Ipod to amp to senn 600s- Proper volume setting?

kbuzz3

« on: 28 Aug 2004, 02:04 am »
Ive been fooling around with my ipod as a source to a woo audio tube headphone amp driving basic senn 600s.  I find the bass to be a little lacking but much improved when the volume on the ipod is turned up to say 80 percent max and la ower volume setting on the amp.

However, i do seem to get a little more distortion this way.  Is there any consensus on whether the general sound is better using a higher volume setting on the amp v. the ipod.

thanks all in advance for the opinions

Jon L

??
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2004, 03:49 am »
If you are able to change the volume with iPod's volume control, then you are not using iPod's line-out (which requires a iPod dock of some sort with line-out).  With line-out, your volume out of iPod is fixed, and line out is what your headphone amp is supposed to receive, not the headphone out.

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2004, 02:02 pm »
You need a G3 or G4 (third or fourth generation) iPod for the line out feature.

G1: The round thumbwheel actually spins.
G2: The round thumbwheel is touch sensitive and does not physically spin, the pause/play/etc. buttions are around the rim of the thumbwheel and are mechanical
G3: Same thumbwheel; four touch sensitive "buttons" on top of thumbwheel in a row
G4: The touch sensitive areas are in the thumbwheel.

The line out bypasses all amplification and will give you the best sound, as already described.

biz