Ceramica

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Ceramica
« on: 22 Mar 2018, 06:29 am »

A dual 6.5" 3-way floorstander. Also available is a matching center channel.

xsilverjag

Re: Ceramica
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2018, 12:30 pm »
a gloss white cabinet could be fun with those drivers!

Sootboots

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2018, 10:27 pm »
Will this be available as a kit?

regards,
John

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2018, 02:51 am »
Will this be available as a kit?

regards,
John

Yes, about $1,700 - $1,800 / pair including shipping to the mainland USA. This includes damping material and everything else you'll need except the cabinets. Exceptional for the $!

dst

« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2018, 12:23 am »
Are those SB Acoustics ceramic drivers?  If so, do you like them more than the aluminum?  The frequency plots look very similar?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2018, 02:33 pm »
Are those SB Acoustics ceramic drivers?  If so, do you like them more than the aluminum?  The frequency plots look very similar?

Yes, the ceramic drivers. I haven't compared them side-by-side with the aluminum versions but they are really excellent. The assembled version shown here is $3,400/pr. with shipping included the the mainland USA. I don't think anything can touch it at this price.  :thumb:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2018, 03:54 pm »
Pictures with the base and grill. Sorry that these didn't make it to Axpona!

cementhead

« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2018, 04:53 pm »
Is there a monitor version of this Rick?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2018, 05:11 pm »
Is there a monitor version of this Rick?

The Onesto uses a 5.5" woofer and beryllium dome tweeter. A monitor with these drivers (say 6.5" 3-way) is certainly possible.

cementhead

« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2018, 02:32 pm »
That has my interest! Something I should contact you about?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2018, 02:46 pm »
That has my interest! Something I should contact you about?

Sure - feel free to contact me or post questions with a thread for "Onesto".

pawsman

« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2018, 01:02 pm »
Rick,
You mentioned a 6 1/2" 3-way with the SB acoustics ceramic drivers is possible. How would a 6 1/2" 3-way with the
SB acoustics Ceramic drivers & be tweeter compare to the Tempesta MK II?
What would the fully assembled speaker retail for? Thanks-

pawsman

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #12 on: 27 Apr 2018, 02:29 pm »
Rick,
You mentioned a 6 1/2" 3-way with the SB acoustics ceramic drivers is possible. How would a 6 1/2" 3-way with the
SB acoustics Ceramic drivers & be tweeter compare to the Tempesta MK II?
What would the fully assembled speaker retail for? Thanks-

pawsman

Great timing of your question! We are designing rectangular cabinets (no curves) for production here in the USA. I had priced out a design like you mentioned as a less expensive alternative to the Tempesta MK2. The cost with shipping (CUSA) would be $2,300/pair for standard veneers and about $2,500 for many exotic woods.

Tonally very close between the two but the Tempesta woofer has greater excursion ability if you drive the speaker really hard. It's difficult to compare without having listened to both side-by-side but I think for $2,300/pr. it would outperform speakers way more expensive.

pawsman

« Reply #13 on: 27 Apr 2018, 03:01 pm »
Rick,
Thanks, I'm interested, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.
I'll be in touch later in the year-

pawsman

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 27 Apr 2018, 03:33 pm »
Rick.  What about this design with the Satori paper ("papyrus") drivers?  I know you prefer hard drivers usually, but after hearing some really superb (very famous manufacturer, "W") 5 figure speakers with paper drivers sound amazing, I have interest in some of the "best" paper drivers out there.
It is interesting that SB Acoustics top level drivers are paper, and the ceramic option appears to be at a lower price point?  I would be interested in your opinion on this, as at some point in the next couple of years I am going to be considering some option for new speakers, and i use a JL 12" sub to good effect in my room, so a medium size 3-way slim tower makes sense for me.
I am kind of visualizing a tall, slim 3-way with Satori mid on top, Beryllium or Raal tweet below, and then two, or maybe three, Satori 6.5" woofers...

