Levitator Story

Danny Richie

Levitator Story
« on: 26 Nov 2003, 04:49 pm »
A great story and a must share...

I had a lot of people over the day before the Texas DIY event to hear the big line sources that have been designed for Epiphany Audio including the owner and others involved in Epiphany Audio.

We had some big amps on these things and at one point decided to air them out on some Blue Man Group and see how hard they could really hit.

The matching sub for these uses two 18" woofers in a sealed box that is a 2' cube. The transform circuit keeps them flat to 20Hz and the amps would output 750 watts of power.

My single 12" sub that was previous in its spot back behind the speakers on the rear wall was moved to make room for the big sub. It was moved across the room about 18 feet away and placed at the end of the couch where Gary Dodd decided to sit on it.

Then we put in some Blue Man Group.

What was really a bummer was that when we really cranked it up on the first track, and the really big drum at the end was pounded, it made the CD played skip badly.

I had never heard that player skip before.

I was using the Rega Planet as a transport with an Ack dAck sitting on top of it.

The Planet has some pretty nice feet on it (really soft and gushy).

It was setting on Lovan Sovereign racks that had Isopoints (three spikes) on all the legs from shelf to shelf.

Along the back wall, where the stand was placed, there are four large tube traps that are 16" thick and filled with foam wedges.

There was a tube trap on either side of the rack and on either side of the sub, plus a 50" Pioneer big screen between them.

Then there is multi layers of 1" thick open cell foam all cross the back wall that overlap.

So it wasn't like the sub was firing right into it or something.

Hearing the player skip was a big bummer. We really wanted to hear max impact.

So I said to Gary, go get one of those Levitators out of the car and lets see what it will do. he had brought some up for the show.

Gary seamed to think it wasn't going to control that kind of impact, and no one else did either, including myself, but I though it worth a try.

So Gary brought one in and we set it under the CD player.

Back to our places we tried it again.

No skips, not one beat. Pressure levels were unbelievable but no skips.

Lows were hitting so hard that at one point Gary got every ones attention to look at the 12" sub that he was sitting on. That little 12" woofer was hitting about 1/3 of its X-max from the pressure in the room.

As someone screamed out "is that plugged in?" Gary waved the power cord in his hand showing that it was by no means on.

That is how hard the system was hitting.

We then cranked it up to really scary levels for several sections of different tracks. All was clean and clear and loading the room like I had ever heard.

I always knew the Levitator worked really well in isolating out vibrations and in some systems even using low level signals an audible difference was clearly noticed.

But I couldn't believe it could do what it did. The whole room full of people was all really impressed. I was too.

Thumbs up to Gary Dodd for a great product.  :thumb:  I'll never not have one in my system now.

audiojerry

Levitator Story
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2003, 08:52 pm »
I'm putting this on my Xmas list!  :P

Andrikos

Levitator Story
« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2003, 09:49 pm »
Wow! Very impressive story.

note to myself:
add levitator to my ever growing list! :)

wshuff

Levitator Story
« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2003, 05:48 pm »
Hey, any more info or pics of the speakers that caused all the havoc?

Danny Richie

Big speakers
« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2003, 08:07 pm »
I can send some pics to you via e-mail if you like.

wshuff

Levitator Story
« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2003, 09:17 pm »
Cool!  

You can access my email from the email button under my post.

Danny Richie

Levitator
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2004, 04:07 pm »
I received this in an e-mail today and thought I would share it in this thread.

This guy purchased a Levitator from us earler this week.

additional_info = Just installed the Levitator I ordered from you.  WOW!  I was hoping to decrease microphony from the NOS tubes I recently rolled into my Sonic Frontiers preamp (which did happen) but was not prepared for the overall improvements in noisefloor nor soundstaging I am experiencing.  This Mr Dodd is a damn genius!  Guess I'll be ordering some more of these babies for my Theta transport and my turntable.  Does he make a tube amp capable of driving Apogee Divas?  Is there a way to contact him?  Thanks.