First tube amp - AVA Ultravalve or Jolida/Black Ice 3502P

jsm71

Re: First tube amp - AVA Ultravalve or Jolida/Black Ice 3502P
« Reply #40 on: 13 Jan 2021, 07:47 pm »
Because your 98dB speakers really don't need 35 watts you could look at SET (single ended triode) tube amps and still get full volume.  There is a whole world of SET purists who will only go this route, but I won't get into that discussion.  Let's just say SET amps really show you what tube amps sound like and with efficient speakers it can be wonderful.  The AVA amp design is the more popular push/pull design for more power.  It's not bad, just different.

My first two tube amps (after 40+ years of SS amps) were from Decware and it really opened my eyes regarding tube sound.  For you I would consider their Super Zen Triode at $1,295.  It is SET design and they have played in the low power amp world for over 20 years.  Many of their customers use Klipsch loudspeakers or other high efficiency brands. 

Steve Deckert is easy to reach by phone and they also have their own forums on the Decware site.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #41 on: 14 Jan 2021, 08:27 pm »
I just fired up a new Ultravalve today. Had not seriously listened to one for a few weeks here.

It is driving my Philharmonic Three 83 dB sensitive 4 ohm full range towers flawlessly.  Amazing tonal structure, range, transparency, and engagement.

It is easy to forget just how good this little 35W channel wonder really is.

It perfect to replace any of those one watt wonder megabuck single ended amplifiers with something that plays the music, but does not color the sound.

Frank

Docere

« Reply #42 on: 15 Jan 2021, 11:01 am »
I just fired up my SET amp today. Had not seriously listened to one for a few weeks here.

It is driving my 99dB sensitivity full range towers flawlessly.  Amazing tonal structure, range, transparency, and engagement.

It is easy to forget just how good this little 2W channel wonder really is.

It perfect to replace any of those feedback-ridden indirectly-heated push-pull amplifiers with something that plays the music, but does not color the sound.

Just me.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #43 on: 15 Jan 2021, 04:51 pm »
I had my 4 watt sep running last night with my 90 dB wideband speakers, just wonderful/beautiful sound. 
I think it was the same color as the recording. :green: