Downsizing Nightmare

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
Downsizing Nightmare
« on: 27 Jan 2023, 04:02 pm »
I awoke from last night's nightmare: My wife thought it would be a good idea to downsize our stereo system, and purchased a mid-fi surround system from someplace like a Circuit City or a Best Buy. I'm still in shock. :o

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
Re: Downsizing Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2023, 04:17 pm »
Downsizing has its benefits:

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2023, 04:23 pm »
I have a similar (waking) one. My family is moving me to 'the home', and looks at my system, with its dearth of knobs, buttons, bells and whistles and feels sorry for me. They decide to sell it and get a 'good one' with all those "knobs, buttons, bells and whistles". A "REALLY good, expensive" one - almost $500.

VinceT

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2023, 07:30 pm »
I have a similar (waking) one. My family is moving me to 'the home', and looks at my system, with its dearth of knobs, buttons, bells and whistles and feels sorry for me. They decide to sell it and get a 'good one' with all those "knobs, buttons, bells and whistles". A "REALLY good, expensive" one - almost $500.

I'm not a headphone guy, but perhaps you can talk a family member into helping you sell your current rig and get into a nice compact headphone system and still have something nice to listen to. Best of luck to you!

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2023, 08:12 pm »
Not actually ready to move to 'the home', but I'm 76 and I figure it's just a matter of time. With Frank's SET 120 control amp, a DAC, a good set of speakers and a Grado 225x I'm set. I just need to convince folks to let make take it with me.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2023, 01:40 am »
Tone, Scroof's making a good point. I like everything I see in that pic. :inlove:

And, hang in there parker, you can take that SET 120 with you when it comes time. Hopefully not in the near future. :)

-Dieter

Bemopti123

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2023, 02:16 am »
I say, to all those people looking at their family making a decision for them... be like my mom, who has somewhat of a hoarding behavior towards almost everything but not quite like the A&E miniseries protagonists....  "When I am gone, do whatever you please, until then, leave my S---t alone!"

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2023, 01:19 pm »
Headphones worked for me in the college dorms, but you could be proactive and look into downsizing on your own.  Suggest Buchardt A500 active monitors that have DAC's and room correction DSP built-in, just add their streaming hub. 

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2023, 04:59 am »
Let me remind you that the nightmare I referred to was a dream, not in real life, yet...

Rocket

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2023, 12:42 pm »
Hi,

I don't have a downsize story, exactly, but I did buy a pair of really nice pair of Eddie Evokes for about 1k usd in mint condition.

https://www.stereonet.com/forums/topic/532942-fs-evoke-eddie-standmount-loudspeakers-further-price-drop-150000-not-including-shipping-at-this-price/

Apparently, his wife didn't like the size of them and after he kept dropping the price I decided to buy them at a bargain price.  I did suggest that he leaves his wife and keeps the speakers.  I guess that is why I'm single lol.

Cheers Rod