B&W 606 S2 Crossover Upgrade

Lobster Astronaut

B&W 606 S2 Crossover Upgrade
« on: 19 Mar 2024, 05:00 pm »
Hey all,

I have a pair of B&W 606 S2 Anniversary edition speakers that I am using as rear height speakers for a home theater.  Mounting them to the wall using a speaker mount was less expensive than purchasing purpose built on wall height speakers.  Just for fun, I connected them directly to a receiver and played a few tunes.  I had forgotten how harsh these speakers sound without a whole lot of EQ thrown at them.  I was thinking about getting Danny's upgrade kit for these as a fun side project.  Has anyone here implemented this kit?  If so, what was your experience?  How do they perform compared to the default "B&W upgraded" crossover?  Also, what was in the it.  I don't need values.  Just an idea of what comes with the kit so I can plan appropriately.  Anything else you guys can tell me? 

I do not expect the upgrade to elevate the performance to the 705 Signature bookshelves.  I have a pair of those and find them a joy to listen to.  I did take apart a pair of 705 S2s and 705 Signatures.  The crossovers are almost identical with the exception of an additional resister and a larger heat sink on a part I cannot identify.  Honesty, I think it is the 705 speaker B&W should have made from the start. 

Anyway, anything you can share will be appreciated.

Thank you,
James

Danny Richie

Re: B&W 606 S2 Crossover Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2024, 11:03 pm »
There is a lot of room for improvement in those models.

For an on wall application we have something that is a little more ideal: https://gr-research.com/product/x-on-wall/

Lobster Astronaut

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2024, 04:59 pm »
Thank you for the recommendation, Danny.  I did check out your video on the X-On-Wall speakers.  Very interesting concept.  I am using bookshelf speakers as heights simply because I already owned the speakers and they were taking up space.  I do not have the localization issues you point out in the video because they are well away from the listening position.  I appreciate the advice.  But, for now, if I was going to make appreciable improvements for my theater, I will focus on the room and not on the speakers. 
 Plus, the fastest path to divorce is bringing home another set of speakers...

Saying this, I was just looking for a fun project with a pair of speakers that I threw in the back of my theaters simply because I was tired of tripping over them.  I have since replaced them with another set of speakers I was tripping over.  I have never upgraded a pair of speakers before and have seen plenty of your videos.  So, I figured, why not give it a try with the 606's.  But, before I spend any money, I wanted to see if anyone else on these forums has any experience with this upgrade and their before and after impressions. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2024, 02:07 am »
The upgrade on those models are fairly significant.