Happy New Year to All!

jsalk

Happy New Year to All!
« on: 3 Jan 2008, 02:33 am »
Just a quick note to say thanks to everyone for all your support and encouragement this past year.  We had our best year ever - BY FAR!  Most of this success is due to our many friends and acquaintances who help spread the word.  We are forever grateful to each and every one of you!

As we head into a New Year, please accept our best wishes.  We sincerely hope your New Year is as fruitful as ever and filled to overflowing with great sounds!

- Jim

fsimms

Re: Happy New Year to All!
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2008, 04:49 pm »
It is I who should be thanking you!  With my HT1's, you helped greatly making it a wonderful year for me aa  When I bought your speakers four years ago, you said that I could upgrade my system and that the speakers were good enough that they would let me hear the improvements.  That sure has been true.

Thanks again,

Bob

BrianM

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2008, 11:11 pm »
Most of this success is due to our many friends and acquaintances who help spread the word.  We are forever grateful to each and every one of you!

Jim, a direct-to-consumer operation like yours qualifies as a public service in my book.  Congrats on your best year yet, and thanks for bringing people closer to their music.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2008, 03:10 pm »
Happy New Year to you to Jim.  Congratulations to you on your best year ever!  I hope 2008 continues in that same direction.

Just a thought, over the holidays I was showing off my SongTowers (no surprise to readers here) to my brother-in-law.  He was impressed enough to make me happy, but he asked me something that I hadn't thought of before.  Why is there no badge or nameplate with logo on these speakers identifying them as a Salk Sound product?  I have stared enough at the pictures of speakers at the Salk Sound website to recognize their finish and front baffle style as sufficient identifiers of Salk products, but most other people haven't.

You probably have thought about this before, but with the increasing sales and exposure of your products, you might reconsider using a nameplate, even if it is tastefully understated and placed on the back near the binding posts.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound

Toka

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2008, 07:24 pm »
Happy New Year to all as well...hopefully this will be the year I can finally purchase some of your fine speakers!  8)

R Swerdlow

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2008, 07:28 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=44997.0

Thanks Dennis, I had missed that.

Jim - Are these nameplates still available, and how can I get two?

Richard

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2008, 07:39 pm »
Just a quick note to say thanks to everyone for all your support and encouragement this past year.  We had our best year ever - BY FAR!  Most of this success is due to our many friends and acquaintances who help spread the word.  We are forever grateful to each and every one of you!

As we head into a New Year, please accept our best wishes.  We sincerely hope your New Year is as fruitful as ever and filled to overflowing with great sounds!

- Jim

Jim,

Glad to see that you are continuing to grow and prosper! 

Having been a customer of yours for the last few years, I can absolutely attest to your quality products and outstanding service.  :thumb:

I wish you a great 2008.

George

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2008, 01:41 am »
Richard -

Why is there no badge or nameplate with logo on these speakers identifying them as a Salk Sound product?  I have stared enough at the pictures of speakers at the Salk Sound website to recognize their finish and front baffle style as sufficient identifiers of Salk products, but most other people haven't.

...you might reconsider using a nameplate, even if it is tastefully understated and placed on the back near the binding posts.

We do have nameplates and use them on all of our HT3's.  So far, I have also used them on two pairs of SongTowers.  Both were "custom" projects with upgraded veneers.  We have not included them on our standard SongTowers to date, but I think we are going to re-evaluate this. 

I will convey our initial thought processes and why nameplates haven't been used to date.  It all comes down to money.  Our nameplates run $8 each ($16/pr.) and require a couple of set screws and some time (labor) to install. 

Our goal with the SongTowers was to bring this speaker to market at a price of $1495.  This requires more than a little creativity if we don't want to cut corners on the cabinet construction.  For example, we had to adopt a few mass-production techniques to keep labor to a minimum. 

We have been asked quite a few times how we are able to produce this speaker at this price point.  As of now, the answer is we can't.  The last time a ran an analysis, I determined that the price should be about $1795 if we are to make our normal profit (which isn't all that much to begin with).  Adding nameplates will add about $25 - 30 to our cost (which is already too high for a $1495 price point).

So that is the reason we have not included nameplates thus far.  But we are continuing to refine our processes in order to reduce costs.  And perhaps a nameplate would be a good investment for us in the long term.  For years we never had any and it didn't seem to have much impact on sales one way or another.  On the other hand, I really like the looks of our speakers with nameplates.  So we may just bite the bullet on this one.

If you want nameplates, that can certainly be arranged.  Just PM or email me and we'll make it happen.

- Jim