Bypass Cap Recommendation

tubav

Bypass Cap Recommendation
« on: 29 Nov 2019, 04:26 pm »
I'm going to give bypass caps a try to see if I notice a difference. What would be a good value to bypass a 1.5uf tweeter cap? Thanks. tubav

Danny Richie

Re: Bypass Cap Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2019, 05:07 pm »
I'm going to give bypass caps a try to see if I notice a difference. What would be a good value to bypass a 1.5uf tweeter cap? Thanks. tubav

That is a pretty small tweeter cap.

I'd go with a value of .1uF or smaller.

LarryD56

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2019, 10:48 pm »
What would be a good bypass for a 125uf midrange circuit?

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2019, 10:55 pm »
What would be a good bypass for a 125uf midrange circuit?

In most cases like that I would go for a .1uF Gen.2 Sonicap.

LarryD56

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2019, 04:47 pm »
Exactly what is (are) the main purpose(s) of the bypass cap? A) Is it to speed up the delivery of the signal. B) To impart the sonic characteristics of the higher quality bypass cap to the driver. C) A combination of the two. D) And/or other things? I never was clear of it's purposes.

Captainhemo

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2019, 07:10 pm »
I'd say  it's mostly  "a",   ,  they  really help leading/trailing edges  andhelp create space and separation.
There may be  some of "b" going on as well but IMHO,  it's not as much as people may  think. That being  said, different bypass caps of the same values do   seem to sound different...

As Danny  mentioned,  the  Sonicap G2's are a great buy and can really help  the charge/discharge rates of a  large bundle/valued cap.  Give somea  try and if you     like what you  hear   and don't mind spending a  few extra $$'s,  try something  different  and see if you  notice  any differnce.

jay

mboxler

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2019, 04:08 pm »
.... can really help  the charge/discharge rates of a large bundle/valued cap.

Can you elaborate on this?  As I understand it, the electron flow from one plate of a capacitor to the other is based on three things... capacitance, load, and voltage change.  Since none of these have changed, I would think that the capacitor being "bypassed" would be functioning exactly the same whether it is bypassed or not  :scratch:

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2019, 07:27 pm »
Can you elaborate on this?  As I understand it, the electron flow from one plate of a capacitor to the other is based on three things... capacitance, load, and voltage change.  Since none of these have changed, I would think that the capacitor being "bypassed" would be functioning exactly the same whether it is bypassed or not  :scratch:

Mike

I knew I'd read something about the theory behind   bypass caps but couldn't remember  where... anyway, I finally dug it up and it's here:
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/explain-a-bypass-cap.750294/

I'm  not  an EE, was only stating what  I've  heard and what  I've siscussed with  others.
I'm  assuming by  your post that you  don't believe  that bypas caps make a differente  ?   Have you  tried  them  in  any applications ?   Like I mentioned above,  you  can  pick  up a  pair of  Sonicap G2's for   very little money and it  doesn't take  long  to install them  "around"  a cop in  a high pass filter.   If you  don't notice  any difference, take them out,  if you do,  all the beter..... you  might be surprised

jay

BobM

« Reply #8 on: 4 Dec 2019, 09:31 pm »
Bypass the tweeter (.1 or .01uF for something that small) but don't bypass the midrange or bass.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 4 Dec 2019, 11:00 pm »
Bypass the tweeter (.1 or .01uF for something that small) but don't bypass the midrange or bass.

I started by-passing both tweeter and mid/woofer circuits. Everybody says I don't need it in the mid/woofer circuit but I like the result.

Mike

Stimpy

« Reply #10 on: 5 Dec 2019, 02:50 pm »

I usually add bypass caps to series and parallel crossover capacitors, with out issue.  So, I'm just curious as to why you don't recommend bypass caps on the mid or bass capacitors? 

Thanks.

Stimpy

« Reply #11 on: 5 Dec 2019, 02:54 pm »
I started by-passing both tweeter and mid/woofer circuits. Everybody says I don't need it in the mid/woofer circuit but I like the result.

