Super 7 XRS

Moot

Re: Super 7 XRS
« Reply #20 on: 31 Dec 2013, 03:17 am »
...I will report back after I hit the 100hr mark....

Dwight

Have you hit 100 hours yet? I'm very interested in your opinion on these.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #21 on: 21 Feb 2014, 12:51 am »
Hi everyone
had to create a profile. I ve been emailing with Louis, long story short, 35" x11x8 floorstanders with 7" alnicos. High WAF with bubinga finish i hope.

Did you get them yet?  Impressions / photos ?!

jorgen

« Reply #22 on: 21 Feb 2014, 08:14 am »
Hi there
No, I havent gotten them yet, emailed with Louis last week and he was working with the veneering, Im not sure how much job that is, from what I understand he is really busy. Good for the business, and good for us!  Changed my mind about the finish after I wrote that post, so they will be in zebrawood, easier to fit in with my livingroom. Louis was really cool about it, gave good advise. I have been spending my days reading a lot about speakers and set-up and experiences, the more I read the more I understand, and understand that there really is a lot to learn. Thats good for a semi Asperger.. Im really glad I chose not some DIY route, I think building good sounding and looking speakers isnt something most of us are able to do. I wanted this set-up for the joy of music, I have reassured by Louis and other that this combo will be nice.

The good thing is that the decware amp will be sent today.- so I hope speakers will be on finsihed pretty soon to... also DAC and cables are bought and inhouse.. Only a toslink-cable missing. Meanwhile there is headphones connected to the DAC since I have already sold my old stuff.

Of course I will post impressions and pictures when  everything is up and running. I would like to invite everyone for a taste, but its a long way from the US...
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2014, 11:24 am by jorgen »

pstrisik

« Reply #23 on: 21 Feb 2014, 02:43 pm »
I'll look forward to hearing and seeing more.  I'm hopefully going to talk with Louis today and get the ball rolling for myself.

« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2014, 04:41 pm by pstrisik »

jorgen

« Reply #24 on: 4 Mar 2014, 10:42 am »
Hi there
First of all, maybe this is not the right thread to post in, I ordered a custom build cabinet, its close to 3 XRS but not totally.
I have been reading/emailing a bit more, and from what I understand, the driver i bought is not an OEM Omega driver, but im not sure if that means Louis has "fiddled" some or nothing with it at all, or ordered to specifics maybe?  Im not sure either what separates this one from an OEM 7" when it comes to sonic differences, maybe its only a little, and to be honest, i believe any diffences wouldnt be correct to tag as better or worse, only different.  I sure trust Louis when he states this is a great combo with the cabs and the amp i have bought.
The only thing i think about is that, from what i understand, the Speed 12 is customized to be a super combo with the RS5 (correct?), but im not sure if it also will be a equally great combo with the 7" Alnico?
That said, i have not thought much about adding a Speed twelwe or a sub to my system at the moment, mainly because I havent heard the final result yet, and I believe/know the quality of sound will be superior to my prior system. (but gotta admit i have been reading about both the existing sub and the super twelwe, I will be forty later this year, and I know i have to fix it myself if there is to be a proper box like that wrapped and ready..)

I`ve realised that even if I consider myself pretty good in english, there are a lot of info i do not fully understand, speaking a different language, especially when it comes to technical language and expressions, so probably are some of the Qs I have a result of not being able to read things correctly.

Maybe I should just start a new thread; Thing to do while waiting for audio gear!

(and just realised I really did not have much to say in this post...)
Have a nice day everyone!

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #25 on: 4 Mar 2014, 10:49 pm »
Hi Jorgen,

I assume it is one of Louis' diy drivers and as you have already mentioned, if Louis says it is good...... :thumb:
All of Louis' subs/bass cabinets will work with any of his speakers, probably best to wait and see what your needs are after you get the speakers and amp running together.

Lin

Louis O

« Reply #26 on: 9 Mar 2014, 06:49 pm »
Hi All,

Great posts and Jorgen's driver is alnico and slightly tweaked version of the M7A that are going to be put in my production.

These speakers are really special and the look hints to the up-line Paramount that I'm working on.

Jorgen I would get them first and then decide on whether you want to go with Speed12's.

