SET and Omega experience.

raysracing

SET and Omega experience.
« on: 14 Feb 2014, 03:57 am »
My new/used Music Paradise MP301 MK3 and my older Omega 3's with new RS5 drivers are a match made in heaven as everyone said it would be. I couldn't be happier.

The detail is all there and they produce more bass now then I noticed before. But I'm using speaker cables way too long, poor quality audio cables, and my digital music is coming from my PC without an external DAC!! Yes, just a cheap 3.5mm to RCA cable from the motherboard output. And Trichotomy had all the dynamics and Stacie Kent has ALL the sounds from the recording studio. Creaking chairs, breath, piano pedals, reed sounds...no external DAC or even audiophile sound card.

Wait till I get a new DAC and go back to the Paul Pang USB with linear power supply. I cannot wait!
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2014, 03:01 pm by raysracing »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: SET and Omega experience.
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2014, 06:39 am »
Congratulations raysracing,

It truly is a different world, and amazing that a flea powered tube amp and a pair of 4.5" drivers can literally blow away a 5 figure SS system with multi driver speakers.  Wait till you get a DAC and good cabling.  What DAC do you have in mind?

About six years ago I discovered the SET/Omega experience and have never looked back.  What power tubes do you have in your 301?  Often an amp that uses the octal based power tubes can use several different types of power tube without re-biasing (EL34, 6L6, 6550, some or all the KT's, etc.).  Check with your owner's manual to be sure.

It has been interesting following your journey to musical bliss.  Enjoy!

fiveoclockfriday

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2014, 01:14 pm »
Ray, it was a pleasure meeting you, and I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the amp. It really does sound great, it just didn't fit my situation right now.

Thanks for telling me about the meetings too, I'm looking into coming out for the March get together.

- Eric

raysracing

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2014, 02:14 pm »
Ray, it was a pleasure meeting you, and I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the amp. It really does sound great, it just didn't fit my situation right now.

Thanks for telling me about the meetings too, I'm looking into coming out for the March get together.

- Eric

oh no, thank you!

Canada Rob I have the EL34 tubes. In time I'll start tube rolling to have some tweaking fun. The DAC on my radar is the iDSD if I go all in on DSD or possibly any number of $200-$400 DAC's that can output minimum 24bit 192 via USB.  SOoo many choices.

nature boy

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2014, 02:39 pm »
Ray,

Congratulations.  I have never looked back since pairing my Decware SET and Louis's single driver speakers.  Enjoy.

NB

FireGuy

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2014, 04:45 pm »
Ray,

Congratulations.  I have never looked back since pairing my Decware SET and Louis's single driver speakers.  Enjoy.

NB

This too is  my next step with Louis' single-driver Super 5.    RS5 cohessiveness is impressive.  Looking foward to a most enjoyable evolution that is forthcoming.

romanrolan

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2014, 08:35 pm »
My new/used Music Paradise MP301 MK3 and my older Omega 3's with new RS5 drivers are a match made in heaven as everyone said it would be. I couldn't be happier.

The detail is all there and they produce more bass now then I noticed before. But I'm using speaker cables way too long, poor quality audio cables, and my digital music is coming from my PC without an external DAC!! Yes, just a 3.5mm to RCA cheaply cable from the motherboard output. And Trichotomy had all the dynamics and Stacie Kent has ALL the sounds from the recording studio. Creaking chairs, breath, piano pedals, reed sounds...no external DAC or even audiophile sound card.

Wait till I get a new DAC and go back to the Paul Pang USB with linear power supply. I cannot wait!

Congratulations, I now want to order a omega super 3i, I already have a Rega Dac and I also look towards Music Paradise MP301, if my budget will allow, I would like to try Almarro mk205ii, a lot of guys on the forums said the Almarro with Omega is almost perfect match for the music.
Keep us posted as your sound system with new components! Good luck to you!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2014, 10:14 pm »
I agree about the SET/Omega match, it is great!

ray, if you want to tube roll check out the Gold Lion KT77, they are really nice...

It's worth spending on a good DAC and cables, it won't be lost on your system as good equipment will elevate the performance of your amp/speakers to very high levels.  :thumb:

Moot

« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2014, 04:55 am »
Me, too!

