Harman Kardon F500X Tuner

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Harman Kardon F500X Tuner
« on: 20 Nov 2010, 04:39 pm »
A buddy of mine is generously giving me a Harman Kardon F500X tuner but I don't know much about this model.
Does anyone have any experience with this one?

orthobiz

Re: Harman Kardon F500X Tuner
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2010, 01:26 am »
This is the tuner we had at home when I was growing up. I loved it, had a little purple light, maybe the on off switch? I spent hours staring at the dial, tuning various NYC stations. "the award series"

Paul

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2010, 01:45 am »
Here's how it sits right now awaiting shipping. 

I mentioned that it looks like it's built like a tank and I'm told that it weighs about as much as one, too.

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:16 am »
That's the one! I'm jealous, show us more pics when it arrives.

Paul

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:22 am »
nice - here's a site with more pics    http://www.vintage-tuner.com/files2/harman-kardon.htm

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:26 am »
PS - here's a site for manuals/schematics if interested - http://www.tubemanuals.com/Products.php?P_Type=HARMAN%20KARDON

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2010, 01:04 am »
Phil,
Thanks for the links - I'm told that it's coming with the manuals and two dozen tubes.  I'm really excited about getting this and I should see it next week if all goes well.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #7 on: 28 Nov 2010, 03:17 am »
LUCKEEEEEE!!!!!!! :thumb: Hope it sounds as cool as it looks.  :dance:

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2010, 03:55 am »
There are also people who do mods/upgrades to old tuners.  I have an old Sansui TU-717 analog tuner and it has mods done by Joseph Chow (there are others too).  I didn't go full out on mods since I don't use it tons, but it made a nice improvement.  Here's some info:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/dad.pl?misctunr&1292425763

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 5 Dec 2010, 12:10 am »
I did need to order a manual after all as the one that came with it was for the F500, not the 500X.
Here's one odd thing: someone replaced a 9 pin socket for a 12AX7 ECC83 with a 7 pin connector (see crude circle in photo) and then they tried to obliterate the tube designation lettering on the chassis.
I wonder why they did that?

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 5 Dec 2010, 12:42 am »
Don't know why.  Don't know if you have seen this site - http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/tubetuners.html

They have lots of tuner info.  It helped me decide on what I wanted to get.  I ended up with a modded Sansui TU-717

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 5 Dec 2010, 12:58 am »
I stumbled upon that site a good 10-15 years ago when someone (that would be me) blew up my receiver.
I believe that Sansui was near the top of their tuner shootouts, yes?  I read every single one when I was recuperating from sinus surgery!
I always shied away from the tube tuners until DougS here pushed me over the edge.  Now I have 5 of the things and I'm not quite sure how that happened but I wish that they would please stop showing up on my doorstep.

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 5 Dec 2010, 01:09 am »
The Sansui TU-717 came out number 17 on the Shootout.  I had it modded (Joseph Chow).  Sounds really good.  I wanted something good but since it is not something that will see a ton of use I also didn't want to go nuts.  For laughs I also have the output of it going through a Carver C-9 Sonic Holography unit.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2010, 01:17 am »
On the right material and with the proper set up that C9 can be pretty impressive.  I used to have one but it finally made its way back to eBay.  I did like it a lot with movies.
You know what you might want to try is a good tube buffer instead of the C9.  RichP over at thecarversite (all one word) made some up and put one out on a road show and it made my Carver TX-11a sound really good - it took the edge off of it if you know what I mean.

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 5 Dec 2010, 03:22 am »
I might try it down the road although the tuner sounds really good and very analog.  I owned the C9 many moons ago when it was new and bought a couple probably 10-11 years back.  I keep the second one on the analog outs of a LD in the secondary basement system.  I had it connected to the analog outs of a LD player in the main system but use the LD players very infrequently at this point

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #15 on: 14 Dec 2010, 07:46 pm »
steve, i'd love to hear your impressions of the tubed hk when you get it up and running.  while i understand having more tunas than inputs on my preamp,  :wink:  i have never heard an hk tuber.  and, i really should, as one of my all time fave tunas is my modded refurb'd s/s hk citation 18. 

doug s.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:23 am »
Will do.
I got the repair estimate from the shop and they said $175-200 to bring it back from the dead so I should be picking it up right after Christmas.
I suspect that this model might be a bit of a sleeper but suffers from reliability problems as I've seen quite a few dead ones up for sale but only one semi-functioning one (it's on CraigsList right now in the Northern NJ area).
I guess I'll find out shortly.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #17 on: 16 Dec 2010, 06:35 am »
Will do.
I got the repair estimate from the shop and they said $175-200 to bring it back from the dead so I should be picking it up right after Christmas.
I suspect that this model might be a bit of a sleeper but suffers from reliability problems as I've seen quite a few dead ones up for sale but only one semi-functioning one (it's on CraigsList right now in the Northern NJ area).
I guess I'll find out shortly.
cool!  some day, i hope to find a nice citation lllx w/o having to spend an arm & a leg.  these used to be relatively reasonable, but i think the word is getting out on the hk tubers...  lllx has the same issues tho - they usually need a bit of service...  not unusual, actually, for any 40-60 year old tubed equipment, me-thinks.  and especially tunas, which are a lot more complicated than a simple amp or preamp...

doug s.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 23 Dec 2010, 01:09 am »
It lives once again thanks to the fellows at RT Grim in Camp Hill, PA.  They do nice work.
I'll post some pictures in a day or two but sensitivity is much better than my Sherwood S3000-III which was just serviced and the sound quality is really good. 
Just looking at the build quality I suspected that would be the case.
This is a nice piece which has taken pride of place in the downstairs sytem.
Highly recommended.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 24 Dec 2010, 12:37 pm »

« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2010, 02:33 pm by SteveFord »