I just got a cd called Portrait of Pee Wee on DCC Jazz. WOW!

LordCloud

Has anyone else heard of this cd or LP.  I picked it up from a used cd joint for a few bucks.  It is amazing.  I normally don't like music recorded like this, all or most of the instruments coming out of the speakers.  But this sounds just so warm and beautiful, and just, like music I love it.  I liked the Norah Jones cd but had to sell it because it was just too annoying to hear everything left and right, but this cd, man I gotta have more!  Just picked up another DCC Jazz title off of EBay, hope it sounds anywhere near this good.   :thumb:

jcoat007

« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2003, 02:58 pm »
I normally don't like music recorded like this, all or most of the instruments coming out of the speakers.

You might want to expand on exactly what you mean.

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2003, 03:52 pm »
I took it as he doesn't like a recording with little stereo imaging, all sound coming from both speakers at the same time, like a mono recording.

Then the NJ cd must have too much hard pan left and right stereo stuff going on.

I have to kind of agree.  I obviously don't like a "monoisc" recording, but I was listening to a cd last night with hard left and right and found it a bit annoying.  I don't understand the physics of it with phase and all, but I could feel a bit of pressure on my left ear and right ear as the sound moved back and forth.  I find stereo best with a solid center with certain instruments hard left or right.  When the sound stage moves it is nice to have it pass through the center instead of left OR right.

I think I'm rambling now so I will get back to work.....

LordCloud

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2003, 07:21 pm »
What I mean is that on all of my cds, the sound seems to come from the air inbetween and around the speakers and not directly from the speakers.  I don't like hard panned sounds, it reminds me that the music is speaker and not instrument created.  But this cd just sounds so good to me that it doesn't seem to matter.