Bryston B135 cubed integrated amplifier keeps blowing fuses

ivanlyf

Dear Bryston users,

My 5 months old Bryston B135 cubed has been blowing its fuse repeatedly. I've already emailed Mike previously about this and am awaiting his response to my latest email on what I should do.

Has anybody else encountered this problem before in your Bryston power amps or integrated amps? The fuse doesn't blow when the unit is on standby, in the latest round, it blew its fuse while powering up.

I've already taken Mike's advice to switch to a slow blowing fuse for my country and also my country's authorized distributor's advice to just leaving the integrated amplifier on standby.

Quite disappointed and puzzled, this is the 4th Bryston device I've owned so far (BDA-2, BHA-1, BCD-3, B135 cubed) and the 1st ever to give me repeated problems.

I don't think it's the wall socket nor the power conditioner as my B135 cubed and BCD-3 share the same power conditioner + wall socket, and my BCD-3 is working fine.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston B135 cubed integrated amplifier keeps blowing fuses
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2019, 09:51 am »
HI Ivan

Sorry you are having a problem.

I will forward this to the engineer that designed the B135 and see if he can help.

james

George2842

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2020, 10:31 am »
Dear Bryston users,

My 5 months old Bryston B135 cubed has been blowing its fuse repeatedly. I've already emailed Mike previously about this and am awaiting his response to my latest email on what I should do.

Has anybody else encountered this problem before in your Bryston power amps or integrated amps? The fuse doesn't blow when the unit is on standby, in the latest round, it blew its fuse while powering up.

I've already taken Mike's advice to switch to a slow blowing fuse for my country and also my country's authorized distributor's advice to just leaving the integrated amplifier on standby.

Quite disappointed and puzzled, this is the 4th Bryston device I've owned so far (BDA-2, BHA-1, BCD-3, B135 cubed) and the 1st ever to give me repeated problems.

I don't think it's the wall socket nor the power conditioner as my B135 cubed and BCD-3 share the same power conditioner + wall socket, and my BCD-3 is working fine.

17 Jan 2020
Hi There, I am having exactly the same problem with my Bryston 135 cubed. Blowing fuses in the power inlet on the amp. Have tried different wall sockets and different power leads, problem persists.

I have been in touch with PMC - authorised service agents in the UK for Bryston and I have to return to them. Hoping it will be a quick fix. Has your problem been rectified now?

ivanlyf

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2020, 12:44 am »
Dear George,

Sorry for missing out on your thread. Are you staying in the UK?  If so, we are using the same mains voltage at 230V thereabouts.

I did some asking around among fellow Bryston owners in Singapore - someone told me that he encountered a similar problem for his BP-17 cubed preamplifier, the fuse blows very easily. I was recommended by that owner to try a 4A fuse instead of the 3.15A fuse that Bryston recommends.

The 4A fuse seems to resolve the problem - it's more than 6 months now and the fuse hasn't blown. I've even used my B135 in the worst case scenario (i.e. in the evenings as all fuse blown incidents to date occurred in the evening) and everything's fine.

I would also like to share some observations I made (sorry - I'm a scientist by training and work in Quality Assurance so data trending is commonly done):

i. It seems that the fuse blowing issue is affecting regions that run on the UK system of 230V mains
ii. This is a new problem only for the cubed series, the SST2 generation of the B135 didn't have this issue.
iii. Perhaps it's because the B135 is common with the BP-17, that is why another user encountered a similar issue on the BP-17.

For Bryston to comment maybe?

ivanlyf

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2020, 12:50 am »

17 Jan 2020
Hi There, I am having exactly the same problem with my Bryston 135 cubed. Blowing fuses in the power inlet on the amp. Have tried different wall sockets and different power leads, problem persists.

I have been in touch with PMC - authorised service agents in the UK for Bryston and I have to return to them. Hoping it will be a quick fix. Has your problem been rectified now?

I've returned my B135 cubed to the authorised distributor in Singapore twice - they did a check but could not find anything wrong with the unit.

ccpeabody

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2020, 12:51 pm »
I did some asking around among fellow Bryston owners in Singapore - someone told me that he encountered a similar problem for his BP-17 cubed preamplifier, the fuse blows very easily. I was recommended by that owner to try a 4A fuse instead of the 3.15A fuse that Bryston recommends.
For Bryston to comment maybe?

