Out of phase?

cacophony777

Out of phase?
« on: 8 Aug 2010, 05:09 pm »
I just upgraded my speaker wires from homemade monoprice to pre-built blue jeans cables. The main motivation was I liked the idea of having that ultrasoncially welded connection to the locking banana plugs  :green:

When I hooked them up last night I accidentally reversed the red/black connection to my amp for one of the speakers. But it sounded good enough that I failed to notice this for a few hours. Or perhaps I was just learning to accept the sound of these new wires  :D

Is this an out of phase wiring? What effect should this have?

srb

Re: Out of phase?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2010, 05:42 pm »
When I hooked them up last night I accidentally reversed the red/black connection to my amp for one of the speakers.

Is this an out of phase wiring? What effect should this have?

Yes.  The first thing that you might notice is reduced bass from the cancellation of lower frequencies.  You will also have cancellation of mid and high frequencies, it's just more apparent in the bass at first listen.  It also would affect the stereo imaging and soundstage.

That just reinforces the difference between A/B-ing something with instantaneous back and forth switching, versus from memory with a time lag.  If you could instantly switch back and forth one speaker being in phase and out of phase, I can't imagine anyone not hearing a difference, it's not really a subtle thing.

Steve

cacophony777

Re: Out of phase?
« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2010, 06:44 pm »

Yes.  The first thing that you might notice is reduced bass from the cancellation of lower frequencies.  You will also have cancellation of mid and high frequencies, it's just more apparent in the bass at first listen.  It also would affect the stereo imaging and soundstage.

That just reinforces the difference between A/B-ing something with instantaneous back and forth switching, versus from memory with a time lag.  If you could instantly switch back and forth one speaker being in phase and out of phase, I can't imagine anyone not hearing a difference, it's not really a subtle thing.

Steve

Good info, thanks Steve. The only component I've ever been able to easily differentiate without direct A/B switching is a pair of speakers. I think that officially makes me ineligible for upgrading anything else, which of course is good because it save me money :D