A nice pair of 2.5's on eBay

medium jim

A nice pair of 2.5's on eBay
« on: 6 May 2012, 04:20 pm »
I really love my 2.5's, which are a true ribbon 2way planar and think they're one of the best planars ever made, but I'm prejudiced.  Might be good for someone in the New Jersey area....I have no affiliation with the seller and am just passing along a good deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnepan-MG-2-5-R-True-Ribbon-Magneplanar-Speakers-Pair-/330727262557?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item4d00e1895d

Jim

Freo-1

Re: A nice pair of 2.5's on eBay
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2012, 04:38 pm »
Nice speakers.  Always liked the sound of Maggies with ribbon tweeters.  They espcially sound good with vintage Audio Research (like a D 115 II).

medium jim

Re: A nice pair of 2.5's on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2012, 05:27 pm »
Probably reduntant, but if you can, listen to them in person, if the seller will allow you and with music you are familiar with.  Check that both ribbons are working, and listen behind the panels for any buzzing or distortion.   Buzzing will usually be mid panel and distortion at the top or bottom. 

Distortion is from banana peeling where the aluminum wires do their u-turn and buzzing is from wires that are lifting mid panel. 

This is typical with the older maggies that used the older glue.  If there isn't, grab them, if there is some or a little, try to negotiate the price. 

The repair is time consuming, mostly disassembling and reassembling.   Magnepan sells repair kits, i.e., the glue and instructions.  Ribbons are about $175 each with core exchange and are easy to install.

Great speakers and worth it even if a little TLC is required.

Jim