Thanks again,
Louis

jorgen

« Reply #27 on: 21 Mar 2014, 06:27 pm »
Hey guys
The speakers have arrived, hooked up and tested! Wrote an email to Louis and thanked him for his execellent craftmansship. In my eyes speakers looks absolutely beatiful. I have only been able to listen to them for an hour or so and I think they sounds very good just out of the box. I find it diffcult to describe sound so early. I will try to, give me some hours to enjoy first. Have to say im really pleased with the Omega experience

pstrisik

« Reply #28 on: 21 Mar 2014, 09:07 pm »
Congrats Jorgen!  I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions and seeing some photos!  Louis is making for me something very similar.

Louis, can you say if the 7A drivers in Jorgen's are the same that I will have and if there is any difference in cabinet dimensions?

Thanks!

.......Peter

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #29 on: 27 Mar 2014, 11:05 am »
A Phone call to Louis will lighten your back account  :o

I will report back after I hit the 100hr mark....

Dwight

Wow, great looking!

Louis O

« Reply #30 on: 28 Mar 2014, 11:26 pm »
Hi Peter,

Thanks and they are the same alnico that you're getting. The cabs will be the same size too. I made the specs very similar between the drivers.

Thanks,
Louis

Louis O

« Reply #31 on: 28 Mar 2014, 11:27 pm »
Many thanks Fullrangeman. They are made the old way and no ring magnet.

Thanks,
Louis

jorgen

« Reply #32 on: 29 Mar 2014, 10:32 am »

Hi guys

First of all, sorry for my broken english and really long sentences.
 My system by now; PC streaming WIMP lossless as source, settings set to max (studio quality), im using a Dacmagic plus, Isoda HA 08 PSR IC`s, have had them for years, nice WBT connectors, Decware MiniTorii amplifier, TaraLabs Helix 6 speaker cables and custom Omega with 7" Alnico (cab is 32 liter). My room is about 5 meters by 8,5 meter, 2,5 m high. Speakers placed 2,5 meters apart, dont know if that is optimal, with a listening position 3 meters apart, BTW multiply meter by 3 to get feet. I have a Rega Planet CD player, but because of WIMP I dont really use it... Also have many GB of downloads on a harddisk if ever in need..
 No defacto roomtreatment, but furniture and bookshelfs makes it ok. Im working on optimal speakerplacement, the picture below i took the other day, and will not necessary be ideal or the way they will be placed later. . Im on the lookout for other speakercables, opimized for my combo.

I have to give a small comment about shopping from USA;  both Decware and Omega have been a true pleasure to do business with. Very helpfull, understanding, knowledgable and customerfriendly to a degree I neverhave  experienced before. Louis has been very patient with all my more or less ignorant questions.  Would also like to thank everyone in this forum for good answers and informative posts, in retrospect I realise that most of my questions have been answered once or twice in other topics, still; it is very nice to read your answers and questions, indeed I have learned a lot. In many cases its just interesting to hear what others have to say and getting to know their preferances.
I find it kind of cool that I have such unique speakers

Speakers came last friday (21 of march) and they have been used a lot! I was a little concerned about only 4 w per channel, but I have noticed that  I start listening maybe at 2/5 of full usable gain and usually turn in down after a while, this set up is meant for listening, not for partyparty. I also know that I have more than enough "power" if I ever want to wake up the neighbours. My impressions on how it sounds.. well this is difficult... especially in a foreign language. I would say it is very musical, it gives me an enormous pleasure to listen to both new and familiar music. Sound is very very detailed and engaging.  Fast and correct in every way I can notice and with no listening fatigue.  I found the sound to be very good out of the box, but when Im getting more and more hours on both the amp and speakers I guess I will only appriciate them more. Im not familiar with burn in so I dont know how they will develope.  I have noticed that my system sounds better after i have played for like 30 minutes, and even better after an hour, so warm up is a factor.  Some recordings I find to be suboptimal, and this setup is very revealing in those aspects.   Im glad there is a treble shunt on the MT that can take the edge of some recordings. The setup handles close to everything I have thrown at it. If any kind,  I would say laidback/soft acoustic and jazz excels, but I listen to a big variety of music and I havent found anything that sounds "off" or doesnt handle very nice
 Both male and female voices is very present, sounds really natural and full. Soundstage will be (even) better when speakerplacement is more optimal. Listening to Pink Floyd "new" sounds appears all over in my room, so... very nice. 

