BDP-Pi and Safari problem

BDP-Pi and Safari problem
« on: 21 Jul 2020, 07:12 am »
Hi all, new to the forum.  My apologies that I can't search yet to see if the topic was already covered.

Purchased a BDP-Pi and a BDA-3 several months ago.  Have been enjoying the BDA-3 with CD transports.

Just got around to trying the BDP-Pi and can't get the GUI to work correctly in Safari. 

Now - here is where things get complicated, and unrelatable for some people:

I absolutely hate having anything connected to the "internet."  I also hate updating software.  I hate adding any apps or software.

The iphone IOS version is 12.2
The BDP-Pi version is S2.42

The Pi is connected via ETH to a wifi router.  When the GUI is accessed via a laptop hardwired everything works fine.

Using my iphone/Safari the GUI will not add anything to playlist.  I can see the files but they won't add to playlist.  Where the queued track would normally be seen there is a -1 etc.

I was hoping that these versions from a couple years ago should work.  I won't even explain what hassle I would go through to update my phone version.  The wifi router has no internet access.

Hoping there is a Safari setting or something I'm missing to make this work?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BDP-Pi and Safari problem
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2020, 01:21 pm »
If you really want to avoid the hassle of updating the firmware on your BDP i guess you could place it into service mode and email us the service id asking us to do it remotely.  Admittedly the BDP-Pi units don't have the greatest track record of effortless updates.

Your phone not working is very strange it should work with iOS 12, what your describing sounds like a certain part of the web interface is failing to execute and this is normally seen with really old devices (like pre 2010).  Would you mind navigating to the link below on your phone and clicking the link to your BDP-Pi and trying that?

http://www.mybryston.com/

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2020, 11:58 pm »
Thanks Chris.  Accessing the www.mybryston.com did not work via the iphone, or via the computer on the same network, I have to type in the direct IP address.   The router is set to DHCP but I have it set to always give the BDP-Pi MAC the same address.  I do not know what type of non-dns based name resolution multicast is used but it's probably not passing through the wifi router.

I would be open to moving the BDP-Pi to another network with direct internet access but let me ask a couple of questions first:

1.  Does going to a newer version of BDP-Pi firmware create more or less backward compatibility?
2.  Is there a compatibility matrix listed somewhere with Browser/BDP-Pi versions?  I discovered that some older IE and Chrome installs do not work with the Pi, but the older Firefox ones work ok.

Thanks again!

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2020, 01:08 am »
SOLVED:

I tried to connect via wifi from the laptop instead of the iphone and the GUI looked the same:

1. Showing a -1 in the now playing
2. Can't add/remove/see tracks in playlist
3. Track forward/stop/pause buttons are there but Play button is missing

That's how I knew that the problem was unique to wifi.

Wifi router had a policy rule to only allow HTTP.  Set it to "any" port and now it works fine.

Hope this helps someone else!

Follow up question for you Chris:
When the BDP-Pi is behind a firewall, what ports are required to access it?  Maybe it's published in a document that I didn't read?

Thanks!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2020, 12:02 pm »
SOLVED:

I tried to connect via wifi from the laptop instead of the iphone and the GUI looked the same:

1. Showing a -1 in the now playing
2. Can't add/remove/see tracks in playlist
3. Track forward/stop/pause buttons are there but Play button is missing

That's how I knew that the problem was unique to wifi.

Wifi router had a policy rule to only allow HTTP.  Set it to "any" port and now it works fine.

Hope this helps someone else!

Follow up question for you Chris:
When the BDP-Pi is behind a firewall, what ports are required to access it?  Maybe it's published in a document that I didn't read?

Thanks!

Websockets was being blocked, i've seen some weird security features introduced in some wireless routers in the past few years, but i think a router blocking specific ports on its wireless interface is a first, I'm also assuming that was its default behavior.

Chris