Spatial M4 Triode Master - New Product Announcement

Spatial Audio

Spatial M4 Triode Master - New Product Announcement
« on: 17 Sep 2017, 10:10 pm »
The Triode Master version of the Spatial M4 is now in production. Its really a jewel and has all the sonic attributes of the M3 Triode in a smaller package, that is optimal for smaller listening rooms. The high efficiency, twin 12 inch design incorporates an easy electrical load and the same premium compression driver from the M3 Triode, operating in point source dipole. Wired with Duelund throughout and uses Clarity Caps in the crossover. It sounds far beyond anything you would expect at $2995 pr. Available in Red, White and Black colors. Let me know if you have any questions. The speaker is now available for order on our website.

Lose the box,

Clayton
www.spatialaudio.us

who?me?

Re: Spatial M4 Triode Master - New Product Announcement
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2017, 08:46 pm »
Hi Clayton
If the 12" cones on the M4 Triodes are made for "smaller rooms" than the 15" M3 Triodes,
then what would be the approximate difference in terms of room size for each?

Or what would be the approximate division in room size be for the 2 different models? (in terms of dimensions, square footage, OR  volume-cubed feet) for the two?
E.g., would you say that the M4Ts would be appropriate for a room smaller than 15'X15'?
And that otherwise, the M3Ts would be appropriate for a room larger than 15'x15'?

15x15=225 ft squared.
 Or are we measuring room size with ceiling height included? And this calculating room size in volume rather than square feet.

Clayton, what are the parameters for deciding if the M3s or M4s are best for a particular room size?
Thx

jpm

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2017, 08:56 pm »
Clayton, what are the parameters for deciding if the M3s or M4s are best for a particular room size?
Thx

Commentary on minimum suggested distance from boundary walls would be helpful as well.

Spatial Audio

« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2017, 04:08 pm »
In rooms where the width is less than 12 ft, I would use the M4. Larger rooms - the M3. I recommend the closest distance to the side wall to be 1 ft. and 3ft from the wall behind the speaker. You can fudge these distances and experiment, but that is the guideline. Its best to call me at 435-640-1294 to discuss the room specifics.

Clayton Shaw
SPATIAL AUDIO
www.spatialaudio.us

garypine

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2018, 10:57 pm »
I recently purchased a pair of Spatial M4 Triode Masters. I have been passionate about music and music reproduction for decades and have owned many speakers during that time. My budget has never allowed a “cost-is-no-object” speaker so I’ve necessarily gravitated to speakers that offer significant value and musicality for under $3000/pr. In that category are the Golden Ear Triton Fives and the KEF LS50, both of which I’ve owned. But I recently purchased a pair of Spatial M4 Triode Masters and they are in a different league altogether.

What makes this speaker a standout and separates it from the pack of speakers in this price range is its effortless dynamics and utterly convincing spatial rendering, localization, and tonal character of instruments, all accomplished with realistic scale. Music is unconstrained – no compression or congestion. Everything takes on a realistic snap and sparkle. For example, the buzz and birr of stringed instruments or how trumpets just rip the air as in live music. All this and more is beautifully conveyed.

Over and over, I marveled at how a speaker could be this explosive in its delivery but, at the same time, intimate, nuanced and intricately detailed. This amazing speaker delivers delicacy without edge, at any volume level. If desired, I can listen at high levels without cringing and fatiguing but the M4 also maintains this coherence even at low volume settings.

One last thing – and this is among the most important of the M4’s strengths. Because of its controlled directionality, it doesn’t interact with the room nearly as much as conventional speakers. This is a huge plus.

The only negative is that the M4, although it is capable exquisitely detailed bass, does not play the lowest octave of bass with authority. For that you’ll need to add a sub but blending is easy. Having said that, drums sound convincingly tympanic like a vibrating piece of skin and are rendered about as lifelike as I’ve ever heard.

Bottom line: a direct path to emotional connection with the music. Bravo, Clayton!

ric

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2018, 08:35 pm »
Hi, just wanted to comment on the controlled directivity. Because of such, I thought that I would not be needing/using my Shakti Hallowgraph DIY's that act as soundfield "adjusters" (my word, not theirs). Not so, as I find myself constantly toeing these in, out or directed at the listener depending on HOW they are recorded. Most, but not all of the time, orchestras want to be toed out for larger soundfield and in for ensemble work (jazz, chamber) but will vary. Sometimes the direct sound of the speakers can be a bit much for me, as I find myself wanting more ambience, again, depending on the recording. Just wanted to comment in this area, thanks!

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2018, 01:24 pm »
I've had Spatial M4 Triode Masters in my system for four months and want to post some impressions.  In my room and system they are the best I've had.  I agree with everything garypine said above and I can't articulate it as well as he did.  But I'd like to emphasize something he said, "they have effortless dynamics and utterly convincing spatial rendering".  And I will add their resolution, clarity, openness and bass control plus texture is outstanding.  While listening to my last speakers with a friend, then to M4 Triode Masters in the same session, we both immediately heard how much more lively they sounded.