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #15 on: 27 Apr 2018, 05:10 pm »
Rick.  What about this design with the Satori paper ("papyrus") drivers?  I know you prefer hard drivers usually, but after hearing some really superb (very famous manufacturer, "W") 5 figure speakers with paper drivers sound amazing, I have interest in some of the "best" paper drivers out there.
It is interesting that SB Acoustics top level drivers are paper, and the ceramic option appears to be at a lower price point?  I would be interested in your opinion on this, as at some point in the next couple of years I am going to be considering some option for new speakers, and i use a JL 12" sub to good effect in my room, so a medium size 3-way slim tower makes sense for me.
I am kind of visualizing a tall, slim 3-way with Satori mid on top, Beryllium or Raal tweet below, and then two, or maybe three, Satori 6.5" woofers...

Yes, the Satori drivers are a good option. The SB ceramics are actually a combination of ceramic and aluminum (not just anodized) with a cone designed for better internal damping. I like the Satori paper-based cones too and you really cannot go wrong with either one.  I don't find there to be large differences between them; however, we can build to suite whatever preferences a customer has.

elessar

« Reply #16 on: 27 Apr 2018, 05:32 pm »
Are these ceramic drivers in any way similar to the ones used in the new Revel Be series?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #17 on: 27 Apr 2018, 05:40 pm »
Are these ceramic drivers in any way similar to the ones used in the new Revel Be series?

I believe so but they may be specified differently (magnet size, voicecoil length,etc).

MbA0308

« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2018, 03:08 am »
Hey everyone,

So Rick built these pair of "Ceramicas" for me and I took delivery of them sometime last month. I have actually been in the process of moving into a new home, so I haven't been able to post my thoughts/impressions on the speakers, which they certainly deserve.

First, Rick is a class act to deal with and do business with, and I can't say enough good things about him or recommend him enough to anyone who is considering one of his builds. I had purchased a set of 4 "Tonos" from him previously for my father, and I knew I wanted him to make me my own set of speakers when I was ready.. Rick kept in touch with me throughout the process, he responded to e-mails promptly, answered probably a few dozen questions from me, and he stuck to the lead time he and I originally discussed.

Speakers: I previously owned almost entirely Ascend products, the Sierra Towers, Sierra Bookshelves 1 & 2, and I used the Horizons as mains for a while. Absolutely loved everything I owned from them, so I certainly cannot take anything away from them. Simply put, I asked Rick to make me something that could beat out any pair of speakers I ever had, and he most certainly delivered. I love the "airy" sound of ribbon tweeters, coupled with a nice neutral sound. Rick gave me just that, and put together a pair of speakers that exceeded my expectations. I've found myself listening to more music than I typically do, only because I really enjoy the Ceramicas that much. Two things I've noticed about them which have really stood out: First, they sound absolutely perfect without a subwoofer. Granted, having the sub on does make a difference, but they just don't need it.. They sound full, and certainly don't lack anywhere that leaves me wanting more. And secondly, the way it literally sounds as if the sound is coming directly from the center speaker, even though it is not utilized in stereo mode, has left me speechless. I haven't ever been able to really "localize" the sound from them, they just blend and image perfectly. I mostly use them for TV/HT in a now nearly 4500 cubic foot room, and again, I have nothing more to desire. The build quality is superb, I went with a very simple black finish which for me is exactly what I wanted. The speakers are very heavy, they have a great base which gives me peace of mind, and it is evident the speakers were very well built.

In fact, I loved them so much, I put a deposit last week for Rick to build me a center speaker with matching drivers for the Ceramicas, and I can't wait to integrate them into my system! I am not familiar with every "ID" brand out there, I've really only been loyal to one brand before Selah, but from the research I've done, I am not sure that at this price point, and the quality of speakers Rick is putting out, anything else can compete.

Thanks again Rick, looking forward to my center.

Mike

HT cOz

« Reply #19 on: 7 Sep 2018, 01:19 am »
Rick,

My Ceramica project is coming along and the kit arrived and I was able to take it back to India. I’m working on a very special cabinet for it.

Thanks,
Robert
« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2018, 05:19 pm by HT cOz »