I'm running my Super 6 Monitors on no more than 3.5 Watts and I have the best sound I've ever had! I, too, was really surprised at how much more bass I got from two 2A3 tubes than I had got from two 70 Watt SS monoblocks.

CanadaRob had really pressed me to go the SET route, and I'm sure glad I took his advice!

hmtcph

« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2014, 10:15 pm »
Interesting discussion. Has anyone tried to run the Super 6 (93 db) on 2w - I have a modded Almarro a205II and have always thought of converting it to triode, though the 2w it will produce will not be sufficient at least on paper?

Cheers
Henrik

romanrolan

« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2014, 03:08 am »
 :P I know that Almarro 205 MKii has 5 watts on one channel!
You aren't mistaken?

hmtcph

« Reply #11 on: 17 Feb 2014, 09:56 am »

5w in pentode-mode, but it can fairly easy be switched to triode-, which would give a little less than 2w. Very much insufficient according to all rules etc., but I have been running 86db speakers on the little amp with good results. I guess it all comes down to the transformers and of course if the speakers are an easy load - meaning do not go below 4 ohms.

Cheers
Henrik

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 17 Feb 2014, 05:02 pm »
Back when I ran the 93db 4.5" hempcone based Omegas (Super 5 Monitor and Super 5XRS), the Decware 2 w/ch SET was borderline in a room situation, but worked well on a desktop or nearfield.  With an Omega Deep Hemp sub, the system worked well in a larger room though.  With the new 94.5db RS5 driver based Super 3XRS in a large room I rarely go above 12 o'clock on the volume control of the Decware and the recording I listen to often determines how well the system loads the room, and this is all without a sub.

If I were looking to buy the Super 6 Monitor or XRS I would go with the Almarro A205 SEP at 5w/ch, an octal based SET (6L6, EL34, 6550, the KT's, etc.), or 3.5 w/ch 2A3 SET.

jorgen

« Reply #13 on: 17 Feb 2014, 08:23 pm »
Hey rob
I saw your post, was just wondering if you had only changed your speakers and if that made such a big difference? If I read your post correctly that is.... Seems to me that those drivers are pretty much the same sensitivity, but there might be other differences? What I'm asking I guess is if you could elaborate a little your experiences..

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 18 Feb 2014, 01:51 am »
Hello Jorgen,

Basically the only change was the speakers.  With the hemp driver I ran the SE84C+ and the SE84CCE Select with V-Caps and stepped attenuator, and with the RS5 driver I ran the SE84CCE Select with V-Caps and stepped attenuator and the latest SE84CKC Select with V-Caps and stepped attenuator.  The latest SE84 is in my opinion the best sonically but no more powerful than the others. 

Guy 13

« Reply #15 on: 18 Feb 2014, 02:07 am »
Back when I ran the 93db 4.5" hempcone based Omegas (Super 5 Monitor and Super 5XRS), the Decware 2 w/ch SET was borderline in a room situation, but worked well on a desktop or nearfield.  With an Omega Deep Hemp sub, the system worked well in a larger room though.  With the new 94.5db RS5 driver based Super 3XRS in a large room I rarely go above 12 o'clock on the volume control of the Decware and the recording I listen to often determines how well the system loads the room, and this is all without a sub.

If I were looking to buy the Super 6 Monitor or XRS I would go with the Almarro A205 SEP at 5w/ch, an octal based SET (6L6, EL34, 6550, the KT's, etc.), or 3.5 w/ch 2A3 SET.
Hi Canada Rob and all Audio Circle members.
As you know already I also have  a Decware SE84C+ but with a Omega 7F OB Dipole.
With most of my CDs the volume control (Not stepped attenuator,
 therefore, maybe not very linear)
is set between 12 O'clock and 4 O'clock which is the maximum setting.
Depending of the recording level of the CD most of the time it's plenty loud.
Of course, the amplifier get help from a big brother by the name of GR Research SA-1
it's 240 watts plate amplifier driving two 12" in parallel.
My set up is nearfield.
Of course a Bottlehead Stereomour 2a3 would be better for the dynamics,
but I would have to spend more than 1,000 USD,
so I have to be happy with what I have now and what I have now,
is better than many audiophiles with their 500 wpc solid 5,000 USD state monsters.

