cab,
I may just purchase a pair of those!

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Re: CNC mono chassis $71.50ea + shipping Utah
« Reply #101 on: 10 Jun 2012, 01:25 am »
check out iego iec if you must use inferior technology....they are the one of, if not the, best....

OK, $30 for gold over .9999 copper piques my interest.

Back to my preference for similar contact material: link to best priced IEC plug with gold plated contacts is appreciated. 

I could well be wrong, but sound unheard, regardless of cost my preference between:

1. IEC socket with nickel plated contacts/IEC plug with nickel plated contacts vs.
2. IEC socket with gold plated contacts/IEC plug with nickel plated contacts

...is #1 over #2.

IOW, I'd prefer (again, sound unheard) lower quality same metallurgy contacts over higher quality/disparate metallurgy contacts.  Call me krazy! 

Be interesting to know if anyone A-B'd such as described above. 

cab

« Reply #102 on: 10 Jun 2012, 03:00 am »
Why not get a silver plated socket and plug? Nickel is pretty poor in comparison...

mr_bill

« Reply #103 on: 10 Jun 2012, 04:08 am »
check out iego iec if you must use inferior technology....they are the one of, if not the, best....

Cab
Do you think the iego iec would fit the romeyn chassis?

cab

« Reply #104 on: 10 Jun 2012, 04:13 am »
I have no idea....

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #105 on: 10 Jun 2012, 05:08 am »
I have no idea....

post a link to the cutout and I'll check or you can look at the parts express website yourself

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #106 on: 10 Jun 2012, 05:09 am »
Why not get a silver plated socket and plug? Nickel is pretty poor in comparison...

sorry, is there a silver contact plug? 

cab

« Reply #107 on: 10 Jun 2012, 05:51 am »
There are several silver plated plugs...here is the iego line which includes solid silver as well:
http://www.rkcable.com.au/IeGoPower.htm

mr_bill

« Reply #108 on: 10 Jun 2012, 06:42 pm »
Jimbo
I checked out the neutrik female xlrs for the chsssis and there are a bunch of choices.
Which parts numbers work?

XLR alert...only known fit for this chassis is:

Neutrik
Chassis mount female (standard for input, diagonal fasteners...male is output with vertical fasteners)

Available with silver or gold plated contacts, either fit as both are otherwise mechanically identical (gold contacts = black finish, silver may be natural aluminum finish).

Someone recommended and I agree we should remove anodizing finish (scratch off or employ Dremel tool) at all earth contact points between the chassis and the amp, IEC, XLR, and power supply.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #109 on: 10 Jun 2012, 06:55 pm »
Jimbo
I checked out the neutrik female xlrs for the chsssis and there are a bunch of choices.
Which parts numbers work?

The only two known XLR that fit the cutout I specified are $25 Cardas and Neutrik NC3FDL-1....the latter is low cost with nickel contacts. 

Don't purchase any XLR till I post a follow up, hopefully later tonight.   

Mike emailed Friday he would start cutting.  I will email "Urgent" subject right now to change (if possible) the cutout for Neutrik NC3FP-1 (gold or silver contact). 

I'll post outcome ASAP.

« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2012, 09:33 pm by James Romeyn »

mr_bill

« Reply #110 on: 10 Jun 2012, 07:08 pm »
Thanks jimbo

Anyone know of any higher quality xlr female chassis mounts that will fit?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #111 on: 10 Jun 2012, 07:08 pm »
OK...you guys are driving me nuts with these cool IEC receptacles, but that's what this is all about right?

Trung found these, pretty darn affordable, and the prescribed hole sizes are extremely close to my cheapo PE number:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/prod_pdf/ftech_65010.pdf
http://www.partsconnexion.com/FTECHAC-65010img.htm

$17 for Rhodium, not bad! 

Holes to front mount rhodium above: 19.5 x 27.4, M3 fastener centers on 40
Our holes for PE part....................: 19.3 x 27.1, M3.3 fastener centers on 39.7

1. +.2 each fastener diameter should perfectly fit -.3 centers
2. Little to no filing to fit -.2 x -.3mm rectangle

Trung hits a homer, so far!

I'm convinced and cry mercy as soon as I see a link to not too costly rhodium or gold contact IEC plug!

Set my Ncore people free! (of cheapo IEC connectors) 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #112 on: 10 Jun 2012, 07:15 pm »
Thanks jimbo

Anyone know of any higher quality xlr female chassis mounts that will fit?

Only thing I know of would be to cryo these...waiting anxiously to be found wrong!

Home cryo can be be done, but I've not tried it, yet.  Freeze it in your home freezer (wife will love that, ya?) for a few days, then in the dry ice in a foam container....should cryo my Stan Warren recipe wires but never got round to it. 

srb

« Reply #113 on: 10 Jun 2012, 08:14 pm »
Home cryo can be be done, but I've not tried it, yet.  Freeze it in your home freezer (wife will love that, ya?) for a few days, then in the dry ice in a foam container....should cryo my Stan Warren recipe wires but never got round to it.

If there is any validity to cryogenically treating electrical connectors and wire to cause molecular change for increased conductivity, I wouldn't imagine it would happen at relatively warm dry ice temperatures (-109 degrees F).  Cryogenic temperatures are generally in the range of -396 degrees F to -459 degrees F (-238 degrees C to -273 degrees C), and even then the carefully controlled rate of freezing and returning to room temperature is critical.

Steve
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2012, 10:24 pm by srb »

cab

« Reply #114 on: 10 Jun 2012, 09:02 pm »
Cardas makes excellent chassis mount xlr sockets. They are about the only ones around with a teflon dialectric. Contacts are rhodium over silver. They cost around $25 a piece. Body is gold plated...Everything close to this quality is twice the price....

mr_bill

« Reply #115 on: 10 Jun 2012, 09:31 pm »
Cardas makes excellent chassis mount xlr sockets. They are about the only ones around with a teflon dialectric. Contacts are rhodium over silver. They cost around $25 a piece. Body is gold plated...Everything close to this quality is twice the price....

Right on cab - I just ordered 4.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #116 on: 10 Jun 2012, 09:34 pm »
The only two known XLR that fit the cutout I specified are $25 Cardas and Neutrik NC3FDL-1....the latter is low cost with nickel contacts. 

Mike emailed Friday he would start cutting.  I will email "Urgent" subject right now to change (if possible) the cutout for Neutrik NC3FP-1 (gold or silver contact). 

I'll post outcome ASAP.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #117 on: 10 Jun 2012, 09:51 pm »
If there is any validity to cryogenically treating electrical connectors and wire to cause molecular change for increased conductivity, I wouldn't imagine it would happen at relatively warm dry ice temperatures (-109 degrees F).  Cryogenic temperatures are generally in the range of -238 degrees F to -273 degrees F, and even then the carefully controlled rate of freezing and returning to room temperature is critical.

Steve
Mine is done to -350*F with a ramp down that take 48hrs then the same for ramp up.

srb

« Reply #118 on: 10 Jun 2012, 10:23 pm »
Mine is done to -350*F with a ramp down that take 48hrs then the same for ramp up.

I mistakenly quoted Centigrade temps and labeled them Farenheit.  It should have read: " -396 degrees F to -459 degrees F (-238 degrees C to -273 degrees C) "

Steve

mr_bill

« Reply #119 on: 16 Jun 2012, 07:06 pm »
Jimbo,
Do you have any updates for us, I need to order the IECs and xlr chassis pieces.
Thanks,
Bill

I'll post outcome ASAP.