Beatles remasters usb stick 24/44.1 - sounds good

firedog

Beatles remasters usb stick 24/44.1 - sounds good
« on: 22 May 2010, 05:02 am »
Hi-

I don't know if this qualifies as truly hi-res, but I just heard it for the first time. It is definitely better sounding than the CD's (and I've also compared it to bit perfect rips of the CDs and the Usb stick on the same setup, so it isn't the usb stick itself that's the difference).

Sounds smoother and warmer (in a good way); a more "natural" sound. I think a lot of vinyl/analogue proponents could be fooled into thinking this is analogue. I was very surprised, as I had no expectations it would sound noticeably better.

I don't have a lot of experience yet with hi-res files, this gives a little credence to the camp that says the 24 part of the hi-res format is the most important part.

It also gives me hope that Apple will release 24/96 or 24/192 versions in the not distant future Those should sound even better (they've already confirmed they are pressing vinyl from the 24/192 transcriptions of the original analogue masters, btw).

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Beatles remasters usb stick 24/44.1 - sounds good
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2010, 05:06 am »
Which album did you hear ?

Edit....I see it's the whole box set.... :duh:

http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-USB/dp/B002VH7P4O

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2010, 05:19 am »
Yeah, I have seevral albums ripped from the USB stick and they sound a bit better than the 16 bit remasters...a slight improvement in the overall image density and midrange tonality.  IOW, a little more like analog.  Not night and day, but better.

As I've posted here before, the 24/192 remasters would be a killer app for, say, BluRay audio.   :thumb:

mca

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2010, 08:10 pm »
Can the FLAC files be taken off the USB stick and converted to AIFF?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2010, 09:11 pm »
Can the FLAC files be taken off the USB stick and converted to AIFF?

Yes, DB Poweramp or any music converter will work.  They are just good ole FLAC files.

« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2010, 10:51 pm by ted_b »

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2010, 12:11 am »
Hi-
It also gives me hope that Apple will release 24/96 or 24/192 versions in the not distant future Those should sound even better (they've already confirmed they are pressing vinyl from the 24/192 transcriptions of the original analogue masters, btw).

Hey!

I'm sure they will release the 24/96K+ in the near future. Just one more way to get us to buy the same album all over again.  :lol:

BTW... why the hell would they want to cut LPs from digital file anyway? Dude, if I want it on vinyl than I want true pure analog mastering. I guess they are just lazy now a day. Pretty sad for me :?

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

firedog

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2010, 11:40 am »
Hey!

I'm sure they will release the 24/96K+ in the near future. Just one more way to get us to buy the same album all over again.  :lol:

BTW... why the hell would they want to cut LPs from digital file anyway? Dude, if I want it on vinyl than I want true pure analog mastering. I guess they are just lazy now a day. Pretty sad for me :?

They've already said they are preparing vinyl cut from the 24/192 version of the original analogue masters. Why? My guess is (A) it's a lot easier/cheaper for them; (b) they are a corporation and obsessed about having uniformity throughout the catalogue, and not having different versions floating around.

The Doors catalogue was re-issued this way (b/c the original tapes were in such bad condition they weren't sure they would hold up for use as masters of new vinyl re-issues). But the Beatles tapes are reportedly in very good shape. In any case, even analogue freaks like Michael Fremmer thought the Doors' vinyl re-issues sounded good

My personal wish is that they would actually remix the original tracks, instead of just remastering them. If you heard the Yellow Submarine soundtrack DVD, you'd know that a remix can do some great things. The stereo imaging of the originals could definitely be improved.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2010, 01:01 pm »
I agree 100%.  There is no bigger Beatles fan than I am, but I realized that I am not a purist.  The remasters were fine (24 bit were a few percentage better, maybe), but not life changing in any way (in some ways the '87 cd's held up fine).  But listening to the YSS (Yellow Submarine Soundtrack) on things like All Too Much, Nowhere Man or even my personal fave, Hey Bulldog, show what good remixing can do.  It's time. 

Mike Nomad

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2010, 06:09 pm »
It also gives me hope that Apple will release 24/96 or 24/192 versions in the not distant future

+1. I haven't yet purchased either of the new box sets. The only way The Beatles(tm) gets my money is with a mono set in 24/192.

mcallister

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2010, 09:13 pm »
any place to download these from the usb stick? I bought both the mono and the stereo box set before there was mention of this and I'm surely not going to shell out another $250 for this USB stick when I'm ultimately waiting for a "hi-rez" version to be officialy released.

whanafi

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jul 2010, 04:06 pm »
I bought the box set, and when faced with all the CD's found the chore of ripping everything too tedious to tackle.  A visit to a pirate infested harbour resulted in a complete set of FLAC files.  Since I paid, I see this as just a labour saving download.

firedog

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2010, 11:29 am »
+1. I haven't yet purchased either of the new box sets. The only way The Beatles(tm) gets my money is with a mono set in 24/192.

Reports are that you will get vinyl based on the 24/192 masters in the near future, and apparently also the digital releases at some point. Prepare to have your wallet lightened.