I have tried to take a few pictues to show my set up, but im not a photographer.. Maybe I`ll try again when Im pleased with speakerplacement and get a dedicated rack(?) to place components on.
For better pics of the speakers check out the News topic started by Louis a few weeks ago.
Have a nice day all of you,

« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2014, 01:57 pm by jorgen »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #33 on: 29 Mar 2014, 11:19 am »
Very nice Jorgen, thank you for the comments and pictures.  :thumb:

Lin

pstrisik

« Reply #34 on: 29 Mar 2014, 04:48 pm »
Hi Jorgen,

Congratulations!  Seeing yours makes my mouth water as they are similar to what mine will be.  I ordered in Zebrawood also and, seeing your photos, I am very happy about that choice!

I find (or believe) break-in to be a combination of equipment change and brain change.  Our perception adapts to the new sound over some time.  Drivers evidently do need some break-in time and that is a "real" phenomenon given their mechanical nature.  Electronics, on the other hand, (eg, capacitors, resistors, cables, even tubes, etc. - your new amp) are more controversial.  I believe more of the perceived change is in our own perceptual system, though could likely be some real change happening.  I don't bother with figuring out the distinction, go for some break-in time, and call it good.

Warm-up, in contrast, particularly with tube equipment, seems like a reasonable expectation.  Bringing equipment, especially tube equipment, up to operating temperature seems like a logical process to reach stability of the signal throughout its path.

So, glad you are enjoying and hope they become deeply satisfying as I hope for my own!   

I see you have a DAC Magic Plus.  I have a Stream Magic 6, which is a Cambridge Audio music streamer that has a DAC Magic Plus built into it.  I'm curious what you think of it.  I had tried several good quality DACs including a Bel Canto 2.5 and a Wyred 4 Sound DAC2, and have found the DAC Magic Plus to be noticeably superior, particularly in imaging.  That is likely due to the dual DAC chips for fully differential paths, though the Bel Canto also had that design.  In any case, I'm glad to be very satisfied with a reasonably priced DAC.  I think it is a hidden lower priced gem.

Also interesting to see your Norweigen home - thanks for inviting us in.  So our Scan Home stores are the real thing! 

........Peter

akis

« Reply #35 on: 29 Mar 2014, 07:54 pm »
Congrats, Awesome speakers ! Happy Listening !

seikosha

« Reply #36 on: 29 Mar 2014, 08:49 pm »
Jorgen, the room looks great.  Glad to see that you have finally been able to get your system put together.  I sure would love to hear how those speakers compare to the Super 3 XRS.  I've found that the 4 watts of the Mini Torii is more than enough and the 2 watt SE84 drives the Omegas very well.

Enjoy your new system!

beowulf

« Reply #37 on: 29 Mar 2014, 10:39 pm »
Wow, great looking setup and thanks for the impressions on the combination of Omega/Decware.  Your home is so cool too, I really love mid century modern style of design from both America and Scandinavia!

I'm thinking your critical listening area (sweet spot) is the black leather chairs ... if so, you may want to pull the speakers out (within reason of course) so they are past the sofa for a little better imaging.
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2014, 12:03 am by beowulf »

Guy 13

« Reply #38 on: 29 Mar 2014, 11:56 pm »
Hi Jorgen.
Wow, nice set up, I like it.
Omega full range drivers in a bass reflex enclosure with a Decware 4wpc.
I have a full range driver (7F) in a open baffle dipole configuration with a Decware SE84C+ 2 wpc and is more than enough for 99% of my music listening.
You've put together your system after only 20 posts on AC, that's fast and impressive.
Thanks for all the pictures, it gives us a good idea of your set up.
Enjoy your system, like I enjoy mine and thanks to Steve and Louis.

Guy 13 

jorgen

« Reply #39 on: 1 Apr 2014, 10:21 am »
hi all and thanks for all nice comments about setup and room. I have actually done everything myself, took me awhile but not to bad a result for a guy with no formal skills.

pstrisik
Glad you are happy with cambridge, this is my first dac so really Im not in a position to compare with any other. I bought it based on reviews and price, and I think the sound is good, but how another would be I dont reallt know.

Beowolf; thanks for the advise, im looking forward to getting longer speakercables som that I can experiment a little more, and I sure will try your suggestion. Probably I will end up with using something close to what is pictured, and with an alternative placement when able to be alone for some hours, the discs under the spikes makes the speakers easy to move around. Do not think my wife will accept the speakers to be placed in front of sofa, in everyday setup.