Is there a test to check on tweeters,some electric guitar makes my tweets buzz

Huck

Hi: I have a pair of Yamaha DXR10 powered speakers that have an annoying buzz,or scraping sound at a certain frequency,usually the 'fuzz' notes on a electric guitar(Godsmack),but the upper notes played on a piano(Brian Bromberg jazz) sounds good,both from Amazon streaming service.
Most of the time I can listen to most anything and tweeters sound fine,but just a few upper frequencies really get the tweets 'going'.
I guess I need to find what frequencies are freaking my tweets out and maybe download that particular frequency onto a thumb drive?
Does that sound about right? Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2022, 01:04 pm by Huck »

WGH

Audio Check has free audio tests for practically everything speakers can do.
https://www.audiocheck.net/

If you can't stream then for $5 you can download all the tests to run from a server, burn to a CD or put on a thumbdrive.

Huck

Audio Check has free audio tests for practically everything speakers can do.
https://www.audiocheck.net/

If you can't stream then for $5 you can download all the tests to run from a server, burn to a CD or put on a thumbdrive.
Thanks!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Is it in both tweeters?  Have you checked to see if the tweeter(s) are tightly secured to the cabinet?

Huck

Is it in both tweeters?  Have you checked to see if the tweeter(s) are tightly secured to the cabinet?
Seems to be in both tweeters.Weird thing is,upper frequencies from piano sound normal,but the same frequency on electric guitar gets 'em goin'.
Haven't checked for tweeter security.Thanks,H50

DannyBadorine

Can you run a tone sweep to see exactly which frequency does it?  Is it possible that it is some other piece of hardware in the room resonating at that frequency?  Maybe it's a loose handle on furniture or something like that. Just a shot in the dark here.

Huck

Can you run a tone sweep to see exactly which frequency does it?  Is it possible that it is some other piece of hardware in the room resonating at that frequency?  Maybe it's a loose handle on furniture or something like that. Just a shot in the dark here.
Since these are plastic cabinets,could be the whole cabinets are resonating,but pretty sure it's the tweets.
I played some jazz,including some very high piano passages via streaming and they all sound good,but if I play a certain 'rock' guitar,especially with lots of 'fuzz',(Godsmack),the tweets make a scraping,buzzing sound...weird that it won't do it when listening to some 'good' music (Brian Bromberg)?!
I will try a tone sweep later on and see(hear) if I notice anything.Thanks,Huck

Huck

I just did a tone sweep 20-20khz and did not hear anything out of the ordinary?! Huck

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Are you streaming?

Huck

richidoo

Try adjusting the tension of the mounting screws.  I had a SEAS tweeter once which buzzed when the mounting screws were too tight, which I assume was due to slight bending the flange causing misalignment of VC in the gap. Loosening the mounting screws a little cured the problem, but they were still tight enough to hold them steady and seal. Make sure all mounting screws have very similar torque.

Manufacturers use a 'rub and buzz' test to automatically test drivers in quantity, but for our amateur purposes an electrical impedance sweep (like DATS) will reveal any mechanical problem as ripples or spikes in the impedance curve at that freq, then you can coordinate that with the freq at which you hear the noise for confirmation.

Audiophiles often tempted to blame their systems for any audible flaw but the noise could be on the recording, or even several recordings of same musician, or same bum microphone, etc.

WGH

What Godsmack songs are buzzy? Many here have streaming and can check the songs out. I'm unfamiliar with the band so I checked out Godsmack on YouTube and my first thought was you are playing them way too loud.  :guitar: :drums: :rock:

Huck

What Godsmack songs are buzzy? Many here have streaming and can check the songs out. I'm unfamiliar with the band so I checked out Godsmack on YouTube and my first thought was you are playing them way too loud.  :guitar: :drums: :rock:
Yeah...they are a band that needs to be played loud.
My tweeters supposed to have limiting protection,so might be the music I am listening to...like I said before,'good' music sounds fine in the upper areas...go figure?!Huck

WGH

My tweeters supposed to have limiting protection,so might be the music I am listening to...

Played loud is an understatement, the DRX10 has a Maximum SPL of 131dB
Are you getting the blinky limit indicator light?

From the DXR10 manual:
Sound is distorted
Output volume is excessive.
Use the LEVEL control to lower the output level to a point no higher than where the LIMIT indicator lights occasionally.

Poking around the internet I noticed you have been living with this problem for 7 months.
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?63257-Possible-tweeters-going-bad-on-Yamaha-DXR10-powered-speakers&s=8ebf09fba5c9eb44cbf715b4c0ffdbd9

I would suggest getting new speakers but can't think of a brand that you wouldn't blow out the tweeters in 5 minutes.

Huck

Played loud is an understatement, the DRX10 has a Maximum SPL of 131dB
Are you getting the blinky limit indicator light?

From the DXR10 manual:
Sound is distorted
Output volume is excessive.
Use the LEVEL control to lower the output level to a point no higher than where the LIMIT indicator lights occasionally.

Poking around the internet I noticed you have been living with this problem for 7 months.
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?63257-Possible-tweeters-going-bad-on-Yamaha-DXR10-powered-speakers&s=8ebf09fba5c9eb44cbf715b4c0ffdbd9

I would suggest getting new speakers but can't think of a brand that you wouldn't blow out the tweeters in 5 minutes.
Never had the red overdriven light come on,green blinks,on ocassion.
Well mastered music is fine,no buzzes,but not so well mastered music,buzzes.
I need to find better quality music.Huck

WGH

Never had the red overdriven light come on,green blinks,on ocassion.

My guess is a blinking green looks like you are intermittently loosing either signal or power. Vibration at loud volume breaks a connection, could be anywhere from wiring to cold solder joint on the circuit board. Or as simple as a bad interconnect/connection.

Huck

I believe the green signal lights starts to blink with increased volume,then the next step,it stays on steady,then the red limit light comes on,which I have never seen,maybe because it's behind and can't see it from my listening position,but I have looked behind a few times when the volume is up and maybe the green is on steady,but even then it's pretty loud,but no red.
I have the speakers crossed over at 80HZ,so all low bass is handled by the 12 inch sub,probably why the red overload light on the tops never came on.Huck
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2022, 11:46 am by Huck »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Yup.Huck

Turn the master volume on the streamer down a little from maximum.  Generally the max volume setting overloads the DAC, server downstream causing high frequency distortion.

Huck

Turn the master volume on the streamer down a little from maximum.  Generally the max volume setting overloads the DAC, server downstream causing high frequency distortion.
I don't think I have a choice as far a variable volume control on my Bluesound NODE,as it defaults to full volume when using an external DAC,which I am.Thanks,Huck

mcgsxr

If you're using MQA the digital volume defaults to full with the Node, but if not you CAN elect to use volume control via digital outputs on them.

So the reading I continue to do about them tells me anyway, the Node is on a short list for me these days.