KEF LS50 wireless as desktop solution?

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
KEF LS50 wireless as desktop solution?
« on: 10 Jun 2018, 11:16 pm »
Mods didn’t know where else to put this: anyone using the aforementioned in a near field desktop configuration?

OzarkTom

Re: KEF LS50 wireless as desktop solution?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2018, 01:29 am »

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2018, 01:59 am »
Hey Now,

I just got a pair of LS-50W today and all I can say is that they are fantastic. I wanted an all in one solution with multiple inputs and this is it! Roon + LS-50W via ethernet is just great sounding (upsampling to 192KHz). Easy set up with phone app. There are so many positive reviews on these speakers and as far as I can tell, they are true.  I am not using them in a desktop set-up, but in a 12'x12' room set-up diagonally with them about 5' apart, about 16" from the walls and me sitting about 6' back. I do not need a sub, surprising bass out of these speakers. Just great. Real happy with them.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

envydd

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2018, 04:54 am »
I think the ls50w would be a great system if you get a good copy. When I was deciding between the actives and the passives I read a lot of negative reviews about the stability and lots of people were and are selling them after their speakers got repaired by kef. That spooked me. I went to a dealer and auditioned the two and the he made the passives sound a bit better when he connected a Parasound amp/pre. But the system price was more than the cost of the actives. He claimed that he can’t sell me anything that would come remotely close, for the price of the actives.

Decided to get the passives due to the 5yr warranty and the Need to connect many optical and rca.  I started off with my Yamaha receiver but the sound was warm but a little muddy. Then I switched to a NuPrime 200w class D and those speakers started singing. I love the sound and the looks. Blends well.

For a desktop I would happily buy the actives and get an extended warranty. Kef should have backed this by a 3yr at least. My hope is to pick an active pair at some point. I like the ls50 more that the R series bookshelves. Caveat: for a desktop you could buy the Q100 and a decent amp for 1/4the the price of a ls50w and get 80pc of the sound. 

Hope this helps!

A_shah

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2018, 05:53 am »
Mods didn’t know where else to put this: anyone using the aforementioned in a near field desktop configuration?

You will not go wrong with it the Kef LS50W  I have them on my Desktop system for over a year and I also own a pair of passive LS50, that now do  duty  In home theater , as cheaper option you my want to audition the Audioengine HD6 which are also suburb as desktop or TV speakers  :thumb:
Note: I  do not have my Kef's on the Desk( to big) but on 24" Pangea steel stands
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2018, 05:42 pm by A_shah »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2018, 10:29 am »
If your desktop is big enough, then the LS50W could be ideal: active, coincidental design; built-in DAC to save space.

Mike-48

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2018, 12:22 am »
Hello, Matthew --  I can't say if you will like them, but I found the (passive) LS50's far too brash when used as desktop monitors. I have heard the LS50s also at more normal listening distances and liked them a little better, but I still did not find them as natural sounding as the Harbeth P3ESR (which I am now using as desktop speakers).

The passive LS50s have a somewhat peaky high-frequency response that some of us find irritating; others do not. I don't know if the actives are different, nor do I know your tastes.

So do try to get a home audition before you pull the trigger!

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2018, 12:39 am »
Hello, Matthew --  I can't say if you will like them, but I found the (passive) LS50's far too brash when used as desktop monitors. I have heard the LS50s also at more normal listening distances and liked them a little better, but I still did not find them as natural sounding as the Harbeth P3ESR (which I am now using as desktop speakers).

The passive LS50s have a somewhat peaky high-frequency response that some of us find irritating; others do not. I don't know if the actives are different, nor do I know your tastes.

So do try to get a home audition before you pull the trigger!

Mike you been hangin' with Paul McGowan?  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg5J3j_ANDU

OzarkTom

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2018, 12:49 am »
Someone on Acoustat Facebook said his Acoustat 1+1's were much better SQ than his KEFLS50 wireless. But Acoustats are not desktop. :nono:

Mike-48

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2018, 02:31 am »
Mike you been hangin' with Paul McGowan?  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg5J3j_ANDU
Double, Thanks for the link! I didn't know McGowan liked them ... but obviously I think he's right. They are some of the least "hi-fi" sounding speakers I've heard.

I got my pair used and drive them with a Marsh A400s amp, also used. A great combination! I think to do as well with amplification, one would have to go to something like a Parasound A-21. The only drawback is that Marsh is no longer in business.
OK, now I'm getting off topic....