Mike Dzurko is retiring from audio

Mike Dzurko

Mike Dzurko is retiring from audio
« on: 27 Nov 2009, 02:27 pm »
It is time for me to retire from audio. There are a number of factors that contribute to this decision, but what it really comes down to are time, and people. For most of the last 32 years I have tried to balance family, teaching, and ACI. I would say the balancing act has been far less than perfect.

I could go into great detail about this, but there is no point to that. Suffice to say that approximately a year ago I made the decision that something had to change. To be the best teacher, husband and father I could be, something had to go. I love the world of audio and music, and over the last year have been in contact with a number of individuals and groups who have been interested in purchasing ACI and continuing a fine tradition. If the overall consumer economy was stronger, this would have been a done deal months ago. However, as of this date, we do not have a firm deal, and I will no longer continue working at this pace.

My accountant has advised me that we need to have this all wrapped up before year end. From this moment forward, all remaining inventory/equipment is for sale, ?as is?. If there is something you are interested in, make me an offer via PM or email, I?ll say yes, no, or counter offer. I will be posting a list of equipment that is available, (non-inventory), within the next couple of days.

Now, there is a definite possibility that someone, or some group may decide to purchase ACI assets and continue. Perhaps one of you reading this will be interested. You?d have an excellent 32 year reputation, wonderful product designs, a well structured website, shopping cart, etc. You?d also have a data base of great customers who would love to continue to be able to purchase ACI products. I would be willing to assist with a transition. I might be willing to stay on in certain limited time capacities.  Frankly, you?d have to invest at least five to ten times the $$$ I?m willing to take to do this from ?scratch?. If you are seriously interested, contact me directly via PM or email.

I sincerely thank each and every one of you who has supported ACI over the years. I do hope that someone will decide they want to continue the fine tradition that we have built over the last 32 years.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Mike Dzurko is retiring from audio
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2009, 02:36 pm »
Sorry to hear that Mike.
But given the choices at hand, it sounds like you've got your priorities straight.
I wish you the best of luck. Take care man.

Bob

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2009, 02:39 pm »
Congratulations on your decision. Brighter skies lie ahead.   :thumb:

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2009, 02:53 pm »
Sorry to hear that Mike, thanks for all the great years of service and products you gave us.

I can think of no greater contributor to society than that of a great teacher and father.  Thanks for being one.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2009, 03:22 pm »
Thank you very much for the nice sentiments.  I'm not sure about being a "great teacher" but I'm a good one and love working with the kids. I'm enjoying it even more as I have more time to really devote to it. My own kids are pretty much grown, but I am so thankful that they still want to spend time with me/us, and this will help provide more of that time. I can definitely see more fishing next summer with all three kids :)

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2009, 03:32 pm »
You've also been a great father to your products as they grew up.  Now it's time to let "them" go out on their own.   
You can (and should) be available to any new owners to help with advice, kinda like a grandfather.
I can completely relate to you situation.  I have been a professional photographer for years.  It started as a hobby that got completely out of hand, and now I dream of just going back to it solely as a hobby.  Now I love teaching others instead of doing job myself. 

OTOH, as a non-ACI owner, is there an ACI inventory list to get is started on?    :)

Good luck on a good decision!

'brick

jackman

« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2009, 03:39 pm »
I'm very sad to  hear another US audio company may be coming to an end.  Mike is one of the good guys in the business and hope the ACI tradition is picked up by another mfg.  Hopefully someone will buy the business and carry on the proud tradition of ACI speakers.  It would be disappointing to see someone buy the company for the name and slap ACI on some cookie cutter Chinese made junk.  ACI has a strong heritage and I'm shocked and disappointed but understand that Mike is making the best decision for himself and his family. 

Best of luck with future ventures and I hope Mike continues to be a part of this website. 

Cheers,

J

Photon46

« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2009, 03:47 pm »
Good luck Mike, I know it wasn't an easy decision. I hope a buyout with quality ownership can be consummated for sake of your personal investments,  the continuation of the ACI lineup, and the ACI employees. You definitely created a unique high value product line for real music lovers.

Bigfish

« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2009, 04:05 pm »
Mike:

While we will certainly miss you at ACI I believe you have made a commitment to do the most important job in this country - educating our future leadership.  Best of luck Mike!

Ken

pardales

« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2009, 04:07 pm »
Best to you in your future endeavors!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #10 on: 27 Nov 2009, 04:12 pm »
 It sounds like you made a decision based on family priorities and that deserves respect. I have been in the same situation myself and have made the decision that 2010 will be handled differently with the proper balance between business and family.

32 years is a very respsctable run at any business. I wish you the very best in your continued goals in life.

Be well.

Affordable$$Audio

« Reply #11 on: 27 Nov 2009, 04:48 pm »
Mike:
You've always been at the top of my list of manufacturers to work with these past four years.  I wish that some other manufacturer on this forum will step forward and carry the torch of your fine products.  Such excellent design and sound quality should not be lost to audio.

MaxCast

« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov 2009, 05:24 pm »
Congratulations on your decision. Brighter skies lie ahead.   :thumb:

Yes, Mike, congrats on your decision.  You can't go wrong on this.
Good luck with the transition.  I hope you find a buyer to continue the respectable name of ACI.

