Will a dual subs in an sealed enclosure work like OB subs?

Early B.

Re: Will a dual subs in an sealed enclosure work like OB subs?
« Reply #20 on: 3 Mar 2020, 06:14 am »
I've communicated with the Rythmic Audio folks several times over my application and the use of the OB sub design. They do not recommend the OB sub unless used exclusively with OB mains and only in a 2 channel configuration. They state they are inefficient and do not have the low end extension a conventional sub is able to, and should, attain. They state the best configuration for great sound reproduction and good bass extension would be the dual opposed 12s or 15s. Seems that is their preferred design. I figure they know their product and I've decided to take their recommendations. I really get the impression they sell the OB systems only to the diehard OB believers. Which they are not. That would certainly explain why they don't offer an OB sub as a product offering. I've decided on the dual opposed configuration RA is recommending. 

Don't kill me. I'm just the messenger.

Glad you found what you wanted. OB isn't for everyone. In fact, most prospective OB servo sub owners will need to take into consideration space constraints, aesthetic issues (i.e., wife), prohibitive cost and/or DIY challenges. I encountered all four of these along the journey.  It's understandable why RA would steer you towards a box option.

Dual opposed 15's will thump hard.  8)   

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #21 on: 3 Mar 2020, 12:38 pm »
I've communicated with the Rythmic Audio folks several times over my application and the use of the OB sub design. They do not recommend the OB sub unless used exclusively with OB mains and only in a 2 channel configuration. They state they are inefficient and do not have the low end extension a conventional sub is able to, and should, attain. They state the best configuration for great sound reproduction and good bass extension would be the dual opposed 12s or 15s. Seems that is their preferred design. I figure they know their product and I've decided to take their recommendations. I really get the impression they sell the OB systems only to the diehard OB believers. Which they are not. That would certainly explain why they don't offer an OB sub as a product offering. I've decided on the dual opposed configuration RA is recommending. 

And nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, in my multisub setup, one of my subs is a dual opposed sealed 15’s. I intend to post a build thread in the future.

Either OB or closed box subs can be used for 2ch but which one you choose can be related to musical tastes in addition to what Early B mentioned.

Best,
Anand.

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 3 Mar 2020, 01:41 pm »

You must have been talking to the guy that works there.

We use OB woofers with everything and they work great with everything including sealed box speakers.

They aren't inefficient at all and they play just as low using a H frame alignment.

Bullitt5094

« Reply #23 on: 20 Mar 2020, 04:14 am »
No Danny. I talked to people who don't work there.  :duh: 

Picked the sub up from Rythmik in Austin last Friday. So far I am extremely impressed dealing with Rythmic. They spent a lot of time with my application and the quality of their product seems exceptional. They were even willing to meet me at their place on Saturday to allow me to pick it up. But ultimately we got on a Friday. Still a great level of customer service. Now getting the brute to the second floor up a set of curved stairs was challenging. But Tekton Ulfberhts are 7ft tall and weigh 200# each and those made it up there. I just hope the floor holds out!

The final answer...

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #24 on: 20 Mar 2020, 11:12 am »
No Danny. I talked to people who don't work there.  :duh: 

Picked the sub up from Rythmik in Austin last Friday. So far I am extremely impressed dealing with Rythmic. They spent a lot of time with my application and the quality of their product seems exceptional. They were even willing to meet me at their place on Saturday to allow me to pick it up. But ultimately we got on a Friday. Still a great level of customer service. Now getting the brute to the second floor up a set of curved stairs was challenging. But Tekton Ulfberhts are 7ft tall and weigh 200# each and those made it up there. I just hope the floor holds out!

The final answer...

Enjoy! Please post your impressions and measurements when you get a chance!

Best,
Anand.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #25 on: 20 Mar 2020, 02:56 pm »
"We use OB woofers with everything and they work great with everything including sealed box speakers. "

Would I get significant improvement if I pulled the woofers out of my old Dahlquist DQ-10s and put OB units in?