Omega Super 3i Monitors

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: Omega Super 3i Monitors
« Reply #40 on: 3 Jun 2015, 09:45 pm »
Hm well, it might be a necessity, but I was thinking, there might be an option placing them closer to a wall, I am not sure but thought some prefers a downfiring port, maybe they would give me more options. But I'm not sure if that kind of placement would demand or profit from a downfiring port,

Jorgen,

When talking with Louis about XRS models: Super 7 with rear port vs. Super Alnico with bottom port, he suggested that the bottom port helped to reduce room effects.  FWIW.

........Peter

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #41 on: 3 Jun 2015, 10:34 pm »
Hm well, it might not be a necessity, but I was thinking, there might be an option placing them close to a wall, I am not sure but thought some users prefers a downfiring port in that case, maybe that would give me more options, in terms of placement. But I'm not sure if that kind of placement would demand or profit from a downfiring port, so... (This is why wanted to know, but maybe it's the wrong way to think of it
The downfiring port on the Super 3 Desktop allows the port to couple with the desktop if there is no back wall available and these speakers have been very successful.  I currently have my Super 3i's on the desktop very close to the backing wall which reinforces the bass thus negating the need for a sub and saving lots of $$$.  My rig sounds really good, but a pair of Super 3 Desktops with a deepOmega 8 under the desk would be better.  If you're going to have a pair of 7 Monitors with downfiring port, they would need spikes or some way of giving the bottom port breathing room, not to mention a fitted top plate on your stands.  Years ago Louis did a set of Super 5 Monitors with side firing ports.

MPSchenck

« Reply #42 on: 5 Jun 2015, 04:10 pm »
Just an Update

I have about 25 hours on them now and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

I'll have my stands up and running tonight.

I ordered these http://amzn.to/1IprTdc, filled the uprights with sand, and cut an oak board down (and painted it) to mount over the top plate. 

Edit: The stands actually turned out WAY nicer than that last sentence sounds.
« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2015, 05:42 pm by MPSchenck »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #43 on: 5 Jun 2015, 07:49 pm »
Those stands should work really well.

MPSchenck

« Reply #44 on: 5 Jun 2015, 11:57 pm »
Here it is...

milford3

« Reply #45 on: 6 Jun 2015, 01:06 am »
Here it is...

MP, those look great.  Now it's time for placement.  A little toe in perhaps?  It my take two or three weeks to get it right but well worth it.  Let the fun begin. :beer:

Louis O

« Reply #46 on: 6 Jun 2015, 02:28 am »
Hi MPSchenck.

Thanks and great news. The set up looks terrific and the stands are great.

Thanks again,
Louis

Brad

« Reply #47 on: 6 Jun 2015, 03:06 am »
Is that an Ikea Expedit on its side, to hold your components and vinyl?

Terrific idea!

hdrider

« Reply #48 on: 6 Jun 2015, 05:39 am »
Looking GREAT!! Just play them, don't get all audiophile/critical had almost 70 hours after the first full week and that weekend was just kind of… who gives a blip, let's just listen. Play, Play and Play some more, then in a month or so get your favorite records/files/discs and beverage and RELAX in front of the music. You are ready for some major music mojo. Happy listening, Chris.

beowulf

« Reply #49 on: 6 Jun 2015, 08:31 am »
MPSchenck, great looking setup.  I really dig the tweed, it's got a retro sort of vibe to it!

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 6 Jun 2015, 04:39 pm »
Very nice minimalist system MPSchenck.  My 3is finish are similar to yours and it's one of my favorites.  Your whole system looks terrific.  Enjoy!  :thumb:

MPSchenck

« Reply #51 on: 7 Jun 2015, 02:17 am »

MP, those look great.  Now it's time for placement.  A little toe in perhaps?  It my take two or three weeks to get it right but well worth it.  Let the fun begin. :beer:

Thanks! I've been messing around with the placement on and off all day today.

Hi MPSchenck.

Thanks and great news. The set up looks terrific and the stands are great.

Thanks again,
Louis

Thanks, Louis!

Is that an Ikea Expedit on its side, to hold your components and vinyl?

Terrific idea!

Well, technically is a Kallax shelf, the Expedit series was discontinued, but it's essentially the same thing. The Expedit/Kallax stuff is designed to be used stand up or on it's side.

Thanks!

Looking GREAT!! Just play them, don't get all audiophile/critical had almost 70 hours after the first full week and that weekend was just kind of… who gives a blip, let's just listen. Play, Play and Play some more, then in a month or so get your favorite records/files/discs and beverage and RELAX in front of the music. You are ready for some major music mojo. Happy listening, Chris.

Thanks!  I was going to blast through the first 80 hours or so, but I've just been enjoying listening to my favorite records through them.

MPSchenck, great looking setup.  I really dig the tweed, it's got a retro sort of vibe to it!

Thanks! I'm super glad I ended up getting the bleached tweed with quartersawn fumed oak sides.  (Thanks for that suggestion, Louis!)

Very nice minimalist system MPSchenck.  My 3is finish are similar to yours and it's one of my favorites.  Your whole system looks terrific.  Enjoy!  :thumb:

Thanks!  I was going to minimalistic (and relatively inexpensive).