Rich

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #13 on: 27 Nov 2009, 05:32 pm »
Well Mike, I have conficting emotions. On  side, I feel fortunate to have been a customer (Force XL subwoofer) and have appreciated your willingnesss to help me with it's integration. You've always made yourself assessable to your customers and to all audiophiles in general. You have the ONLY circle on AudioCircle that's open to all, members and guests. That alone says a lot of the type of person you are and you will be missed.  :thumb:

But on the other hand, being free of the burdon of maintaining an audio business in today's economy will surely benefit both your family loved ones and all your students now that you'll have the time and peace of mind. This makes me happy for them as they will surely enjoy the extra attention that you've given the audio community for 32 years. They are a lucky group.  :D

Thanks and enjoy Mike.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Mudslide

« Reply #14 on: 27 Nov 2009, 05:36 pm »
The quality name of ACI will live on, Mike, as will the friendships you've made over the years.  As we know and has been said, you are one of the fine and best people in this industry. 

I wish you the very best in accomplishing all your new goals.  One door closes.  One opens.

Good cheer always.

RJ

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #15 on: 27 Nov 2009, 10:27 pm »
I appreciate all the kind comments  :D

First, I want to emphasize that this is not the economy. We've survived a number of down cycles in 32 years, we could continue through this one. What the economy has done is get in the way of an actual sale. No one seems to want to invest right now, and I do understand that sentiment. However, for the right person(s), it could be an exceptional investment.

I want to add that one of the "details" I have been working on is an ongoing means of support for ACI customers. IF ACI is not purchased, I have made arrangements for another company to continue to provide on-going support. Yes, we do have folks with 15, 20, 25year olds ACI systems that get crossovers fried by lightening, woofers blown, etc. This company has been around for about as long as we have and they will be getting all the old archived manuals, crossover diagrams, etc. Can't tell you the exact timing on this, but probably after Jan. 1. I believe they will keep this forum open as well.

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #16 on: 27 Nov 2009, 10:49 pm »
Hey Mike, I'm sure you mean "retiring from speaker design and manufacturing", audio is in the blood, you cant get away from it!

Its been a pleasure and I still hope someday you make it over, the invite is always open and the beer is always cold! I have said, it is very hard to do 2 things great and the kids need you more then we do. This is a hobby, for the kids, it is life!

Glad to hear we will still have ACI  support. All I have put all my ACI speakers through, I cant believe I will ever need a replacement part, but I just might get even wilder one day and maybe I will!

Not sure what is bigger news, Mike D. retiring from speaker manufacturing or Tiger Woods in a car crash! Both are as shocking!  :o

I wish you well and rock on Mike D.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #17 on: 27 Nov 2009, 10:50 pm »
This is indeed very sad news :( When I first got into DIY audio, Mike Dzurko was one of the biggest fellas in the business, along with George Short of North Creek Music. In the mid 1990's, his Jaguar MT that used the SS 8545 and SS 9000/9300/9500 tweeter series was a great design. It had a front baffle with a cool blue corian finish and the build quality was exceptional. There was also a matching subwoofer that included a parametric equalizer so it could be dialed in to most any room. The sub was the perfect height so that the Jaguar could just sit on it. At about the same time was the Shadow loudspeaker. It was an MTMWW design using two Vifa P13 type midwoofer, a SS 9300 tweeter and what looked like Vifa M22 midwoofers as well. The front baffle was very narrow since the midwoofers are only 5.5 inches in diameter. In addition they were staggered on the baffle to minimize diffraction issues. Mike also brought out a very cool 3 piece system. I don't know what name it went by, but it included a Bohlender Graebner RD75 ribbon, a midwoofer system consisting of two Vifa 10 inch paper cone woofers and a subwoofer system as well. I don't know how well it sold, but it definitely was in the SOTA category at the time. Believe it or not, I still have the white papers and info sheets on all of the aforementioned designs that Mike personally sent me.

Whether you bought from Mike or not didn't seem to matter to him. He was always there for DIY questions. He sold numerous subwoofer drivers, midwoofers, etc...and definitely supported our community. Earlier during this decade, he expanded to home theater offerings and I was happy to see that his designs continued to succeed at such low prices. As a subwoofer, the ACI Titan and all its iterations were legendary.

When I started to see that he was phasing out his home theater units, I got worried that something awful was happening to the business. I then thought he was just streamlining his series of speakers and wanted to reconcentrate on two channel audio as his ACI Sapphires seem super popular and used some incredible quality SS drivers that you only see in mega dollar systems.

So this announcement seems sudden but at the same time I do understand that family comes first. I just wanted y'all to know that Mike didn't just appease the two channel, home theater crowd (i.e. paying customers)...he also had a dear heart for diy'ers. I learned plenty from him, and it was all for free.

Thanks Mike  :wink:. We'll miss you  :|.

Anand.

stereocilia

« Reply #18 on: 27 Nov 2009, 11:23 pm »
Black Friday.   :cry:

Mike, I count myself among the many fans of ACI.  Thanks for bringing so much to this hobby.  I enjoy my ACI Sapphire XLs every day for music and movies, and my Titan XL is an indispensable part of my music-only system.

I can see why a decision to retire might be both agonizing and a relief at the same time.  You will be missed, but it does my heart well to know that it seems you are leaving for the right reasons.

pingong

« Reply #19 on: 27 Nov 2009, 11:35 pm »
Mike, good time to escape  :)

Happy holidays to every body.

long time

cheers Ping

ThanksGiving. Free McIntoch

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/general/messages/55/555716.html