Going all in on Streaming

Gumby

Going all in on Streaming
« on: 6 Nov 2019, 03:16 am »
I want to go all in on Streaming and make it my main Source.

Currently use Bluesound Node 2i as Streamer and Chord Mojo as Dac.

Looking to upgrade to Bryston BDP and BDA.   I read that some of you use Qobuz through the bdp. How do you do that in Canada if it’s not available yet?    I’m not yet into downloading HD files , and don’t know if I ever will.  Is the BDP overkill for just streaming?

Should I instead stream from Mac/iPad with USB to BDA?   Or I can output the bluesound stream to the BDA.

Would love to read experiences going from LP, CD, to Streaming as main Source. 

bud1451

Re: Going all in on Streaming
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2019, 03:22 am »
BDA 3.14

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2019, 01:07 pm »
I've been primarily streaming since Tidal came out.  Started out using a MacBook Air via 10ft USB cable to a couple of nice DACs.  Could tell no difference versus CDs ripped to iTunes.  Now use a NAD M10 "streaming amplifier" ($2750 MSRP) which is a throughly modern and compact one piece solution.  Ripped CDs that I couldn't find on Tidal were copied to a flash drive which plugs into the M10.  The M10 is very flexible (does Qobuz), easy to use, and provides the best sound (100 wpc) I've ever had.  Plus it got me off the computer audio world of complexity, confusion, and glitches. 

The Node is a wonderful mid-fi product but a couple of significant sonic/feature steps behind the M10 or Bryston gear.  A less expensive step up from the Node, but step down from the M10, is the NAD C658 ($1650 MSRP) streamer/preamp which is described as a Node on steroids.  Either would keep you in the BluSound interface.  The M10 only needs wall power and two speaker cables for wiring and has a large/clear touch screen (no buttons/knobs).  It can also be controlled via Android, iPhone, Windows, or Mac, very elegant. 

TJ-Sully

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2019, 06:48 pm »
I want to go all in on Streaming and make it my main Source.
way to go man - I'm doing the same thing

Currently use Bluesound Node 2i as Streamer and Chord Mojo as Dac. Looking to upgrade to Bryston BDP and BDA.   I read that some of you use Qobuz through the bdp. How do you do that in Canada if it’s not available yet?    I’m not yet into downloading HD files , and don’t know if I ever will.  Is the BDP overkill for just streaming?

what are you looking for in an upgrade? what type of differences are you looking for?
the BDA's are amazing DACs and offer super clean, detailed and transparent sound. if you're interested in more lush or warm tones, you might want to consider other products or move up the Chord line. I had the BDA2 for years and loved it.

as for the BDP - it is a strong performer and never fails.  from a functionality perspective it probably offers more than you need, based on your comments - but I think it's a great way to go because it offers flexibility over time if your format change (eg. HD connectivity, NAS, etc). And you can pick up a used BDP1 for a good price these days..

You can use the BDP to stream directly from Tidal. I am also in Canada and have not figured out how to integrate Quboz - and don't believe it is available in Canada, period.   Would love to learn otherwise, as it's supposed to sound better than Tidal

Should I instead stream from Mac/iPad with USB to BDA?   Or I can output the bluesound stream to the BDA.

I would suggest removing your computer from the equation as much as possible due to inherent noise.  You can use the BDP's software to control song selection in Tidal through an App on your mobile device or tablet.  and the BDA offers a range of input options, so I would think your Bluesound streamer should connect easily. That might be a good place to start..with the DAC upgrade.

Would love to read experiences going from LP, CD, to Streaming as main Source.

I am using streaming services 80-90% of the time - due to the seemingly endless access to new music. but, admittedly, it comes with a degree of SQ loss compared to CD"s, ripped music or High Res downloads.  Some would argue vinyl remains king, but I am not one of those....as much as I'd like to be.   Limited dynamic range is what gets me the most...