:43 am »
WERD;

Not yet, can't get over there (it's 70 miles and a ferry ride to pick it up) until Thursday.  It feels like Christmas in April!

werd

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2009, 03:05 am »
WERD;

Not yet, can't get over there (it's 70 miles and a ferry ride to pick it up) until Thursday.  It feels like Christmas in April!

You know what they say " no pain no gain" ..... get it.  Waitn for gear is kinda fun.

danman

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2009, 12:11 pm »
Congrats 1ZIP! Believe me you will enjoy! aa

werd

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2009, 03:39 pm »
Yes i am interested in knowing how it goes with the B&W's, I am sure may people are too. You will be able to do back to back st to sst/sq comparisons.

werd

« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2009, 06:15 pm »
Hey Zip

I hope you didnt forget to buy the extended 2 year warranty for 500 bucks..... :lol:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2009, 11:45 pm »
1ZIP, are you gonna have a turntable in your system?

1ZIP

« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2009, 03:17 am »
I'm using a old Thorens TD-160 right now fitted with a Shure M97xe and a Bellari VP-130 Tube Phono Pre-amp.  But I've got a terrible 60hz problem that I can't seem to fix no matter what I do and I've tried everything.  So it doesn't get used much.

werd

« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2009, 04:46 am »
You there Zip? You under the spell of the 4bSQ. That new 4B has some serious voodoo attached to it.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2009, 04:57 am »
I'm using a old Thorens TD-160 right now fitted with a Shure M97xe and a Bellari VP-130 Tube Phono Pre-amp.  But I've got a terrible 60hz problem that I can't seem to fix no matter what I do and I've tried everything.  So it doesn't get used much.

It's probably that Bellari. They've been known to hum. Did you get the phono input in your BP26? The Bryston phono stage is fantastic!

1ZIP

Re: 4B Sq. Arrives! ST vs SST2
« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2009, 07:57 am »
Well, I brought the 4 Sq. home late this afternoon, got it all wired up, and threw in a CD, Jeff Oster "True" then tried Bucket Head "Electric Tears".  I was just into the second cut when I decided to crank it up and we immediately lost power.  Power went down over six counties and a couple hundred thousand people in the dark for seven hours....and I thought to myself...."this is my kind of amp!!"  But as good as Bryston is ....it actually turned out to be a drunk attracted to a power pole.

So, I've only been listening for a couple of hours, but what first grabs you are the highs, detailed, crisp without being edgy, extended and effortless.  The bass is likewise more detailed, deeper and tighter.  The sound stage is deeper and and a hair broader.  Some have said the the sound is a little more analogue and I think that is true.  It is very easy to listen to and tends to pull you into and make you part of the music (I hope that doesn't sound like I've gone round the bend).  As James said, "the music/sound has to take you somewhere".   It's about 1:00AM here and I find it difficult to turn it off and turn in.  And all this from a system that as a unit is not burned in yet.  I can't imagine what it is going to sound like in a couple of hundred hours!  Someone asked about the B&Ws...Bryston makes them sing!  Something else...the notes don't seem to be stepping on one another.

I can't address SST to SST2 changes but the changes and improvement from ST to SST2 is significant!  Is it worth the $$ spent....absolutely....I would recommend an upgrade without a second thought!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #13 on: 24 Apr 2009, 10:57 am »
1ZIP

I laughed out loud and spilled my coffee when I read this:

Power went down over six counties and a couple hundred thousand people in the dark for seven hours....and I thought to myself...."this is my kind of amp!!"

Terrific line sir!

james

Moon Doggy

Re: 4B Sq. Arrives! ST vs SST2
« Reply #14 on: 24 Apr 2009, 12:07 pm »
Well, I brought the 4 Sq. home late this afternoon, got it all wired up, and threw in a CD, Jeff Oster "True" then tried Bucket Head "Electric Tears".  I was just into the second cut when I decided to crank it up and we immediately lost power.  Power went down over six counties and a couple hundred thousand people in the dark for seven hours....and I thought to myself...."this is my kind of amp!!" 
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: I thought the new Soft-Start Circuit was supposed to prevent that problem :scratch: Glad you are enjoying! Congrats!

Robert D

« Reply #15 on: 24 Apr 2009, 12:12 pm »
1ZIP ,  Suggestion for Buddy , Leave on your Bryston Gear don't turn it off....  Leave it on low. My equipment is left on.

Your Speakers will be happy as well.
And your sound will be even Better

Robert

danman

« Reply #16 on: 24 Apr 2009, 12:23 pm »
1ZIP, I had the same experience when I got mine 2 weeks ago. We had a freak snowstorm and I ended up staying home the day after I received it and figured cool, I will have the whole day to play around with it. Well that was until 120km winds knocked out the power. Looks like we had the same luck! :o

Also it was nice to hear from someone else who experienced pretty well the same difference in sound from the ST series. I cannot speak for the SST models.

Not sure about the burn in factor as I thought that Bryston pretty well took care of that!!?

1ZIP

« Reply #17 on: 24 Apr 2009, 03:59 pm »
Danman;

Like Werd said, "its voodoo"!

Vegas Dave:

I've got the basic 26 and the phono set up I have now is far from state of the art but with the resurgence of vinyl I may have to look at an upgrade.   I've read good things about Brystons phono amp.

werd

« Reply #18 on: 24 Apr 2009, 04:11 pm »
I can't address SST to SST2 changes but the changes and improvement from ST to SST2 is significant!  Is it worth the $$ spent....absolutely....I would recommend an upgrade without a second thought!

Hi Zip1

The SST doesnt sound like the SST/sq, Infact i think the sst is more like the st than the sst/sq in tone.

werd

« Reply #19 on: 24 Apr 2009, 04:35 pm »
I've been wanting to hear the SQ series with B&W speaks. The B&W have those kevlar mids and are very rigid. The tweeters dont let up either as far high freq extension. The new sq series, i believe, will really tame the tweeter and soften the attack of the midrange drivers that are so stiff.

As you would know now Zip1, my hunch has been that Classe and Mcintosh are going to feel the sweat from competition by Bryston with these new amps.