New HT1-TL design to be launched at RMAF

jsalk

Re: New HT1-TL design to be launched at RMAF
« Reply #20 on: 21 Oct 2009, 06:32 pm »
Ron -

Jim,

Any more info available on these speakers?? Will they be added to the website soon?

Ron

We are already building pairs for customers.  I just returned a few days ago from RMAF and Oregon and haven't had time to put them on our web site.  I am hoping to do that this coming week-end.

In the mean time, if you have specific questions about the design, please feel free to fire away!

- Jim

Rocket

« Reply #21 on: 22 Oct 2009, 11:36 am »
Hi Jim,

I'm just curious to know how much the new ht1 tl speakers are selling for?

Thanks

Rod

jsalk

« Reply #22 on: 22 Oct 2009, 12:54 pm »
Hi Jim,

I'm just curious to know how much the new ht1 tl speakers are selling for?

Thanks

Rod

Rod -

Pricing with a standard veneer is $2995 per pair.

- Jim

deeng

« Reply #23 on: 22 Oct 2009, 02:20 pm »
Earlier in this thread Dennis commented on changes to the crossover between the sealed and TL versions....  Jim is building a cabinet for my 1801B's which will be a TL cabinet.  I'm assuming I can use the same crossover and components.  Is this correct, or will I have to modify the crossover?

Thanks,

Scott

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #24 on: 22 Oct 2009, 04:54 pm »
Earlier in this thread Dennis commented on changes to the crossover between the sealed and TL versions....  Jim is building a cabinet for my 1801B's which will be a TL cabinet.  I'm assuming I can use the same crossover and components.  Is this correct, or will I have to modify the crossover?

Thanks,

Scott

The original HT1 is ported, not sealed (except for a few exceptions in surround applications).  I had to change the crossover for the TL version because Jim switched the tweeters--LCY instead of the G2.  Although the TL baffle will obviously be taller, the width will pretty much control the radiation pattern.  I'm assuming the width of the TL version is the same as for the 1801.  If so, no crossover changes should be necessary. But I might be able to gerry rig an 1801 TL using one of my HT1 TL cabinets and check for sure. 

deeng

« Reply #25 on: 22 Oct 2009, 08:51 pm »
That's what I thought.  Thanks Dennis.

Scott

Rocket

« Reply #26 on: 23 Oct 2009, 11:12 am »
Hi Jim,

$2995US for the new Ht1 TL speakers is very good value.  Looks like you will have another hit on your hands.

Regards

Rod

sirbrine

« Reply #27 on: 24 Oct 2009, 07:46 pm »
I am so confused.  I have been reading about Salks for sometime now but have never posted.  What is the difference between the Veracity QW and the HT1-TL?

Thanks.

jsalk

« Reply #28 on: 24 Oct 2009, 08:11 pm »
Sirbrine -

I am so confused.  I have been reading about Salks for sometime now but have never posted.  What is the difference between the Veracity QW and the HT1-TL?

Thanks.

Your confusion is certainly understandable.

Although we may not remove the Veracity QW's from the web site, we essentially are replacing it with the HT1-TL.  The QW's are something we did a number of years ago, and it is a very good speaker.  But it never caught on like the HT3's and HT1's.

When we finished the SongTowers and HT2-TL's, we thought we may as well do an HT1-TL version as well, using the same LCY tweeter as in both of those designs.  The HT1-TL cabinet results in a lower F3 than the original QW's.  Other than that, they perform about the same. 

But with the HT1-TL's, we'll have an entire family of speakers (including an up-coming stand-mounted monitor for surround duty) using W18's and the LCY tweeter.  So this is what we will concentrate on rather than the QW's which were more of a special-purpose speaker primarily for music.

I hope this clears things up a little.

- Jim

Art_Chicago

« Reply #29 on: 24 Oct 2009, 10:28 pm »
Jim,

It would be great to see some "official" specs for the HT1-TL.

