W E L C O M E ! - - - - - - Invitation to start threads HERE

mfsoa

Re: W E L C O M E ! - - - - - - Invitation to start threads HERE
« Reply #20 on: 5 Mar 2010, 10:07 pm »
Great...just great.. Another knucklehead who feels the same way about these amps that I do  :thumb:

Seriously- nice review, targa. That is some fine equipment that you have hooked up to the Cherry Jr.

Thanks for sharing.

-Mike

mcullinan

« Reply #21 on: 5 Mar 2010, 11:44 pm »
gee someday i hope to demo one of these babys. Only if my dreams could come true. I mean Ive got my ruby slippers on. uh nice frilly dress. Somewhere over that cross dressing rainbow. ;)
M

mfsoa

« Reply #22 on: 6 Mar 2010, 01:44 am »
I was hoping to head-to-head with the Nuforces someday. It'd be an interesting comparison for sure.

But now that you are TubeBoy (ManleyMan?)I didn't think you'd stoop to the Class D level again  :lol:

-M

mcullinan

« Reply #23 on: 6 Mar 2010, 03:44 am »
Oh Ill stoop!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #24 on: 6 Mar 2010, 07:03 am »
I was hoping to head-to-head with the Nuforces someday. It'd be an interesting comparison for sure.

One of our customers wrote this to us in 2007.  This was regarding our older version DAC4800A amp, which has since been improved in many ways:
"The Nuforce monos sounded quite nice, but to my ears were a little harsh sounding on the high end at very loud levels. After about an hour, we then switched over to the DAC. I actually wasn't sure what to expect because I had never heard it in another system, let alone a side by side comparason with the Nuforce Referance 9 SE's. Well Tom, not only did the DAC sound better. Quite Frankly it took the sound to a higher level."

mfsoa

« Reply #25 on: 6 Mar 2010, 12:36 pm »
Ahh but the Nuforces have improved since then as well (So they would say - Never had a long-term audition myself).

Just sayin', to be fair  :thumb:

-Mike

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #26 on: 6 Mar 2010, 05:13 pm »
good fellows,

Want to share some impressions on the Cherry Jr.  My system is as follows:  HP TouchSmart laptop – Musiland Monitor 01 USD (USB converter) – EMM Labs DAC 6e – Placette RVC (balanced) – Cherry Jr – SP Tech Timepiece 3.0.  My system is fully balanced.  You can find many reviews on the EMM Labs, Placette and SP Tech.  No doubts that they are completely transparent and extremely accurate.  So most of what I write below relates to the ability of Cherry Jr to handle the signal it is fed and how it controls the SP Tech.  Note that I also owned the Offramp Turbo 2 USB converter (w/  S4) before and had in my systems for months. 

I bought the Jr directly from Tommy and had the amp for a while but not seriously listened to the amp until last 2 weeks.  I have like 40-50 hours on the amp.  Reason for delayed listening was that I used EMM Labs DAC directly connected to the Cherry Jr. and used the digital volume control of my laptop.  Well that set up did not work.  Everyone knows that if a computer volume setting is not set at 100%, the output signal looses bits (or data) and therefore “corrupted”.  The result was hollow and grainy (distorted) sound.  Inserting the Placette and setting the computer volume at 100% corrected all issues w/ the sound.

So how does the Cherry Jr sound in my system?  I can summarize my impressions of Cherry Jr as follows:  (1) flat freq response and very accurate, (2) low distortion and hence outstanding details and micro dynamics(!), (3) excellent macro dynamics, and (4) fast and exerted excellent control of SP Tech.  The end result is simply musical…  Some listening tests:
I listened to Beethoven Symphony 9 (Symphonie No.9 - Herbert von Karajan - Berliner Philharmoniker [2003 Hybrid SACD ]) extensively w/ the Cherry Jr.  I never heard this symphony this good!  Actually I barely listened to the # 9 because my older systems (e.g. Krell SACD, ARC pre and amp, Martin Logan Vantage) could not resolve the complexity and keep up with the dynamics of this piece.  Now, I can hear the credible intensity and emotions of #9.  I ripped the files from the CD layer of my SACD.  This CD is recorded originally in 1963 and brought out in SACD in 2003.  Given this early recorded time, the recording is not the best compared to modern standards.  However, I can clearly hear the distinct instrument voices.  The layering of the soundstage from front to back is phenomenal (i.e. resolution and micro dynamics!).  The music flows easily and never sounds compressed.  The recording is not the best from the perspective that – even though I can hear the instrument voices distinctively and clearly – there is not much harmonic information/ data about individual voices.  The overall effect is like I am sitting in the middle or far end of the concert hall instead of in the front first few rows.  For sure, I have not heard the hall in this recording so good before…

Fast forward to a more modern recording:  Melody Gardot - Worrisome Heart (2007 I think on top of my head).  On this recording she sings very close to the mic.  I felt like she had something covered up her mouth (I exaggerated a bit here but you get the idea) while she sang when I listened through my older setups.  Not so with my current setup.  True that her voice is intimate due to close mic set up but for sure, she does not sound like her voice is covered up.  I hear tons of harmonic data about each note she sings and the instrument voices.  Listening to this recording, I get a feeling that the singer is singing to me and to me alone instead of singing to an audience.  Definitely a romantic recording and purposely so.

