Grover SX (Latest Aluminum Version) IC's & Speaker Cables - Giant Killers

Philistine

There's nothing more tedious than comparing cables, I avoid it like the plague.  This was until the end of last year when I was sent demo pairs of highly regarded IC's and speaker cables, these cables were so good in that they completely transformed my listening in terms of openness, transparency and overall ability to put you live in the recording studio.  These cables were so different to anything else I'd heard they hit you across the back of your head, in terms of musicality, I just had to have them, the downside was a list price of $3,000 for 2 pairs of IC's and a 6ft speaker cable run.  I put the purchase on hold until my liquidity situation improved.  Then, before the demo cables went back, another AC member coerced me into trying Grover Hufmann's latest SX ribbon cables with aluminum, silver and copper conductors.

I gave Grover a call and he sent out his personal set of cables, they arrived in time for me to do an AB comparison with the high end exotic cables.  My expectation level was not particularly high, on putting them in my system I was completely shocked that they totally outperformed the expensive cables.  Outperformed them in terms of overall transparency, high frequency extension, a tighter, deeper bass and cost.

Grover is an interesting and fun guy to deal with, his objective is to make the best cables out there using his novel technology.  As a supplier to cable manufacturers I know the industry cost structure very well, and it's refreshing to find someone who doesn't buy in cable and add a fancy sheathing.  Grover has taken a different approach with his hand made, patented, multi-conductor ribbons and air dielectric.  With his 60 day return policy his cables are a risk free option, I would encourage anyone who wants to extract the best from their system to give Grover a call.

http://www.groverhuffman.com/home

My AudioCircle System:
Modwright Transporter
Modwright 36.5 Linestage
Modwright KWA 500's (run as monoblocks)
Salk HT3's

Any questions please send a pm and I'll do my best to answer.

« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2010, 12:14 am by Philistine »

shep

Re: Grover SX (Latest Aluminum Version) IC's & Speaker Cables
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2010, 07:42 pm »
As an owner of these latest versions, I can concur with this recommendation.
Very good value for the money!

Frank S.

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2010, 01:29 am »
Thanks for the post Philistine. I'll be trying out a 2 meter pair of XLR interconnects against my Audioquest Panther. Looking forward to the results. Did you use the XLR or RCA version in your system?

Philistine

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2010, 02:00 am »
Thanks for the post Philistine. I'll be trying out a 2 meter pair of XLR interconnects against my Audioquest Panther. Looking forward to the results. Did you use the XLR or RCA version in your system?

The Transporter to 36.5 is not balanced, I have both RCA and XLR versions for this and both perform the same.  The 36.5 to KWA's is balanced and here I use XLR's.

santacore

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2010, 04:56 am »
It's nice to see Grover getting some respect. I have been using his cables off and on for a few years. Overall I think they are excellent. I've never owned mega buck cables, but they hang with others I've tried in the sub $500 category.

I just got my IC's back that were upgraded to the latest build and they are sounding great. I should be getting my speaker cables back next week, and can't wait to hear those.

Grover makes great cables at real world prices, and in my experience his customer service is top notch. I encourage other AC'ers to give his cables a try, I think you'll be pleased.

owenmd

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2010, 05:47 pm »
I previously posted a positive review on Grovers SX interconnects.  Having said that.... if I don't like like a cable or component, I don't bother posting negative reviews.... and there's been dozens that fell into this category.... primarily "A" classed, highly rated and reviewed hype components.  Not sure if its system synergy, folks just having wildly different expectations, ears and experience, or politics and personal biases.... probably a combination of all...?

I also try to buy from folks that I can establish at least some level of inter-personal relationship with, as I find this an enjoyable aspect of this crazy hobby..... another reason I won't go negative or publicly compare equipment as I don't enjoy ridiculing folks I like.

Anyway.... I find much of the gear "out there" disappointing, especially considering the ridiculous costs involved sometimes.  I've got so tired of the hifi merry-go-round over the years that I've sold everything and started again a couple of times after a break.  The last time I did this, I decided to simplify and be done with it and just get off the ride.... Grovers latest cables were an important contributor to me being able to do this.  I have no idea whether they "are" or even "come close" to being the best cables you can buy given all the variables involved.... however, they are certainly better than anything else I've had in my system overall, or heard in comparison.... regardless of "real-world" cost  and have simply given me the "gift" of not needing to constantly try something else anymore.

After using the interconnects for some time now, I finally got round to buying some of the latest speaker cables off Grover a few months ago and was likewise, not disappointed.... again, they are easily good enough to stop me looking anymore.... especially given the ridiculous prices of universally regarded "great cables" that many folks feel a need to go after.

