BDP-3 HDMI Question

Rod_S

BDP-3 HDMI Question
« on: 23 Nov 2023, 06:13 pm »
Hello,

I have a question regarding the HDMI capabilities of the BDP-3. I see in the manual, like the S/PDIF and AES/EBU inputs it supports up to 192/24 and unlike those it also supports DSD-64. What version is the HDMI implementation? It must be at least 1.2 because that's when support for DSD was added. I ask because I see that the USB specs beat it out by supporting 384/32 and DSD-128. Would bumping up to a more recent HDMI version (if a BDP-4 were ever to be released) allow the unit to match or exceed the BDP's current USB capabilities i.e. getting to DSD-256 (I realize a BDP-4 would also allow for the upgrade of USB spec as well)? HDMI version 1.0 actually supported 8 channels of 192/24 audio so I'm thinking HDMI 2.0 (perhaps even older versions, 1.3 or 1.4) would be capable of 384/32 and DSD-256.

Is Bryston still offering the BDP-2 to BDP-3 upgrade? The BDP-3 has been around for a while, launched in early 2017?? so that's almost 7 years old, any plans for an upgrade? The original BDP-1 was launched in 2011 and the BDP-2 in 2013 according to a Stereophile article so only 2 years between those and 4 years between the 2 and 3. Must be soon time for a hardware update :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-3 HDMI Question
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2023, 09:00 pm »
Hi Rod

We are not looking at any changes currently in our Digital offerings as this race to higher and higher sample rates makes no sense to us.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2023, 01:17 am »
I certainly understand about not wanting to chase the ever higher and higher audio file resolutions that seem to be trying to keep up with the ever higher and higher DAC specifications. However it would be nice to be able to allow HDMI to pass along at least what can be done via USB just because USB audio inputs are an incredibly niche item for SSP's but all SSP's have HDMI inputs so it would be nice to have those resolutions i.e. 384/32 and DSD-128 be available to all SSP's as well via HDMI.

I know my BDP-2 recognizes multi-channel audio files as it properly identifies channel counts but as I only have S/PDIF and AES/EBU inputs on my SSP I'm not able to test if multi-channel is output from the BDP. I'm not sure if USB supports multi-channel audio however HDMI certainly does so HDMI would have the ability if the BDP's are programmed to output the data.

And about the BDP-2 to BDP-3 upgrade, is that still being offered?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2023, 03:30 am »
Not sure on the upgrade question as parts are an issue.  I will ask.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2023, 06:03 pm »
Were you able to find out if the parts are still available?

If the parts aren't available, what was different in these parts vs what's actually in the BDP-3, assuming you're still selling the BDP-3? It's still on the Bryston website. If it has been discontinued then it would make sense that parts required for the upgrade wouldn't necessarily be available.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2023, 06:27 pm »
They may be able to get parts for you - email Adam on this - atanner@bryston.com

scottm_dj

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2024, 02:20 pm »
HDMI version 1.0 actually supported 8 channels of 192/24 audio so I'm thinking HDMI 2.0 (perhaps even older versions, 1.3 or 1.4) would be capable of 384/32 and DSD-256.

I'm sure the output is 1.4 to match with what on the BDA 3--which can handle full high resolution audio   But unlike the BDA 3, the outut  I'm pretty sure the BDP is Audio only. You probably know you can only send DSD through USB or HDMI--no coaxial or optical due to copy protection.    I agree with Bryson's assessment of the pretty ridiculous "sample rate race" . How much material is actually in 512D/768P and above anyway?  And converting say a FLAC file to 1024 DSD is just going to sound strange.   I'd much rather use something like MW's new Analog Bridge to tube -tweak the output at its native resolution.