C-Channel braces aka "U-Channel" braces

Mike D

C-Channel braces aka "U-Channel" braces
« on: 11 Sep 2012, 04:09 pm »
has anyone put U-Channel or C-Channel braces from a hardware store on your older maggies?

I have been following Andyr's Ultimate upgrade path for my IIIAs.  Thank you again, Andy.

The path seems endless, maddening, and enjoyable at the same time.

The U-Channels are called C-Channels at Home Depot.  I bought them yesterday to add tonight.

They fit so very tightly that I am afraid I will have to remove the socks to install them on the sides, or risk tearing the socks as I put them over the fabric.  They will no doubt help a bit with bracing because I will need to use a rubber mallet to get them on.  I doubt they will make a big improvement, but it is an addiction.    :roll:

I'll spray paint them flat black to match the socks after I cut them to size. 

If you have added them, how did you do it?  Do you have any advice for me before I embark on this journey? 

andyr

Re: C-Channel braces aka "U-Channel" braces
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2012, 10:08 am »

has anyone put U-Channel or C-Channel braces from a hardware store on your older maggies?

I have been following Andyr's Ultimate upgrade path for my IIIAs.  Thank you again, Andy.

The U-Channels are called C-Channels at Home Depot.  I bought them yesterday to add tonight.

They fit so very tightly that I am afraid I will have to remove the socks to install them on the sides, or risk tearing the socks as I put them over the fabric.  They will no doubt help a bit with bracing because I will need to use a rubber mallet to get them on.  I doubt they will make a big improvement, but it is an addiction.    :roll:

I'll spray paint them flat black to match the socks after I cut them to size. 

If you have added them, how did you do it?  Do you have any advice for me before I embark on this journey?

Hehe - yes, Mike, I suggest you should:
a) remove the socks, and
b) not only 'mallet' them onto the sides ... but put a line of builder's glue in the bottom of the U/C, so that they are glued on.

You will hear a major improvement (from the resulting stiffness you add to the MDF frame).  However, you will get an even bigger improvement if you replace the MDF frame with a hardwood frame.  :D

Good luck,

Andy