Please do not listen to anyone that suggests you should utilize a larger fuse than what is recommended by the Manufacturer.  A fuse is designed to protect a circuit and is sized accordingly.  By putting a larger fuse in the circuit, you are potentially subjecting the circuit to higher than intended current levels which may end up causing serious damage to your amplifier.

R. Daneel

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2020, 08:30 am »
Chaps, for what it's Worth, I have read about idential problems with the previous generation of this amplifier, B135 SST2. Considering both SST2 and Cubed series use identical power amplifier circuit, it would be logical to assume this is where the probblem lies. I think Bryston should investigate this as it is clearly a problem on a certain number of units.

Also, I despise authorized distributors who refuse to send the amplifier to the manufacturer in order to save money. It is false pretence to think they can solve the problem when the manufacturer itself cannot seem to find a solution. Speaking generally.

Cheers!

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2020, 01:22 pm »
Antun,
You should be the unofficial Bryston Troubleshooter!   :lol:

R. Daneel

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2020, 01:15 pm »
Antun,
You should be the unofficial Bryston Troubleshooter!   :lol:

I do seem to have a knack for finding everything that's wrong with the equipment!

But ultimately, I believe this sort of feedback is much more useful to the manufacturer than the typical "well done". If a manufacturer is interested in providing the best possible quality, there should be nothing offensive about these sorts of comments.

ivanlyf

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2020, 03:55 pm »
Chaps, for what it's Worth, I have read about idential problems with the previous generation of this amplifier, B135 SST2. Considering both SST2 and Cubed series use identical power amplifier circuit, it would be logical to assume this is where the probblem lies. I think Bryston should investigate this as it is clearly a problem on a certain number of units.

Also, I despise authorized distributors who refuse to send the amplifier to the manufacturer in order to save money. It is false pretence to think they can solve the problem when the manufacturer itself cannot seem to find a solution. Speaking generally.

Cheers!

Hmm, maybe my unit fell within the problematic batch.

Agree with you on the authorized distributors who refuse to send the amplifier to the manufacturer in order to save money. I was actually prepared to send it back on my own account...but the 4A fuse seemed to work so I left it as that.

Maybe I'll send it in to Bryston after 5 years - the shipping from Singapore to Canada is expensive so I would only do it when I'm ready to sell it off or something.

I dont know if it's the 230V mains in Singapore and the UK that is the problem - I don't hear of any folks in the US / Canada complaining of this problem and your mains run at 120V

R. Daneel

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2020, 01:09 pm »
Hmm, maybe my unit fell within the problematic batch.

Agree with you on the authorized distributors who refuse to send the amplifier to the manufacturer in order to save money. I was actually prepared to send it back on my own account...but the 4A fuse seemed to work so I left it as that.

Maybe I'll send it in to Bryston after 5 years - the shipping from Singapore to Canada is expensive so I would only do it when I'm ready to sell it off or something.

I dont know if it's the 230V mains in Singapore and the UK that is the problem - I don't hear of any folks in the US / Canada complaining of this problem and your mains run at 120V

Sadly, that just means people in the US are less likely to claim warranty than people in Europe. This is what the statistics show.

To me the equipment is either working perfectly or it is broken and this is exactly how you should look at it too. People shouldn't behave like drunken millionaires when it comes to spending money on indulgances of this sort. We'd all be better off if they didn't.

Some of the stuff HI-FI manufacturers sell costs an unbelievable amount of money as though it is something built by Boeing. So you should be 100% confident the equipment will work perfectly as if your life depended on it - which it would be if you flew in a Boeing.

There are very few HI-FI manufacturers in the world that can provide this level of reliability and most of them are Japanese.

I have seen some seriously flawed equipment to the point I couldn't believe some of it was sold as a finished product. I'm not an electrical design engineer but some principles apply to all fields of engineering and I know if I made products like that, I'd be out of business. Bottom line, don't buy any of the CD players in the Cyrus line-up or any of the digital streamers in the Naim line-up. Owning such contraptions is like a curse.

I know this isn't helpful to you but it might make you feel better.

Cheers!

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2020, 01:48 pm »

Some of the stuff HI-FI manufacturers sell costs an unbelievable amount of money as though it is something built by Boeing. So you should be 100% confident the equipment will work perfectly as if your life depended on it - which it would be if you flew in a Boeing.

Cheers!

Boeing ain't a model of corporate/engineering excellence right now!  :o