As Phil said.... these are completely hand-made cables built with love.... not re-sheathed "off-the-shelf" wire.

Thank you Grover for letting me stop thinking about cables anymore.   :D

Philistine

I've just modified the thread title to include the words - Giant Killers.  I consider that the current SX version are a great example of a David vs Goliath, and represent superior musical performance. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I've just modified the thread title to include the words - Giant Killers.  I consider that the current SX version are a great example of a David vs Goliath, and represent superior musical performance.

Might have to consider listening to them in the near future.

Thanks Phil.

George

rlmacklin

In the fall I had a chance to home demo a full set of JPS SuperConductor 3 ICs in my multichannel system and a single pair of JPS SC3 speaker cables to front left and right speakers for a few weeks.  I found the JPS SC3 to be very "beautiful" and even "beguiling."   
I got one pair Grover SX non-teflon dielectric w/aluminum incoroporated speaker cables and the first 2 pairs Grover SX w/Al and non-teflon dielectric
ICs just in time for a one-weekend overlap while the JPS SC3 speaker cables and ICs were still on hand. 
I initally found the Grover SX w/Aluminum to be sonically "competetive" with the JPS (and much more affordable).
In comparison I found the JPS SC3s to sound too "sweet" (beyond natural) in my system to my ears.
I sent the JPS SC3 set back on that Monday morning.

Below is my December Audio Nervosa post re Grover SX w/Al and non-teflon dielectric ICs and speaker cables:

" rlmacklin
Certifiable

Re: Grover SX?
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2009, 09:46:50 AM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After placing my order for "upgrade" to Grover SX I asked Grover and he confirmed that he did have examples of his previous cable versions on hand.  I discussed with Grover by phone and e-mail my impressions on previous Grover IC versions up through Grover "SC" and "SCdot" and even particularly highlighted what I felt was pretty much an overall consensus that the Grover (S) "graphites" had exhibited the most "edge" or "grain" of all his designs and that the Grover (S) white/white were perhaps liked the best (detailed yet balanced frequency-wise and with perhaps the least edge or grain).
Grover acknowledged that some iterations could have been sideways moves or even a step backwards in some areas.

Grover sent me 2 pr. Grover SX with non-teflon dielectric and aluminum incorporated for audition.
These were very good and for first time I felt this particular version of Grover SX were if anything a tad on the "musical" side of the detail vs. musicality "knife edge" and might could be further tweaked to regain a bit more detail and extension while still remaining sufficiently "musical."  I conveyed my impressions to Grover.

On November 14 Grover e-mailed "...Sorry for the delay, I changed the Sx again so you'll be getting even better cables. ..."

On December 4, I finally received my order of 6 pairs 1-meter and 2.5 pairs 2-meter Grover SX ICs w/ RCAs. These are, as I asked for, an apparently "finalized" version with non-teflon dielectric and incorporating aluminum.
Grover's e-mail said "...these new cables are much more labor intensive. The good news is I don't plan any changes. "
These ICs were installed in my system and have been in use probably 6-8 hours per day since late on December 4. 
I find these to be "neutral" in frequency balance (very well balanced top-to-bottom) and to convey more detail and to be slightly more extended in the treble and with great bass definition, while still remaining musical to my ears in my system.
My impression is these also provide a stronger signal but with no increase in noise level.

In combination with the Grover SX speaker cables (with non-teflon dielectric and aluminum incorporated), I find the current Grover SX ICs to provide an excellent balance of detail and musicality and to be an excellent value. "

With further time using the IsoTek CD Enhancer disc and more listening to music time, I find the Grover SX w/ Al ICs and speaker cables to be very special indeed. 
An added bonus to going with the Grovers over the JPS is being able to afford full multichannel IC set upgrade
and an Oppo BDP-83SE now at ModWright for "Full Multi-Channel Mod with Master Clock upgrade" (in process).
I feel that the Grover SX w/Al will allow me to hear the full potential of the new universal player upon its arrival... :drool:

rockadanny

owenmd - I read your post several times but failed to comprehend. My eyes could not stay focused on your text for some reason. Kept veering left. :scratch:

owenmd

Don't worry, you're perfectly normal (whatever that is?).... its actually just a conspiracy so I don't have to be intelligible.... seems to work...?   :eyebrows:

Forget the waffling.... the latest cables are pretty darn good and worth a try IMHO...!

owenmd - I read your post several times but failed to comprehend. My eyes could not stay focused on your text for some reason. Kept veering left. :scratch: