Track List from Jim's Demo CD

taoggniklat

Re: Track List from Jim's Demo CD
« Reply #40 on: 21 Jan 2010, 04:03 am »
Jim:

That would be great.  I know that you don't have enough to keep you busy.   :lol:

In the interim, maybe Salk customers could come up with a Salk Customers' Demo CD.  We have the Outstanding Demo CD thread.  What if we selected 17 tracks that, in our collective opinion, best demonstrated the speakers' capabilities?   I think that this would be a bloodbath fun and would further demonstrate your customers' satisfaction with their speakers. 

(If Jim says OK, maybe we should form a committee. :D   )

Good idea! Although I am guessing that it will be difficult to narrow it down to 17 tracks or so. :)

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #41 on: 21 Jan 2010, 03:03 pm »
Good idea! Although I am guessing that it will be difficult to narrow it down to 17 tracks or so. :)

Whatever will fit on a CD without being excessive.

MaxCast

« Reply #42 on: 21 Jan 2010, 03:22 pm »
we should do this every year.
Salk Demo Disc 2010,  SSD10 for short.  :)

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #43 on: 21 Jan 2010, 03:33 pm »
we should do this every year.
Salk Demo Disc 2010,  SSD10 for short.  :)

How about Salk Owners' Demo Disc 2010, SODD10?  A customer-generated demo disc could be a powerful statement about customer satisfaction.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #44 on: 21 Jan 2010, 07:18 pm »
This sounds like a really good idea, and I'm hoping somone will take the intiative.  Jim and I are always looking for good demo material.  Most of mine is classical and not always of help to people who come over to audition stuff at my house.  Jim's CD has some good stuff on it, but I'm sick of it, and some of it really isn't all that great.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #45 on: 21 Jan 2010, 07:43 pm »
I'm always making draft CD's for this purpose but often struggle with a cool tune that doesn't have the best audio reproduction.  But I'll bet I have about 6 prototypes in my Playlists on the Squeezebox. 

Thought I'd offer up to Jim to DJ for him at AKFest so he can talk and I can manage the sound.  Some of the complaints from previous shows has been the limited repertoire and that is certainly impacted by time spent entertaining customers.

jsalk

« Reply #46 on: 22 Jan 2010, 03:35 am »
This is a great idea.  I tried once before to have those contributing to the "Outstanding Demo CD" thread to suggest the best of the best, but no one seemed too interested.  I think it would be great fun to develop a list and then narrow it down through a poll of some kind.

Thought I'd offer up to Jim to DJ for him at AKFest so he can talk and I can manage the sound.  Some of the complaints from previous shows has been the limited repertoire and that is certainly impacted by time spent entertaining customers.

Pete, you're on!  Of course, you have to realize it makes for a long day.   :)

- Jim

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #47 on: 22 Jan 2010, 04:35 am »
Jim and Dennis OK'ed a Salk Owners or Salk Customers' CD.  Shall we form a committee?  If not, I don't know how this will get accomplished.  If so, anyone wish to join the committee?  Anyone wish to chair the committee?  Jim stated that there would eventually be a poll about the final choices for the CD. 

funkmonkey

« Reply #48 on: 22 Jan 2010, 05:33 am »
Very cool idea, I'll contribute what I can.  How are we going to compile files? email FLAC back and forth?  Everybody has to buy the CDs?  Host the proposed songs somewhere, so the committee can up/down-load the files for evaluation? Should genre diversity be a goal?  Should this be in it's own thread, so that it get's the proper attention?

...for some reason I tend to come up with a lot of questions when I start to think about stuff...  :dunno:

Cheers

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #49 on: 22 Jan 2010, 06:15 am »
Very cool idea, I'll contribute what I can.  How are we going to compile files? email FLAC back and forth?  Everybody has to buy the CDs?  Host the proposed songs somewhere, so the committee can up/down-load the files for evaluation? Should genre diversity be a goal?  Should this be in it's own thread, so that it get's the proper attention?

...for some reason I tend to come up with a lot of questions when I start to think about stuff...  :dunno:

Cheers

Hooray, a committee member.

We might be able to use dropbox to upload samples of files.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #50 on: 22 Jan 2010, 12:26 pm »
I'd worry less about managing the actual files for now and lets decide on how to organize.  I suggest we create buckets to list songs in.  Perhaps:

Acoustic
Pop
Jazz
New age
Folk
Orchestral
Pipe organ
Chorale
etc.

And then we need to agree on the qualities we think make a track pass muster.  Is it no background noise, hi rez, or ?  Personally I do not concern myself with hi rez but am often bothered by a great recording tainted by high background hiss that can detract from the overall experience we hope someone will have with that otherwise good sound out front.

What do you think?

MaxCast

« Reply #51 on: 22 Jan 2010, 01:24 pm »
We could also select 15-17 people and each select one song.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #52 on: 22 Jan 2010, 01:29 pm »

That would be HARD!!! :o

MaxCast

« Reply #53 on: 22 Jan 2010, 03:40 pm »
Maybe so, Red.  I figured it may be easier than creating polls.  Some may not know how to vote if you don't have the song or never heard it.  Maybe the first 15 submissions get on.  BTW, those cdr's are still coming.  Maybe I'll send a whole bunch if you volunteer to be the burner  :wink:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #54 on: 22 Jan 2010, 06:25 pm »
I'd worry less about managing the actual files for now and lets decide on how to organize.  I suggest we create buckets to list songs in. 

Woot! Another committee member.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #55 on: 22 Jan 2010, 06:43 pm »

Yippee. Another committee member.

Thus far, the committee appears to be composed of MaxCast, BRM, and funkmonkey. 

Any one else?  Zybar, adydula, fishinbob, KShep, TJ, Nuance, marty, OgOg, Art, rahimlee, Jerry, rocket?  Other Salk owners/former owners?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #56 on: 22 Jan 2010, 07:07 pm »
Maybe so, Red.  I figured it may be easier than creating polls.  Some may not know how to vote if you don't have the song or never heard it.  Maybe the first 15 submissions get on.  BTW, those cdr's are still coming.  Maybe I'll send a whole bunch if you volunteer to be the burner  :wink:

Well I don't see polling as much as creation after we get our buckets filled up.  We can mix and match so the CD has a flow or life to it and with a variety, or not, that can be orchestrated.

rahimlee54

« Reply #57 on: 22 Jan 2010, 09:41 pm »
I can help if you guys are just looking for opinions.  Good thing my resolution is almost over, the credit card can come out to play in just another week.  I am sure amazon has missed my contributions.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #58 on: 22 Jan 2010, 09:57 pm »
MaxCast, BRM, rahimlee, and funkmonkey.

irishluck73

« Reply #59 on: 23 Jan 2010, 09:58 pm »
I really like the Nils Lofgren track the most.
ME TOO!!! I'm headed to the store to buy this album now. Great voice, awesome guitar playing, I'm sold!