Bypass caps, on the ClarityCap ESA's, that I used on my midrange circuit, really helped their upper midrange respond.  Very sucked out/withdrawn otherwise, and lacking in air.  Adding bypass caps helped fill in what was missing.
« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2019, 05:37 pm by Stimpy »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #12 on: 5 Dec 2019, 03:33 pm »
 Using a Duelund silver bypass cap on a Duelund 35.0uf cap in our outboard crossover was a big improvement in sound. More detail without changing tonality. Sound stage opened as well.

charles

ccomplete

« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2019, 10:12 pm »
I recently started messing with bypass caps as well. I’ve tried countless caps in DACs and phono stages and amps and usually always preferred duelund or jupiter copper foils and haven’t looked back in years.. I was recently messing with an old replacement dac and swapped out the signal caps for sonicaps I had laying around bypassed with .1uF platinums... sounded soooooo much better than stock that I cannibalized some other gear to pull out the jupiter coppers because it should be that much better, right? I was surprised. The sonicap combo was way better than an unbypassed jupiter in the same spot. The jupiter had more depth and texture but the sonicap combo had tremendously better dynamics and overall realism. The dynamics with the single jupiter were dull in comparison. Then I bypassed the jupiter and it was.. eye opening. Ear opening? Made me order a bunch of bypass caps to throw on all my stuff anyway haha

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #14 on: 6 Dec 2019, 03:42 am »
Bypass caps, on the ClarityCap ESA's, that I used on my midrange circuit, really helped their upper midrange respond.  Very sucked out/withdrawn otherwise, and lacking in air.  Adding bypass caps helped fill in what was missing.

Yep, ESA caps are good for mid and low frequencies but not so much for high frequencies.  Definitely no good for tweeter circuits.  At least not in the signal path.  Same for the newer CSA caps.

Captainhemo

« Reply #15 on: 6 Dec 2019, 04:00 am »
Yep, ESA caps are good for mid and low frequencies but not so much for high frequencies.  Definitely no good for tweeter circuits.  At least not in the signal path.  Same for the newer CSA caps.

I'm  absolutely loving the new  Coppers  bypassed with Miflex .022's on the high pass of my S7's.   What  an improvement... been  meaning  do a  little  blurb over  in the  S7 thread regarding them.   Now  I'm  gonna have to   spend  more  and  get   a pair for the midrange    .....

jay

Stimpy

« Reply #16 on: 6 Dec 2019, 12:37 pm »

You are absolutely correct about the ClarityCaps.  Nice, but very colored, in some respects.  And that upper end roll-off, drove me crazy.  I was hoping it would improve with burn in, which it did to some degree.  But, I had to add bypass caps, to open them up a bit more, and the sound was still slightly muted in the highs.  While I like their sound, the Clarity's still aren't quite to my liking.  I might try a mix of ClarityCaps and Mundorf's, to see if I can get a better blend.

maty

« Reply #17 on: 6 Dec 2019, 02:16 pm »
I'm  absolutely loving the new  Coppers  bypassed with Miflex .022's on the high pass of my S7's.   What  an improvement...

The true audiophile does not settle for just bypass. If you are also a Texan, you want it all BIG  :P

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/246935-amateur-ob-speaker-builder-and-his-arc-based-digital-system/?do=findComment&comment=3993216

They each weigh 1.75kg and are as big as two coke cans...

Miflex KPCU-01 8.2uF +/- 5%  600Vdc

Stimpy

« Reply #18 on: 6 Dec 2019, 03:05 pm »
The true audiophile does not settle for just bypass. If you are also a Texan, you want it all BIG  :P

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/246935-amateur-ob-speaker-builder-and-his-arc-based-digital-system/?do=findComment&comment=3993216

Miflex KPCU-01 8.2uF +/- 5%  600Vdc

I'd have to add additional stuffing to my cabinets, to compensate for loss of volume, in order to use those...!  :o

So, I'll leave everything as-is.

maty

« Reply #19 on: 6 Dec 2019, 03:14 pm »
We must also take a look at the dimensions and weight even for few microfarads.

Better idea is to use only those of smaller value as bypass, forgetting those of greater value, size, weight and money!

I would change the resistors first, but until next week I will not verify if the Mills resistors change the sound of my little coaxials, for better or worse and how much.

BTW, complex crossover. What loudspeakers are they?