When I listened to the above pieces of music or other through the Cherry Jr, I could easily hear the hall or space in the recordings.  Of course, more so in some than other.  I like musical truth and accuracy:  listening to music the way the recording artists envisioned for their listeners.  The emotional interpretation of that music is of course up to each listener but at least, musical content is not (or minimally) lost from artist to listener in “accurate” systems.  This amp delivers on all aspects Tommy claims:  ultra linear, extremely low distortion and powerful. 

Well done, Tommy!
Thanks for the well written review!
-Tommy

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #27 on: 6 Mar 2010, 05:39 pm »
Ahh but the Nuforces have improved since then as well (So they would say - Never had a long-term audition myself).

Just sayin', to be fair  :thumb:

-Mike

But Mike, does Tommy scrap off the chip markings in his amps as I've heard Nuforce routinely does? Kinda hard to know what's been "upgraded" when a company practices chip scraping deception wouldn't you say? Just to be fair,,,,  :lol:

But there's nothing that compares with head to head gear comparisons, a trademark of the NY Audio RAVES.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

mcullinan

« Reply #28 on: 6 Mar 2010, 06:09 pm »
Ill tell you what... They are up for sale right now on Audiogon, but if I havent sold them by Mikes Rave I will bring them with.
M

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #29 on: 7 Mar 2010, 03:40 am »

But Mike, does Tommy scrap off the chip markings in his amps as I've heard Nuforce routinely does? Kinda hard to know what's been "upgraded" when a company practices chip scraping deception wouldn't you say? Just to be fair,,,,  :lol:

But there's nothing that compares with head to head gear comparisons, a trademark of the NY Audio RAVES.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
We don't do that FWIW...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #30 on: 7 Mar 2010, 12:05 pm »
Uh, no, Lance, Melody Gardot was singing to ME.  While you were over at your computer rippin and copyin and carryin on, her mouth was whispering into MY ears.

I've been over and heard each of Lance's most recent acquisitions to his system and goings on and think his system has gained a lot of realism and pleasure for his efforts.  I'm tempted to say that his system has reached a pinnacle but he'll probably surprise me, yet.   

Nice work, my man.  I dearly like what I experience at your crib. 
« Last Edit: 7 Mar 2010, 08:55 pm by jimdgoulding »

targa

« Reply #31 on: 8 Mar 2010, 10:20 pm »
Jim,

as i told you in person, you do have a great ability in listening.  you for sure have helped me troubleshooting my system so a lot is also a result of your listening and inputs.  however, i am happy to observe that the last two times you were here, you no longer talked about systems but pure music...  we have now elevated our conversations from equipment/ system to music.  is that not the end goal?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #32 on: 9 Mar 2010, 12:12 am »
Right you are.  And we'll listen to some music at my house very soon, too, I'm sure.  You done good, my son.  Ommmm.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Cherry jr announcement on 6moons
« Reply #33 on: 10 Mar 2010, 08:34 pm »
In case you missed it:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78803.msg748207#msg748207

Looking for other places for such an announcement, so please post suggestions.

Thanks.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #34 on: 10 Mar 2010, 09:36 pm »
In case you missed it:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78803.msg748207#msg748207

Looking for other places for such an announcement, so please post suggestions.

Thanks.

Stereophile, The Absolute Sound, all publications, have a section for "Press Releases". Send 'em in.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #35 on: 11 Mar 2010, 08:56 am »
Stereophile, The Absolute Sound, all publications, have a section for "Press Releases". Send 'em in.
Working on it.  Any 2-channel specialized publications, aside from 6moons?  Thanks.

mfsoa

« Reply #36 on: 11 Mar 2010, 11:09 am »
There used to be an AC thread about on-line audiophile web sites, but I can't find it. There were dozens listed, IIRC.

If anyone knows where this is, can you please post a link here?

Thanks

-Mike

shep

« Reply #37 on: 11 Mar 2010, 12:03 pm »
http://www.dailyaudiophile.com/ (is not what you were asking for but..) I can' find that old thread either.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #38 on: 11 Mar 2010, 05:45 pm »
I'm friends with the editor of The Stereo Times.

vdejulio

« Reply #39 on: 11 Mar 2010, 07:14 pm »
Tommy,
When you get a chance check your email.  Interested in making a purchase :eyebrows:
Take Care,
Vince