Guy 13

Decware after sales service is fantastic, you can e-mail
or even talk on the phone with Steve the designer and own.

beowulf

« Reply #16 on: 18 Feb 2014, 08:22 am »
Congratulations, I now want to order a omega super 3i, I already have a Rega Dac and I also look towards Music Paradise MP301, if my budget will allow, I would like to try Almarro mk205ii, a lot of guys on the forums said the Almarro with Omega is almost perfect match for the music.
Keep us posted as your sound system with new components! Good luck to you!

I'm running a Rega DAC myself, along with a Decware Taboo Mk III SEP @ 6 watts and the Omega 7F drivers in the Super 3 cabinets. They're great for music and gets plenty loud.  I also run a Rega Brio-R at 50 watts which is no slouch in the bang for the buck performance, but the Decware is better than the Rega in every category except for volume (and of course inputs).  When it comes to watching movies, I prefer the extra watts of the Brio-R over the Decware, but that's the only time I prefer it.

I'm seriously considering the Line Magnetic 211IA EL34, which ticks a lot of boxes for me when it comes to performance, price and flexibility.  However if I could afford the Decware Torii MK III or IV or Zen Mystery Amp I would purchase one of those before anything else.
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2014, 12:34 am by beowulf »

Guy 13

« Reply #17 on: 18 Feb 2014, 11:13 am »
I'm running a Rega DAC myself, along with a Decware Taboo Mk III SEP @ 6 watts and the Omega 7F drivers in the Super 3 cabinets. It's absolutely delicious for music and gets plenty loud.  I also run a Rega Brio-R at 50 watts which is no slouch in the bang for the buck performance, but the Decware is better than the Rega in every category except for volume (and of course inputs).  When it comes to watching movies, I prefer the extra watts of the Brio-R over the Decware, but that's the only time I prefer it.

I'm seriously considering the Line Magnetic 211IA EL34, which ticks a lot of boxes for me when it comes to performance, price and flexibility.  However if I could afford the Decware Torii MK III or IV or Zen Mystery Amp I would purchase one of those before anything else.

Hi beowulf and all Audio Circle members.
Did you wrote that you have a Omega 7F driver
installed in a Super 3 cabinet?
Do you mean a cabinet you built yourself with dimensions
similar/identical to the original Omega Super 3 cabinet?
Because if that's so, that's exactly what I want to do.
The only difference is that I would like to mount the 7F
on the narrow side of the cabinet, if that's possible
and if there are now down sides doing that.
How about the bass? Do you really need a separate sub-woofer?
For small ensemble and solo guitar.
I think no sub is needed, what do you think?
I already ask those questions to Louis,
but I am sure he's busy doing something more important than taking care of a customer that has already bought a Omega 7F.
Yes, that's a little rude and even impolite,
but am I asking for too much?
Am I too much in a hurry and impatient?
Maybe yes.
Sorry.
But you have the experience,
that's why I would like you to share your experience
with a fellow Audio Circle member.
Thanks.

Guy 13

Anxiously waiting for your comments.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 18 Feb 2014, 04:08 pm »
Hello Guy,

As far as imaging goes the Super 3XRS is the best imaging speaker I have heard in decades of audio, period.  It presents a huge soundstage and that is with a Decware SE84CKC w/stepped attenuator and V-Caps.  I believe the wide baffle opens up the midrange, which opens up the soundstage.  The back tilt also helps "throw" the sound up and out into the room.  The Super 6XRS is also the same design.  The Super 3XRS and the Super 6XRS are probably some of the most successful speakers Louis has ever built.  I personally would go wide baffle.

seikosha

« Reply #19 on: 18 Feb 2014, 05:14 pm »
Hi Canada Rob,

Like you, I run my 3XRS's with a SE84CKC.  I'm thrilled with the sound, but as much as I love it, I of course can't help but wonder what would happen if I threw the 6XRS's into the system.  By any chance have you heard that combo and if so, could you compare it with your current setup?