Just for context, like garypine I've been passionate about music for decades, but didn't have a good system until 12 or more years ago.  Previous speakers were Vandersteen 3A Signatures with a pair of Belles 150a Reference set up as mono blocks.  Also a pair of Vandersteen 2Wq subs, which I used with all subsequent speakers except the M4 Triode Masters.  Coincident Super Eclipse IIIs which I used with a wide variety of tube amps.  Magnepan 1.7s then 3.7is with Sanders Magtech amp.  Those were very impressive but I started to realize they were not providing the sound stage depth I was previously hearing.  Then back to a tube amp and Tonian 12.1 S speakers which use the PHY H30 LB 15 full range 12" driver and ribbon super tweeter.  I loved those, musicality with clarity and a sound stage you could walk into.  These were the speakers my friend and I compared to the M4 Triode Masters, which had all of that but so much more dynamic and lively.  And they sound great at low levels as well as very loud.

Great job Clayton!

« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2018, 01:58 am by Hear Clifford Brown »

Shakeydeal

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2018, 04:51 pm »
So you don't feel the need for a sub with these?

Shakey

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2018, 07:23 pm »
I think if I was going to use only my tube amp, (Dennis Had Inspire, 17 watts when using KT-88s), then subs would be nice to reach the lowest octaves.  However a month ago I bought a used Odyssey Stratos Stereo Extreme, and the speakers REALLY came alive with that amp.  Including the bass response to the extent that I don't think subs would be needed.  I only had the Stratos for a week before I sent it to Klaus for a repair; the balanced inputs have a problem.  Since my DAC and preamp are true balanced, I prefer to use XLR interconnects, even though the Stratros is not true balanced design.
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2018, 03:39 pm by Hear Clifford Brown »

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2018, 07:31 pm »
BTW I never tried the Vandersteen 2Wq subs with the M4s based on a conversation with Clayton.  This is because the only way to use those subs is with an in-line high pass filter between the preamp and amp, which limits the frequency the main speakers see to 80Hz and above.  My recollection of what Clayton said is that high pass filtering the mains would mean there would be no open baffle bass, which I can confirm is one of the advantages of the Spatial speakers.  They should be run full range and if subs are used, they should be OB design.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2018, 07:36 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I have Danny's Super V and I know what you mean about OB bass. Once you hear it, no going back.

I like the idea of the M3 Triode Masters. But I would hate to have to give up my Line Magnetic SET.

Shakey

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2018, 07:51 pm »
I like the idea of the M3 Triode Masters. But I would hate to have to give up my Line Magnetic SET.

Maybe, maybe not. As for your Line Magnetic SET, I wish I had another TPA-3116 to give away. I gave my last one away to another AC member (Sumoking) to try on his Spatial Hologram M3ts, and it was enough to convince him to replace his treasured 300b with something Class D. Last summer I also replaced my Coincident SET with something Class D. And let's not forget about Rebbi, another AC member with a diehard passion for his 300B SET did the same thing.

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
My 2c on subwoofers for M4's
« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2018, 11:23 pm »
I've been using my M4's for 2 years now and I have experimented with subwoofers. I own a Vandersteen 2w, which is over 20 years old, still functioning. I think that the 2w provided a nice bass augmentation and it mated relatively well with my M4's because it's driver fire down into the floor and that effect worked in my relatively small room -12'x11'-.
The only issue was that it was only one sw, and there was no way that one would not notice it, in my room, that is. So I decided to build a pair of Ripole subwoofers using 12" Peerless drivers. And, there, I

am convinced by the implementation of stereo subwoofers. The mono implementation of the 2w was its drawback, and Mr. Vandersteen himself promulgates the use of stereo subwoofers. If I can get a photo here you will see one of them. I was planning to build another set, to have a pair of drivers push-pull in each channel but it looks like these Peerless drivers -12xls- have been discontinued. They bottom sometimes but in most cases they do their job, very musical, and the bass they produce, although not earthshaking, is very dynamic and "spatial", had to say that! For the crossover, still use the first order filter high pass at 80 hz I used for the 2w, - a cap in one of the preamplifier outputs- and for the sw, a Minidsp driving a Crown class D amplifier. Cross over is at 80 hz at 24db per octave and it is equalized to provide 6 db rise at 35 hz, still experimenting. And, still waiting on an offer by Spatial for a field triode master kit upgrade for my M4's.....

limits

Re: My 2c on subwoofers for M4's
« Reply #13 on: 1 Mar 2018, 11:50 pm »
 And, still waiting on an offer by Spatial for a field triode master kit upgrade for my M4's.....
[/quote]

What a great idea--would love this for my M3TS! :thumb: Shipping is the thing holding me back.

erniek

« Reply #14 on: 25 Mar 2018, 01:40 pm »
Has anyone had the Triode upgrade to their M4's actually done and is so how would you describe the differences. I am considering adding a super tweeter to mine but wonder if the Triode upgrade would accomplish some of the same thing.

StevenZ

« Reply #15 on: 30 Aug 2018, 12:18 am »
Can someone please confirm actual impedance of the M4 Triode Master? Don't see it listed on Spatial website.

Thanks,
Steven

JackD

« Reply #16 on: 30 Aug 2018, 12:24 am »
Should be 12 ohm just like the M3's.

StevenZ

« Reply #17 on: 30 Aug 2018, 12:26 am »
That's what I figured. Just hoping someone at Spatial can give an official answer.

Spatial Audio

« Reply #18 on: 30 Aug 2018, 01:47 am »
Should be 12 ohm just like the M3's.

That is correct -the nominal impedance is around 12 Ohms and the curve is quite linear, so it indicates low reactance. I will try to post the Z curve this weekend. I need to pull it up in a Windows laptop where it is stored.

Clayton

JackD

« Reply #19 on: 30 Aug 2018, 01:50 am »
Clayton

Any update on when or if we should be expecting reviews of the X2?