Regards,
Art

sirbrine

« Reply #30 on: 25 Oct 2009, 03:39 am »
Thanks Jim.  I'm looking forward to seeing the specs on the website.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #31 on: 25 Oct 2009, 06:59 pm »
I had the pleasure of listening to the new HT1-TL speakers at the recent RMAF show for an extended period of time.

I think the are VERY good loudspeakers, easily worth the price in sonic quality first, and looks and build quality too.  We got a big image and  very defined wide band sound and deeper clean bass response than I had expected.  They were driven by a pair of our brand new Ultravalve vacuum tube amplifiers, bridged so they could drive any of Jim's speakers, including the Soundscape-12s.  They definitely have that undefinable "magic" that so many loudspeakers are lacking. I think they would work great with our Insight Control Amplifier too.  Jim has a sample of that now, hopefully he will comment about this combination.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #32 on: 25 Oct 2009, 07:19 pm »
IIRC, the HT1-TL F3 is 32hz, identical to the HT2-TL, and their efficiency is 84 or 85 db.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #33 on: 25 Oct 2009, 08:15 pm »
I spent a good bit of the morning demonstrating the HT1 TL's, STRT's, and HT4's to a couple of anesthesiologists  (who actually seemed quite alert).  We had the advantage of my instant-comparo machine, and a really excellent audition CD one of them brought.  I think the order of preference was (best to least): HT4, and then "it depends."  The ST has a more focused up front sound, and the HT1's have a little more relaxed and spacious sound with a deeper sound stage.  Sometimes we thought it was a coin toss, sometimes there was a preference on way or the other, perhaps more for the ST on the music we auditioned.  The HT1 definitely goes deeper. 

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #34 on: 25 Oct 2009, 11:37 pm »
Jim,

What is the low end frequency response of these compared to the SongTowers and the H2-TL's?

Alex

jsalk

« Reply #35 on: 26 Oct 2009, 12:09 am »
Alex -

Jim,

What is the low end frequency response of these compared to the SongTowers and the H2-TL's?

Alex

The F3 for the HT1-TL's is roughly the same as for the HT2-TL's - about 32Hz.  In comparison, the F3 for the SongTowers is about 38Hz.

- Jim

music lover

« Reply #36 on: 26 Oct 2009, 01:09 am »
What are the dimensions of the HT1-TL ( height, width, depth) and approx weight of each speaker?

fluke242

« Reply #37 on: 26 Oct 2009, 03:52 pm »
They definitely have that undefinable "magic" that so many loudspeakers are lacking. I think they would work great with our Insight Control Amplifier too.  Jim has a sample of that now, hopefully he will comment about this combination.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Absolutely agree with Frank.  The HT-1 TL's have the "magic" and having hearing them compared to the HT4's, HT2, and SongTower RT, they are special for sure.  Testing was a pleasure with AVA gear supporting the entire Salk line-up.  :)

John

Mudslide

« Reply #38 on: 26 Oct 2009, 07:17 pm »
They definitely have that undefinable "magic" that so many loudspeakers are lacking. I think they would work great with our Insight Control Amplifier too.  Jim has a sample of that now, hopefully he will comment about this combination.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Absolutely agree with Frank.  The HT-1 TL's have the "magic" and having hearing them compared to the HT4's, HT2, and SongTower RT, they are special for sure.  Testing was a pleasure with AVA gear supporting the entire Salk line-up.  :)

John

The Oregon event was a very special Salk fest that gave many of us an opportunity to compare most of Jim's speaker line-up.  The synergy of Salk and AVA gear was indeed magical to hear.  I've said it before, and surely will again....the combination of the HT4 with Frank's gear is absolutely THE ultimate audio listening experience I've ever had.  As intently and critically as I listened, I could find zero to criticize.  I could only find music and intimacy with the artist playing at the time.  And I'd guess everyone there felt the same.  Jim and Frank have ruined us.  Anything else would be a compromise and step down.

As far as the other Salk speakers, to me they were excellent values and great performers.  I'll let others detail their presentations.  (I was truly surprised by the terrific bass performance of the HT1's.)  I just can't get the HT4/AVA experience out of my mind.  (Maybe I need anesthesia.  :wink:)